SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently upgraded to 11.0 and most things have been smooth, but I have had one trouble which is nagging at me. This is one of those periodic ones I seem to run into, though never often enough to remember how to fix it.
Mrxvt, my favorite terminal, is clearing the screen after less, man, emacs and so on. I know this is fairly common in some terminals, though I have never had it happen with mrxvt and was one of the things which get me started using it. I am aware that with xterm there is titeInhibit, but there seems to be no such thing for mrxvt. The last time this happened to me, rxvt I think, I changed $TERM to xterm and it worked okay, but this time that has no impact. If I change it to linux it fixes it, but breaks everything else, as does vt100. I guess it is liveable, but I don't like it and would like to fix it.
Since this is happening with 11.0 but not 10.2 I imagine something in Slackware has changed (maybe terminfo?) but I don't know what it may be. Any suggestions?
Try to disable udev and see if it works. The older versions seem to have messed up with Terminals and stuff. ( If you use the 2.6 kernel )
Thanks for the tip. I will remember that for the future, as I do run a 2.6 kernel and still don't quite feel solid with udev. However, I am embarrassed to admit that I figured out what I was doing wrong and it had nothing to do with Slackware. After banging my head against this wall for way too long it occurred to me that before upgrading I had been using mrxvt for quite some time and maybe I had been using an older release. So, I went to the site and discovered I had clicked the wrong link and was using the development version. I downloaded the stable one and now all is well.
Problem is solved, and I am red in the face. But, thanks again for the help, and watch out for the right links. ;-)