SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have slackware 9.1 installed on my computer, upgraded to slackware current using swaret. Yesterday i upgraded (among others) XFree to version 4.4
The upgrade worked fine, but after starting X again, all the fonts suddenly looked s o m e t h i n g l i k e t h i s. very annoying
I have created a new X configuration file, but that did't help either.
here are some pieces from the Xfree logfile, about fonts:
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(**) FontPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/, removing from list!
Am i missing some font here, that Xfree 4.3 wasn't using?
maybe you should copy back your fonts.conf which before you upgrade, i upgrade xfree86* to the current using upgradepkg , and i notice it changed my fonts.conf ,so i copy my fonts.conf back. and everything work fine. just try it ,good luck~
Yeah I had the same problem with the artwiz fonts in my fluxbox stuff, and that was about it. I've temporarily gone back to 4.3... I just removed all the 4.4 packages and reinstalled all the 4.3 ones, it's working fine.
I too had this problem. I've tried everything...redoing mkfontdir, fc-cache, I even downloaded XFree86 from slackware 9.0 and got the fonts.conf file out of it and put it in /etc/fonts...nothing. Someone's got to know the answer to this...
I downgraded back to KDE 3.2.0 briefly and it worked (just removed the 3.2.1 packages and reinstalled the 3.2.0 ones, then I just ditched KDE entirely which felt great, the only app I needed it for was Kate and I'm finally getting good enough with vim to be able to lose it.
At first i had X 4.3 installed, then upgraded it to 4.4 (manually, using upgradepkg). It had the same results, fonts where still messed up. After that i removed X , and then installed Xfree 4.4. now all works fine.
Even better, i gave kernel 2.6 another try. Besides some small wierdo things, all works perfectly. Now my computer feels even faster than it felt before
I had the same problems as others.
All I did was copying some popular MS ttf fonts into:
This folder was mentioned in top of my XF86Config file.
Next, I reused these fonts in Kde, Konqueror and Opera settings.
It seems all work well now.
Ibm T23, Slack 9.1, kernel 2.4.25, kde 3.21, XFree 4.4