Originally Posted by piete
Would you be so kind as to outline exactly what you were missing to get it working? It's nice to have a record of what went wrong and how you fixed it for other people to see too
Getting wireless working I found wasn't too bad, but like most things requires a lot of the ol' RTM. Persevere, glad we could help!
Edit: Eric got in there before me
Yes, indeed. The most helpful post was Piete's on page 1 of this thread--it provided the missing step. I was not including the file path; it was as simple as that.
So, downloaded the package--that was easy. Then, I was having trouble making the file executable and running the script--it turns out that in that step I was not giving the path either. I followed the instructions in this thread: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...8/#post3304131
So, the missing step was my not knowing that I needed to do this; pretty basic when it comes to Linux, but new to me. Once I had that down it was very easy. Like many things so far in Linux and Slackware once you understand how to do something it makes sense and becomes simple (well, that might be a stretch!).
Once wicd was working I then discovered via dmesg that I needed the correct driver for my card--an old Broadcom 4306 (since it's not Atheros perhaps the Madwifi download was not needed, but it was a good learning experience). I went and got it. And having already followed Alien Bob/Eric's wireless instructions (I edited the recommended fle using vi--what a treat that was for a newbie) I then got wireless going instantly once the driver was installed. Now, upon boot-up wicd and wireless appear.
So, first I followed Alien Bob's wireless instructions; downloaded madwifi and wicd from Slackbuilds; downloaded drivers; got wireless working. And along the way learned that it is critical to give the path to the file--now it's obvious.
So, thanks and I hope that's the detail you wanted. I do not think I left anything out.