LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   updating existing packages in slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/updating-existing-packages-in-slackware-716972/)

vitalstrike82 04-05-2009 09:14 AM

updating existing packages in slackware
 
Previously using zypper update in the terminal, i can update my SUSE.

i google online and find that i can update using
Code:

slackpkg update
but it prompts command not found. Can i know what are the command to update in slack?

thanks

H_TeXMeX_H 04-05-2009 09:17 AM

You have to install slackpkg if you want, you can either get it from the /extra of slackware 12.2 DVD or here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=596656
use 'installpkg' to install it.

jrecortel 04-05-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitalstrike82 (Post 3499061)
Previously using zypper update in the terminal, i can update my SUSE.

i google online and find that i can update using
Code:

slackpkg update
but it prompts command not found. Can i know what are the command to update in slack?

thanks

have you run slackpkg as root? a full install of slackware 12.2 already include the slackpkg.in root, type:
Code:

# slackpkg update
# slackpkg upgrade-all


Chuck56 04-05-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitalstrike82 (Post 3499061)
Code:

slackpkg update
but it prompts command not found. Can i know what are the command to update in slack?

thanks

Were you logged in as root when you issued the command? Try the same command as root and see what happens.

If the slackpkg responds most likely you'll need to configure a mirror site. The file to configure is:

/etc/slackpkg/mirrors

You can learn more about slackpkg in the man pages.

Code:

man slackpkg
man slackpkg.conf

Enjoy!

jrecortel 04-05-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck56 (Post 3499081)
If the slackpkg responds most likely you'll need to configure a mirror site. The file to configure is:

/etc/slackpkg/mirrors

You can learn more about slackpkg in the man pages.

yes, dont forget to set which mirror to use.uncomment only one mirror and you're ready to go;)

vitalstrike82 04-08-2009 10:50 AM

Yeap... i tried it as root.
I guess it was not install into my machine.

Thanks for the help.. I will try to install it.

nutronix 04-09-2009 09:30 AM

Hi! vitalstrike82 , you can get the package here ;http://packages.slackware.it/search....t=1&q=slackpkg

Once installed , read the manual page (man slackpkg) cd to /etc/slackpkg and uncomment a mirror nearest you in "mirrors" with a text editor ,as root of course , then "slackpkg update gpg" followed by "slackpkg update" and "slackpkg upgrade-all"
good luck and dont forget to do a bit of reading

vitalstrike82 05-01-2009 04:49 PM

hi, i have read the slackpkg man pages and i have enter this command: slackpkg update to update the list.
However i want to see what are the packages to install and where can i see the list of packages after i use the slackpkg update?

Thanks

vitalstrike82 05-01-2009 05:08 PM

Hi, i have find the way how it works. Thanks

jrecortel 05-01-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitalstrike82 (Post 3527148)
hi, i have read the slackpkg man pages and i have enter this command: slackpkg update to update the list.
However i want to see what are the packages to install and where can i see the list of packages after i use the slackpkg update?

Thanks

issue the command
Code:

#slackpkg upgrade-all
and choose which packages you want to upgrade.

the_penguinator 05-01-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitalstrike82 (Post 3499061)
Previously using zypper update in the terminal, i can update my SUSE.

i google online and find that i can update using
Code:

slackpkg update
but it prompts command not found. Can i know what are the command to update in slack?

thanks

man upgradepkg

get the updated packages
check the md5sums
#upgradepkg foo.tgz

works for me
cheers

pg99 05-02-2009 05:53 AM

what are people's views on doing this automatically, for example by putting something like this in /etc/cron.daily
Code:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/slackpkg -dialog=off -batch=on -default_answer=no update
/usr/sbin/slackpkg -dialog=off -batch=on -default_answer=yes upgrade-all

I guess you would need to use the slackpkg blacklist first for any packages you know you don't want updated, but apart from that what other drawbacks might there be?

vonbiber 05-02-2009 08:24 AM

have you tried upgradepkg?

# upgradepkg [options] newpackagename
or
# upgradepkg [options] oldpackagename%newpackagename

There's a man page

grissiom 05-02-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonbiber (Post 3527631)
have you tried upgradepkg?

# upgradepkg [options] newpackagename
or
# upgradepkg [options] oldpackagename%newpackagename

There's a man page

In this way you must menually download all the new packages to local disk. rsync is a good way to do this but then you have more spaces to settle all the packages. slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all do all the things automatically for you.

shadowsnipes 05-02-2009 03:31 PM

Alien's rsync_slackware_patches.sh, along with others are also useful. See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/.

I use slackpkg, but I never upgrade blindly. I read the Changelog and the security update page (if available) first. I don't need to run "slackpkg update" all the time because I get an email (or new rss feed item) when an update it available.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.