LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Rep: Reputation: 23
USB for VMWare and Slackware 14.0


I finally got Slackware 14.0 x64 up and running and it's been good so far. The only issue I have now is that USB does not exist for VMWare Workstation 8, whereas it did before upgrading from Slackware 13.37 x64. Anyone have any suggestions on this?
 
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
zasavage
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: Bloemfontein , South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37 and Slackware 14
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 6
@dimm0k

I see yo upgraded from 13.37 ,

You have to reinstall vmware for it to work properly
The USB's will work after the reinstall I am nearly 100% sure

Regards

Lawrence
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 2,553

Rep: Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424
or just try running
Code:
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
I have tried rebuilding the VMWare modules and while there were no errors during the build, my USB devices still do not show in VMWare. I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.0.1 after upgrading from 8.0.5 and this is happening in both versions. Thinking it had something to do with the stock Slackware 14 kernel, I compiled my own 3.6.7 kernel using the one from /testing, but no difference.

I had briefly created a new vm, but stopped prior to installing an OS into it. Assumed that it would show USB devices even without an OS and because it didn't, I also assumed that this issue would occur even with an OS.
 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
I have tried rebuilding the VMWare modules and while there were no errors during the build, my USB devices still do not show in VMWare. I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.0.1 after upgrading from 8.0.5 and this is happening in both versions. Thinking it had something to do with the stock Slackware 14 kernel, I compiled my own 3.6.7 kernel using the one from /testing, but no difference.

I had briefly created a new vm, but stopped prior to installing an OS into it. Assumed that it would show USB devices even without an OS and because it didn't, I also assumed that this issue would occur even with an OS.
I think you need to add the following to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
Code:
/etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start
Run it manually to test it first. Make sure VMWare is not running first. Hope this helps!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
I think you need to add the following to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
Code:
/etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start
Run it manually to test it first. Make sure VMWare is not running first. Hope this helps!
I'll give it a shot tonight, but it's weird that I would have to add that... VMWare Workstation 8 was working fine before upgrading the Slackware 14.0.
 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
I'm not sure at what point they started doing that. I remember that being a gotcha when I first tried their latest version of VMPlayer. I believe that for rpm based distros, that is already enabled using chkconfig.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Also, if there is nothing in /etc/init.d, check /etc/rc.d/init.d instead.
 
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
I think you need to add the following to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
Code:
/etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator start
Run it manually to test it first. Make sure VMWare is not running first. Hope this helps!
WOW! It worked! That script is there and without ever rebooting the machine, I'm a little surprised why the install script for VMWare never started it afterward. Anyhow starting that script and then opening VMWare has everything working again! Thank you!
 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
WOW! It worked! That script is there and without ever rebooting the machine, I'm a little surprised why the install script for VMWare never started it afterward. Anyhow starting that script and then opening VMWare has everything working again! Thank you!
Awesome! Great to hear. That reason that is not enabled in Slackware by default is because VMWare expects either chkconfig or sysctl (systemd) to be installed. Otherwise, you have to start those scripts manually. I believe that is the only other one script, other than the default, that you need to worry about.
 
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
Awesome! Great to hear. That reason that is not enabled in Slackware by default is because VMWare expects either chkconfig or sysctl (systemd) to be installed. Otherwise, you have to start those scripts manually. I believe that is the only other one script, other than the default, that you need to worry about.
Hrmm, but this file is located in /etc/rc.d/init.d along with vmware and vmware-workstation-server with the +x attribute. Don't all executable files in /etc/rc.d including /etc/rc.d/init.d get run during boot?
 
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
Hrmm, but this file is located in /etc/rc.d/init.d along with vmware and vmware-workstation-server with the +x attribute. Don't all executable files in /etc/rc.d including /etc/rc.d/init.d get run during boot?
No, you have to add it manually to /etc/rc.d/rc.local as far as I know.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
dimm0k
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn ZOO
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 389

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
No, you have to add it manually to /etc/rc.d/rc.local as far as I know.
What about the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d directories? I believe those are processed based on runlevels, in which rc2.d, rc3.d and rc5.d all have links pointing to their respective scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d. vmware-USBArbitrator is one script linked in the rc?.d directories.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
What about the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d directories? I believe those are processed based on runlevels, in which rc2.d, rc3.d and rc5.d all have links pointing to their respective scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d. vmware-USBArbitrator is one script linked in the rc?.d directories.
Hmm...interesting. I'm not sure. I don't think I've looked that deep into the rc?.d directories. I just always put it manually on rc.local. That will always work. :-)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware in vmware usb, video and time sync problems daspooky Slackware 3 08-31-2007 10:07 PM
vmware server 2.5 Vmware tools in slackware 12 mr_sarge Slackware 5 07-18-2007 06:14 AM
HP Deskjet (USB) & CUPS & Slackware 9.1: Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0&qu arnostienen Slackware 2 01-29-2004 03:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration