LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 2,867

Rep: Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700
Tellico in Xfce4: KDEInit could not lauch '/usr/lib64/firefox-18.0/firefox'


Tellico is a KDE collections manager application that has been running happily in Xfce for, oh, a couple years now (KDE is installed, I just don't use it).

One feature is that a book record contains a hyperlink to Amazon.com which is currently failing with the subject message.

I have searched every KDE and Xfce configuration file I can find trying to locate what is causing this (Firefox 18.0 is long gone, updated to Firefox 19.0.2) and have come up blank. I did rebuild Tellico (it's a SlackBuild) and "upgradepkg --reinstall") just to be on the safe side, have changed the default browser in Xfce System settings, blown away cache directories, blown away all the KDE files in /tmp, done everything I can think of.

No joy here in Mudville.

Any ideas?
 
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
foodown
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 607

Rep: Reputation: 218Reputation: 218Reputation: 218
Have you checked in '~/.kde/share/config/tellicorc'?
 
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 2,867

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700
Sure did -- not a blessed thing in there about browser, link, firefox, Amazon, IMBD or anything that look remotely like them. Looked through every tellico directory and file in ~/.kde while I was at it.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
foodown
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 607

Rep: Reputation: 218Reputation: 218Reputation: 218
Well that's lame ... That was all I had.

Have you tried creating a new user and seeing how it works for them?
 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 2,867

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodown View Post
Well that's lame ... That was all I had.
Naw, it wasn't, it was good thinking and I do appreciate it.

The developer (Robby Stehpenson) suggested a couple of things that I certainly didn't know (I pay virtually no attention to KDE any more):
Quote:
This comes up occasionally from a non-KDE workspace. Tellico uses the
KDE settings, and you check if somehow the default browser configuration
for KDE got changed somehow. Use this command:
kreadconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication

If you want to clear it:
kwriteconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication ''

Or set it:
kwriteconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication '/usr/bin/firefox'

See if that helps...
Interesting to know, but, alas, nope, did not help.

So, I figured, let's go back to infancy, backed up ~/.kde (where the application stores data sources keys) and removed every dot-file in my home directory (except .VirtualBox/ .cvspass .exrc.kshrc .mozilla/ .mplayer/ .profile .screenrc and .thunderbird -- didn't want to go back to conception, just infancy). Blew away all the files and directories owned by "me" in /tmp, blew away the files in /var/tmp/kdecache*, dumped everything I could find.

Then, logged back in as me, startx, tried it, viola, connects to Amazon (with Konqueror, which I really don't like using but the thing connected). Re-do my desktop the way I like it and get on with life.

How did the problem occur? I dunno. Through the magic of electronics or something like that. I screwed around the "right way" for too long and said to hell with it, nuke the blasted thing.

All is well that ends.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uneeded "/usr/lib64//firefox-3.6.10" directory in mozilla-firefox-4.0b6-x86_64-1.txz michelino Slackware 0 09-21-2010 05:20 AM
slackware64 /usr/lib /usr/lib64 question disturbed1 Slackware 29 02-14-2010 08:05 AM
Location of libraries in /usr/lib/ or /usr/lib64/ in Slackware64 niels.horn Slackware 2 06-24-2009 04:25 AM
Kmail KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/firefox' issue wth DCOP registration mdv2007 Emmanuel_uk Mandriva 0 11-05-2006 03:40 PM
Relocat /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 to a different path schokshi Fedora 3 08-30-2005 09:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration