LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 1
Two kde sessions in slackware-current


Hello,

I have to run two kde sessions simultaneously. One for me and one for my wife. The first session is started by logging to the terminal with my wife's login and running 'startx'. The second kde session is launched with 'startx -- :1' in the another terminal.
The problem is that in the second KDE session occasionaly stop working all arrow keys in all applications - firefox, OpenOffice, rxvt and so on! All other keys works properly. The first KDE session works like a charm.
I have to restart second KDE session and all works fine for a while (some days or even couple of weeks). This thing is rather annoing for me.

Are there any solutions for this problem? Should I use some specific parameters to startx? I believe this is not KDE related problem because the first session works without any troubles.

Info about my system: Slackware-current, NVidia drivers, kernel 2.6.30-2.6.32. KDE 4.3.0 - 4.3.4.
I set up slackware-13 and encounter this problem. Further I tried to keep slackware-current but with all upgrades (till 2010-01-09) the problem persists.

Last edited by olego; 01-19-2010 at 08:54 AM.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
brixtoncalling
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 67
Perhaps if you go through KDM and open the second session? I haven't done much of this on Slackware 13.0, but I don't recall having problems with earlier versions.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Lufbery
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Slackware 64 14.0
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 119Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by olego View Post
Hello,

I have to run two kde sessions simultaneously. One for me and one for my wife. The first session is started by logging to the terminal with my wife's login and running 'startx'. The second kde session is launched with 'startx -- :1' in the another terminal.
So far, so good. That's what we do in my house too.

Quote:
The problem is that in the second KDE session occasionaly stop working all arrow keys in all applications - firefox, OpenOffice, rxvt and so on! All other keys works properly. The first KDE session works like a charm.

I have to restart second KDE session and all works fine for a while (some days or even couple of weeks). This thing is rather annoying for me.
Okay, to be clear, you're saying that after a few days or weeks, the problem rears its ugly head. Is that during continuous running -- as in the computer is running non-stop for a few days or weeks? Or, does the problem only show up intermittently, but you shut down nightly?

Quote:
Are there any solutions for this problem? Should I use some specific parameters to startx? I believe this is not KDE related problem because the first session works without any troubles.

Info about my system: Slackware-current, NVidia drivers, kernel 2.6.30-2.6.32. KDE 4.3.0 - 4.3.4.
I set up slackware-13 and encounter this problem. Further I tried to keep slackware-current but with all upgrades (till 2010-01-09) the problem persists.
One thing I can think to try: Check your Nvidia drivers. I had terrible, random lockups with the Nvidia drivers, but none with the NV drivers in Slackware 12.2. I'm running Slackware 64_13 without an xorg.conf file right now and I'm not having any trouble with multiple X sessions. (I haven't tried the Nvidia drivers yet.) It could be that the NV drivers work fine for you and you won't need an xorg.conf. Of course, you also won't have the cool 3D capabilities of your card, but this could be a good trouble-shooting step.

Good luck,
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufbery View Post
Okay, to be clear, you're saying that after a few days or weeks, the problem rears its ugly head. Is that during continuous running -- as in the computer is running non-stop for a few days or weeks? Or, does the problem only show up intermittently, but you shut down nightly?
Some months ago I run my computer 24x7 without nightly shutdowns and problem apeared after few days or weeks of an uninterruptible work. But now I hibernate my computer with TuxOnIce nightly and problem show up every 3-5 days. My computers works from 7am till 11:30pm and problem may occure after 3 or 5 hibernates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufbery View Post
One thing I can think to try: Check your Nvidia drivers. I had terrible, random lockups with the Nvidia drivers, but none with the NV drivers in Slackware 12.2. I'm running Slackware 64_13 without an xorg.conf file right now and I'm not having any trouble with multiple X sessions. (I haven't tried the Nvidia drivers yet.) It could be that the NV drivers work fine for you and you won't need an xorg.conf. Of course, you also won't have the cool 3D capabilities of your card, but this could be a good trouble-shooting step.
Good luck,
But how video card's drivers can disable arrow keys!?!?! I think drivers can hang up my OS or computer but I don't believe that some keys may be disabled.
I like wobbling windows, desktop cube, translucent windows and other nice features of KDE4 =) I can try to switch off all nice graphical effects but it is no solution for me. I'd better restart my KDE every 3-5 days than lost all its graphical features and card capabilities.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
Perhaps if you go through KDM and open the second session? I haven't done much of this on Slackware 13.0, but I don't recall having problems with earlier versions.
I suppose You mean K-Menu->Leave->Switch user ?
I tried this but never happened! Only screensaver is started and nothing more.

How can I start another KDM session?
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
brixtoncalling
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by olego View Post
I suppose You mean K-Menu->Leave->Switch user ?
I tried this but never happened! Only screensaver is started and nothing more.

How can I start another KDM session?
Log in as root and go to run-level four:
Code:
> init 4
KDM will start up and you can log in as your first user. Now go to K-Menu->Leave-Switch User. Now you will be able to log into the second account. You can't do this unless you initially logged in through KDM. You can also shut down and hibernate directly from KDE, which I don't think you can do if you just use startx.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
KDM will start up and you can log in as your first user. Now go to K-Menu->Leave-Switch User. Now you will be able to log into the second account. You can't do this unless you initially logged in through KDM. You can also shut down and hibernate directly from KDE, which I don't think you can do if you just use startx.
OK, thank You very much! I'd better change initdefault to 4 in the /etc/inittab. I'll try this tonight.

Are there any profits to use KDE's hibernate and standby instead of TuxOnIce's ones? TuxOnIce has flexible start/stop scripts, so I can properly stop my WiFi card and network and then start it again.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
You can also shut down and hibernate directly from KDE, which I don't think you can do if you just use startx.
I changed initdefault to 4 in the /etc/inittab, and run 'telinit 4' to switch to KDM session manager w/o reboot. All work fine, several parallell sessions work fine. I'll test this thing for several days or weeks.
But when I use KDE's internal standby I encounter problems with my wifi card. I have to properly shutdown network and unload the module before standby, and load the module and start network after resume. But I found no any standby/resume scripts or hooks to run my own scripts. So I have to use TuxOneIce's hibernate. But standby is more-more fast than hibernate. I found place to run custom scripts/programs before KDE start, and before KDE stop, but I suppose this is not related to standby/resume =(
K-Menu->System settings->Advanced->Autostart
I can run custom scripts only in 3 cases: "startup", "shutdown" and "pre-KDE startup". Unfortunately this is not what I need.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
brixtoncalling
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 67
My wifi works fine on resume, but if you need to insert your own hooks, you could do so in /etc/acpi and then hook a call to pm-suspend to the power button. You would also place calls to shutdown and restart network and wifi before and after the pm-suspend.

You'd be bypassing the KDE infrastructure but it's still be a good way to go I think.
 
Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
My wifi works fine on resume, but if you need to insert your own hooks, you could do so in /etc/acpi and then hook a call to pm-suspend to the power button. You would also place calls to shutdown and restart network and wifi before and after the pm-suspend.

You'd be bypassing the KDE infrastructure but it's still be a good way to go I think.

All arrow keys were unexpectedly disabled in my account tonight. But my wife's KDE session works like a charm. So I decided this problem is related to my KDE configuration. I renamed my $HOME/.kde and started from clean configs. I'll continue experiments...

About scripts - I caught that I should use pm features to organize my own scripts. Thank You!
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
brixtoncalling
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 67
Good luck!
 
Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
olego
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Kaliningrad, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
Good luck!
So far fo good! In last two weeks I got no any arrow keys freezes! So this problem are considered to be configuration related. I don't know which option leads to this effect, but now all works like a charm!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDE 4.3.2 on Slackware-Current willysr Slackware 83 11-23-2009 04:57 PM
KDE 4.3.2 is available on Slackware-current Didier Spaier Slackware 3 10-23-2009 07:04 AM
bug in KDE 3.5.2 (slackware current) perfect_circle Slackware 3 04-19-2006 04:22 PM
kde 3.5.1 in Slackware/current BCarey Slackware 2 02-26-2006 06:57 PM
kde on slackware current masand Linux - Software 3 02-13-2005 06:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration