LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Unofficial OpenOffice 4.0 slackware packages by kikinovak (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/unofficial-openoffice-4-0-slackware-packages-by-kikinovak-4175470935/)

cisneros 07-25-2013 08:28 PM

Unofficial OpenOffice 4.0 slackware packages by kikinovak
 
is there any pkgs for Slackware 14 - current available somewhere?
or maybe a guide to install it from the binary pkgs from the website?

Edit:
http://www.kikinovak.net/index.php?p...-for-Slackware

willysr 07-25-2013 08:53 PM

Why not using LibreOffice?
http://alien.slackbook.org/slackbuilds/libreoffice/
http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/pe...s/libreoffice/

cisneros 07-25-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 4996895)

wanna test out differences, options, usability, documents compatibility, etc...

Paulo2 07-25-2013 09:26 PM

I install Open Office and Libre Office the same way, download the rpm package,
extract them and run "rpm2txz" on all, then "installpkg" all of them.

irgunII 07-25-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo2 (Post 4996912)
I install Open Office and Libre Office the same way, download the rpm package,
extract them and run "rpm2txz" on all, then "installpkg" all of them.

+1, exactly how I do it and it's fast and just works.

kikinovak 07-26-2013 04:41 PM

I just wrote a SlackBuild, which installs Open Office 4.0.0 quite nicely. I'll probably sand down a few edges and upload binary packages for 32-bit and 64-bit Slackware as well as the language packs on my repo anyway, but I can only do this early next week. If you're impatient, check out the first draft in my Github repo:

Code:

# git clone https://github.com/kikinovak/slackware
Look in the MLED-14.0-source/openoffice4 directory.

CAVEAT. My repo already contains an 'openoffice' as well as an 'openoffice-langpack' package. Do not install either of these packages if you intend to give 4.0.0 a spin, for obvious reasons. I've renamed the 4.0.0 package to 'openoffice4' to avoid conflict.

I'll keep you posted. Cheers,

Niki

cisneros 07-26-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikinovak (Post 4997530)
I just wrote a SlackBuild, which installs Open Office 4.0.0 quite nicely. I'll probably sand down a few edges and upload binary packages for 32-bit and 64-bit Slackware as well as the language packs on my repo anyway, but I can only do this early next week. If you're impatient, check out the first draft in my Github repo:

Code:

# git clone https://github.com/kikinovak/slackware
Look in the MLED-14.0-source/openoffice4 directory.

CAVEAT. My repo already contains an 'openoffice' as well as an 'openoffice-langpack' package. Do not install either of these packages if you intend to give 4.0.0 a spin, for obvious reasons. I've renamed the 4.0.0 package to 'openoffice4' to avoid conflict.

I'll keep you posted. Cheers,

Niki

amazing, gonna be checking your updates. thanks a lot.

kikinovak 07-27-2013 01:30 AM

Little update. On my local build boxes, I got both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions running perfectly. I'll add the language packs as soon as possible and then put everything online. BTW, I finally decided not to give the 'openoffice' package a different name, and to go directly for the update. After playing with it for half an hour, I decided to adopt it, since it's as clean as usual.

kikinovak 07-30-2013 03:48 AM

Right, here goes:

http://www.kikinovak.net/index.php?p...-for-Slackware

The en-US version works perfectly on both 32-bit and 64-bit Slackware. I'm having trouble with the language packs though. Explanation on the blog.

Cheers,

Niki

tronayne 07-30-2013 08:18 AM

Hey, Niki,

Thank you for the SlackBuild -- got that from you, got the RPM from Apache (no sense in loading up your server), got the MD5 from Apache, ran it, installed it, works great (looks pretty good, too). Added all the template packs I've collected from OpenOffice, they all work just fine, too.

Nice job, many thanks.

kikinovak 07-30-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tronayne (Post 4999584)
Hey, Niki,

Thank you for the SlackBuild -- got that from you, got the RPM from Apache (no sense in loading up your server)

You can go ahead and load up the server. Bandwidth is good, and it's unlimited.

cisneros 07-30-2013 10:37 AM

Working great on -current 64b

interndan 07-30-2013 10:54 AM

I just edit the build script from slackbuild.org for the latest version. Always works for me.

p.s. I just change version numbers etc. Leave credit for the folks from Slackbuild.org. :)

sardinha 07-31-2013 10:19 AM

build from 4.0.0 install binary localized
 
Kikinovak,

I know you can prefer build en-US pkg version and only fr langpack, but you can build directly fr pkg version.

kikinovak 07-31-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sardinha (Post 5000328)
Kikinovak,

I know you can prefer build en-US pkg version and only fr langpack, but you can build directly fr pkg version.

Yes, I know that. Officially, I support french, english and german for desktop localizations (I live and work in France, and my clients are mostly french, with the odd german or american client). Until now (Open Office 3.4.1) I've built the en_US version, and then added the fr_FR and the de_DE localizations, which has always worked well. Building three entire packages seems to me essentially like a huge waste of bandwidth.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.