[SOLVED] Transcode will not compile in Slackware64-13.0, Multilib
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Transcode will not compile in Slackware64-13.0, Multilib
I installed Slackware64-13.0 on this laptop on Sat 20090929. On Mon 20090931 I installed Eric's Multilib. I use sbopkg for most upgrades & last evening I attempted to install the sbopkg queuefile transcode_build.sqf. Everything built properly until it got to the transcode package, during which I got the following:
There is a file "/usr/lib/libxml2.so". There is also a file "/usr/lib64/libxml2.so". I have a desktop machine on which I have also installed Slackware64-13.0, but not Multilib. I have just now tried to install transcode from the .sqf file on the desktop & it worked perfectly. I can only assume (& you know what that does!) that this is some problem with the Multilib install. Is there some way to fix this, or am I safe in installing the package I made on the desktop onto this laptop?
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Could this have anything to do with it? From Eric's article:
Compiling 32-bit programs
In case you need to compile a 32-bit program (wine and grub are two examples of open source programs that are 32-bit only) you first configure your shell environment by running the command:
Note the 'dot' in front of the filename - that is actually part of the commandline! Running this command changes or creates several environment variables. The effect of this is, that 32-bit versions of binaries are preferred over 64bit binaries when you compile source code - you will be running a 32bit compilation. The effect will last until you logout from your shell.
In this changed environment, you will be able to use standard SlackBuilds to build 32-bit packages for Slackware64. There are two things to keep in mind:
You will have to define the ARCH variable as 'x86_64' even though you are compiling a 32-bit program!
You will have to edit the SlackBuild and if it wants to use 'lib64/' directories for “$ARCH = x86_64”, you will have to force it to use 'lib/' directories instead. Usually, this is accomplished by finding a definition like:
I had a problem with transcode also.
I messed with it quite awhile and then finally installed Slack64 on another partition without multi-lib to build packages on.
Transcode with all the options enabled built and worked on my Multi-Lib system.
Stellarium was another I had to build on my Slack64 non multi-lib system.
So far I've done:
gnucash <-- the source link for "slib" dosen't work on the SlackBuild site.
on Slack64 "no-libs" and all worked on the multi-lib system.
Try the slackbuild here, that might work. I wonder if the slackbuild for that will work on a pure 64-bit system as well? Or will it also do multi-lib as well as regular 32-bit? hrmm.
That is the slackbuild I ran, & it works well on a pure 64 bit system.
As stated, the source/script works OK on a system w/o Multilib. I don't think I would need to install it as 32 bit.
The "slib" link must be fixed, I installed gnucash from the .sqf file last night as well & it worked OK. The only reason I installed multilib on this laptop is that my daughter uses it a couple of times a week to play World of Warcraft, which runs OK under Wine. Until someone who knows more than I fixes it, I can compile on the desktop & install on the laptop.
Last edited by TSquaredF; 09-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Reason: punctuation, responsibilities
With a multilib system, there is a little more to the story than the SlackBuild scripts of slackbuilds.org tell you.
There is a single line you have to add to that transcode.SlackBuild script so that the lib64 directory will be favoured over the lib directory when you compile 64bit binaries. I include that line in all of my own SlackBuild scripts (http://slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/) which is why I never had complaints from Slamd64 users ;-)
Right between the lines:
add the following line (do not leave empty lines around it!):
Now, your compilation will succeed if you set the ARCH variable to "x86_64".