SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Just an FYI if anyone runs into something similar...
Slackware 13.0, updated to slackware-current on 01/01/10. 32bit version. I excluded Mplayer from the original install, and the update, as I build Mplayer myself to gain additional codec support.
I use UnDVD to make AVI files of DVDs so I don't have to lug around a bunch of discs. UnDVD was working as expected with Slackware 13.0. After doing the update to slack-current, UnDVD output heavily compressed AVI files. Before the update a 2 hour movie would be around 1 gig or so, using x264. After updating to slack-current the same video was compressed into 150MB file that looked just awful. I verified this new compression with DVDs that I had already compressed before the update. Same result - heavily compressed videos.
UnDVD is a Perl script that uses Mplayer/mencoder to do its work, BTW.
I tried to figure out which package might have overwritten something but wasn't able to figure it out. I think something in the slackware-current is altering MPlayer/mencoder settings. Just not sure which packages and/or settings.
Finally, I rebuilt MPlayer/mencoder and UnDVD's AVI compression was back to normal.
Probably not worth a lot of research but I like to share solutions that I come up with whenever possible.