LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #1546
Keith Hedger
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Devon,UK
Distribution: Linux From Scratch, Slackware64,
Posts: 727

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXpander_ View Post
...Minimalistic can be as nice as pluralistic art, get over it!
This sort of remark is why I stopped posting in this thread, way to much bitchiness on here for a thread that is really only a bit of fun and should be a celebration of the diversity of linux, instead its become more like the fanboyesq threads you see on apple/windows/ubuntu forums.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #1547
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
● simple or plain, or minimalist desktops can be called cool

● compound or fancy, or immoderate desktops can be called hot

In such a context the opposition between „cool” and „hot” is neutral – none of these terms is not positive nor negative so there is no reason to struggle in a defense of one of them against the other one.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #1548
Keith Hedger
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Devon,UK
Distribution: Linux From Scratch, Slackware64,
Posts: 727

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
● simple or plain, or minimalist desktops can be called cool

● compound or fancy, or immoderate desktops can be called hot

In such a context the opposition between „cool” and „hot” is neutral – none of these terms is not positive nor negative so there is no reason to struggle in a defense of one of them against the other one.
I agree, I think ( Scratches head and tries to work out all the double negatives )
 
Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #1549
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,412
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith hedger View Post
i agree, i think ( scratches head and tries to work out all the double negatives )
- - - = + - = -
 
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1550
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hedger View Post
Scratches head and tries to work out all the double negatives
You made me laugh... I’m sorry. I’m from Poland. In Polish language such complex negations are quite usual.
 
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #1551
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,412
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
You made me laugh... I’m sorry. I’m from Poland. In Polish language such complex negations are quite usual.
W rzeczy samej

They are, indeed
 
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #1552
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
@Keith Hedger

Polish language is simple and logical:

We say: „Don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „God bless you”.

We say: „I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Go to hell”.

We say: „Don’t think I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Definitely God bless you”.

We say: „Don’t even try to don’t think I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Definitely go to hell”.

Et cetera...

Direct „God bless you” is offensive because not all people believe in God – even in Poland. Indirect „Don’t go to hell” is proper because believers understand it as a blessing and non-believers understand it as the confirmation of their outlook (since there is no hell it isn’t possible to go to hell so the command „don’t go to hell” is sensible and feasible for non-believer).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #1553
SCerovec
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cp6uja
Distribution: Slackware and Porteus
Posts: 648

Rep: Reputation: 45
@w1k0
well, I can't say I don't follow You

or am I (not)?
 
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #1554
Keith Hedger
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Devon,UK
Distribution: Linux From Scratch, Slackware64,
Posts: 727

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
@Keith Hedger

Polish language is simple and logical:

We say: „Don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „God bless you”.

We say: „I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Go to hell”.

We say: „Don’t think I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Definitely God bless you”.

We say: „Don’t even try to don’t think I don’t say don’t go to hell” when we want to say: „Definitely go to hell”.

Et cetera...

Direct „God bless you” is offensive because not all people believe in God – even in Poland. Indirect „Don’t go to hell” is proper because believers understand it as a blessing and non-believers understand it as the confirmation of their outlook (since there is no hell it isn’t possible to go to hell so the command „don’t go to hell” is sensible and feasible for non-believer).
My brain hurts!
 
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1555
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hedger View Post
My brain hurts!
You made me laugh so I tried to make you laugh. It was for fun. Don't suffer. Laugh.
 
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #1556
Keith Hedger
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Devon,UK
Distribution: Linux From Scratch, Slackware64,
Posts: 727

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
You made me laugh so I tried to make you laugh. It was for fun. Don't suffer. Laugh.
Taken in fun ( it's a quote from monty python )
 
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #1557
PrinceCruise
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: /Universe/Earth/India/Pune
Distribution: Slackware14.1 x64(Workstation), Antix MX-14 x32(Netbook), CentOS5/6 (Servers)
Posts: 650

Rep: Reputation: 78
Slackware 13.37, xfce 4.8 pre-compiled packages taken from Vector Linux 7.0, tested okay.
Few minor glitches are there, trying to sort out. I like the old 2 panel gnome look still.

Screenshot - 05132012 - 12:45:54 PM.jpg

Last edited by PrinceCruise; 05-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.
 
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #1558
manuchelo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2
Fluxbox: my favorite

Slackware-current64 http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos...ng?key=8001800

Last edited by manuchelo; 05-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
 
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #1559
Keith Hedger
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Devon,UK
Distribution: Linux From Scratch, Slackware64,
Posts: 727

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCruise View Post
Slackware 13.37, xfce 4.8 pre-compiled packages taken from Vector Linux 7.0 ...
Why not compile 4.10? its easy and stable.
BTW like the backdrop.
 
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #1560
tnsantos
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Simple but good for me: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2651862/shot4.png

Slack 13.37 64 bits.

 
  


Reply

Tags
background, cwm, dwm, framebuffer, gui, i3, ion3, kde, monitor, screenshot, tmux, wallpaper, xfce4, xterm


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Desktop on Slackware? darkhatter Slackware 3 10-10-2006 12:26 PM
Slackware 10.0 with NO Desktop NiPP Linux - Newbie 2 01-02-2006 10:43 AM
3d desktop on Slackware k1ll3r_x Linux - Software 1 09-20-2005 10:47 PM
Desktop Slackware s0no Slackware 5 12-04-2004 11:20 AM
I can't get my desktop in Slackware 10 DraGoNsLaYeR Linux - Newbie 1 06-27-2004 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration