SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have downloaded Firefox 3 Beta 2 on my Slackware 11 system, but now when I try to run it using /usr/local/firefox/firefox, I get the following error message -
./firefox-bin: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12' not found (required by /usr/lib/libxul.so)
It appears to me that libnss3 needs to be upgraded. My question is, if I upgrade this library, will it have any adverse side effects on my Slackware install. Secondly, I have searched for this library on linuxpackages, but I couldn't find it. Any idea, where it is available?
Doesn't work. I tried ./firefox from the /usr/local/firefox directory and got a crash report box which doesn't seem to be doing anything as when I press Restart Firefox button on it, I get the same box over again.
It seems that the firefox binary is trying to use /usr/lib/libxul.so, which is most likely from a different version of FF and not the one included in this beta. You can try to rename /usr/lib/libxul.so, run ldconfig (both as root) and then run ./firefox
I extracted the official package in my usual /usr/local dir; think that the previous version was in the /usr/local/firefox directory ... had some errors to do with libxul.so (I think, that's probably wrong).
Just did "rm -rf /usr/local/firefox" [careful!] and then re-extracted. Works fine now.
My impresssion is that it's slower than FF2 for me (1G Athlon, 768MB RAM, Slack 12.0) and still has some major problems - like eating 90% CPU for 5 minutes after closing. Currently at 40% CPU and 10% RAM, have 2 tabs open and have been using it for about 10 minutes.
My history hasn't carried over so all autocomplete entries have gone. User/Pass entry is a little weird, appears to have the passwords but not prefilled until I enter the username and <tab>. I prefer the way it now handles "invalid" certificates though, very slick. Very few plugins now work. Lastly, the general appearance seems tighter possibly better font display too.
Worst thing ... no adblock! Teh internet suckorz!!1111
Last edited by pbhj; 12-21-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Reason: clarity of first line
When you use a new FF-version, it's best if you also create a new profile.
All the things you mention are not normal. FF 3.* is faster (especially the start up). A high CPU-usage also indicates a corrupted profile (or extension-conflicts).
No problem (AdBlock is known for it's profile corruptions anyway...), use no-ads.pac and you'll have about he same result. If that's not enough, install FlashBlock, to get rid of all annoying flash-ads.
Actually, I had untarred the firefox 3 beta 2 package directly into the already existing /usr/local/firefox directory. So after realising this, I removed the folder and again untarred the firefox package in the same folder.
Now firefox is working fine.