LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 5
ugly menus on transmission and audacious


so, the menus on this apps looks like this, any idea why is that? im guessin those apps are using the GTK3 theme instead of GTK2, is there any way to change that? thanks.

Slackware 14 (64b) - current with MATE desktop
Attached Images
File Type: png menu.png (94.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by cisneros; 06-23-2013 at 04:45 AM.
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,442

Rep: Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407
I can't help with an answer, but I just took a look at GFTP on my --current box under both E17 and Fluxbox, and it looked nothing like that.

This is my workaday box, so it has a ton of extra applications installed, but almost all of them were installed from Slackbuilds or Alien Bob's. A couple of little ones were installed from sources. The only additional libraries I've directly installed beyond the default were the ones for E17.

I'm posting this in case it helps give someone a hint. It looks the same under both E17 and Fluxbox, except for the window decorations, such as the title bar.

Last edited by frankbell; 06-28-2014 at 02:33 PM.
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I can't help with an answer, but I just took a look at GFTP on my --current box under both E17 and Fluxbox, and it looked nothing like that.

This is my workaday box, so it has a ton of extra applications installed, but almost all of them were installed from Slackbuilds or Alien Bob's. A couple of little ones were installed from sources. The only additional libraries I've directly installed beyond the default were the ones for E17.

I'm posting this in case it helps give someone a hint. It looks the same under both E17 and Fluxbox, except for the window decorations, such as the title bar.
gftp looks fine to me, i use slackbuild to compile transmission, same result, the menu looks ugly, can i pass a parameter to tell slackbuild to compile it with GTK2 frontend?
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
digger95
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Indiana, PA
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 330

Rep: Reputation: 45
Try starting transmission from a terminal window and see if it's throwing any gtk errors like mine was.

Quote:
bash-4.2$ transmission-gtk
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
transmission-gtk starts clean with no errors or warnings on a terminal.
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,442

Rep: Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407Reputation: 1407
I apologize.

I had a brain skip walking from this computer to that one. I don't have Transmission on that machine. If this doesn't get resolved this weekend, I'll install it Monday, because I'm curious.

Update:

I just started Transmission on this here Debian box and, I have to say, it's pretty darn plain at the best of times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg trans-deb.jpeg (98.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by frankbell; 06-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
digger95
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Indiana, PA
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 330

Rep: Reputation: 45
The problem I had was that I didn't run the SlackBuild as root (su -). Transmission still ran okay but it was giving me gtk errors and didn't look very nice. Rebuilt the package as root and everything looks fine now. Hope you locate the issue!
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger95 View Post
The problem I had was that I didn't run the SlackBuild as root (su -). Transmission still ran okay but it was giving me gtk errors and didn't look very nice. Rebuilt the package as root and everything looks fine now. Hope you locate the issue!
it did not work for me, btw anyone can point me the location of an audacious slackbuild?, I dont find it.
thanks.
 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Kallaste
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisneros View Post
so, the menus on this apps looks like this, any idea why is that? im guessin those apps are using the GTK3 theme instead of GTK2, is there any way to change that? thanks.

Slackware 14 (64b) - current with MATE desktop
I'm not sure about in MATE, but I do know that in XFCE, you have to choose an appearance "style" (from the settings > appearance menu) that has both a GTK2 and a GTK3 theme associated with it. Some styles have only a GTK2 theme, and if you choose one of those, the rather unpleasant GTK3 defaults will be used for all GTK3 applications. That can be pretty ugly.

That said, I went through all the XFCE themes and did not find a single one where Transmission or Audacious looked anything like what you have.

Maybe you should try some other themes to see if they are all the same. Or else set the GTK preferences manually as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GTK%2B

Last edited by Kallaste; 06-23-2013 at 12:28 AM.
 
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 1,517

Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisneros View Post
it did not work for me, btw anyone can point me the location of an audacious slackbuild?, I dont find it.
thanks.
It is in the Slackware sources folder, like http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackwa...xap/audacious/ . There is audacious and audacious-plugins.
 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,502

Rep: Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695
There seems to be a problem with your GTK theme.

I'm using the Clearlooks Phenix theme, which works nice on both GTK2 and GTK3. Here's what Audacious and Transmission look like on my workstation.

You'll find the Clearlooks Phenix SlackBuild on SlackBuilds.org.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d'écran - 23062013 - 11:02:27.jpg (81.8 KB, 33 views)
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
transmission and audacious use GTK3, so get a decent GTK3 engine and theme to use.

PS: Does anybody know if murrine supports GTK3?

Last edited by solarfields; 06-23-2013 at 04:09 AM.
 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
There seems to be a problem with your GTK theme.

I'm using the Clearlooks Phenix theme, which works nice on both GTK2 and GTK3. Here's what Audacious and Transmission look like on my workstation.

You'll find the Clearlooks Phenix SlackBuild on SlackBuilds.org.
that worked, im gonna test more themes on MATE to see if i can keep my older theme. thanks a lot.
 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,502

Rep: Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
PS: Does anybody know if murrine supports GTK3?
No, unfortunately Murrine is GTK2 only, as far as I know. Until about a year ago, the Murrine Gilouche theme was the default theme on all my machines. But Clearlooks Phenix is a nice replacement.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No transmission circlesdisplayed for wirless transmission in ns2 susanthomas Linux - Newbie 2 05-23-2012 01:14 AM
[SOLVED] Ugly menus in openoffice/libreoffice vitorsgoncalves Linux - Software 4 04-21-2011 04:56 PM
Ugly, Ugly OS selection screen still in Kubuntu and Ubuntu rusty2 Linux - Software 7 12-05-2010 04:05 PM
Alternative to Audacious for eac cuesheets, midi playback (hardware)? Fix audacious? Holering Linux - Software 0 10-02-2010 11:19 PM
Ugly vs pretty right-click menus RobbieGee Linux - Newbie 1 12-20-2003 08:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration