SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have the same set-up as you (except I don't know what "resume=/dev/cryptvg/swap" is supposed to do, even though I have luks+lvm going...)
I use urxvt, and have the same result with the error output. It occurred to me that this looks like a "command interpreter" issue, so I installed dash from slackbuilds, and "switching" to dash from within urxvt I get:
dash: ä: not found
so I'm thinking it's a bash limitation. I take it dash is supposed to be fully POSIX, whereas bash may not be?
Here's another fun one:
dash: イロハニホヘト: not found
Maybe the POSIX thing is the explanation, but I'm now at the limit of my pay scale.
Distribution: Slint64-14.2rc on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Not sure I understand what you mean.
I just built and installed an rxvt-unicode (AKA urxvt) package from slackbuilds.org and when using the basic method for applying ISO 14755 standard (press and hold both Ctrl and Shfi then enter the four hex digits of UTF-8 code), characters are properly displayed.
FYI, to find all hex digits UTF-8 codes of letters with a diaeresis (official name of the umlaute) I type:
zgrep DIAERESIS /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
EDIT Reading STDOUBT's answer I see now that I didn't understand your question. So yes, this could be a limitation of bash.
Oh, and bash can be put in POSIX mode if invoked with the --posix option. According to 'man bash': "Bash can be configured to be POSIX-conformant by default".
But that doesn't change the output in this case.
Last edited by Didier Spaier; 06-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Reason: EDIT added