I recently bought a new harddisk (Western Digital Raptor WDC740 SATA).
Since my mainboard supports only IDE I got a SATA controller as well (some noname product using a SiI 3112 chip).
I installed Slack10.1 (full) using the sata.i kernel for installation, afterwards I compiled my own 184.108.40.206 kernel supporting SiI Sata.
Everything works fine so far, no problems with the hdd or the controller, the disk runs at the supposed speed (fast as hell
I set up X using the latest nvidia drivers (I have a Gf2MX) and fluxbox as wm.
I hardly changed any software, just installed a few packages: aterm, torsmo and firefox instead of mozilla.
Everything works, as long as I don't browse the web.
Firefox (the package from linuxpackages.net as well as the official installer) works for a few minutes, but sooner or later the system freezes.
Konqueror kills it right away.
When it hangs, I still can move the mouse, but nothing reacts if I click on it, menu doesn't pop up on rightclick etc.
The keyboard is totally dead, I can't even switch numlock on/off anymore, can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+Bs and can't switch to another login terminal with ctrl+alt+f2
But the machine still responds to pings and I can still access via ssh. There everything seems to be fine, I can run programs, kill processes, etc.
But killing firefox/konqueror won't bring it back to life, I have to reboot via ssh.
First I tought, the system will just crash under high load, but this doesn't seem to be it. I can use way more heavy weight applications, like e.g. eclipse without any problems. Compiling stuff (new kernel etc.) also was never a problem.
So I also don't think it's a heat problem of the hdd, because I can do what I want, but the moment konqueror starts up, it hangs.
The rest of the hardware used works fine, I had suse, slack10.0 and gentoo running on the same system (except the new hdd) for month without any problems.
X is set up correctly for sure, the same configuration worked for the same Xorg version with the same graphicsboard and monitor before.
It's also not a network problem, that is configured correctly via dhcp. Also firefox works for some time, and I can dl anything using wget.
There are no errors in syslog or in the Xorg log.
I don't think it's an configuration-error in the kernel, since a) I have succesfully compiled a kernel for this machine for quite a few times and b) the same thing happens with the 2.4.29 generic sata.i kernel from the slackware cd.
athlon xp 2600+
Asrock K7S8X (SiS 746)
512 ddr 400
I'm getting out of ideas, what I can do, where I could find a hint of whats wrong
Thanks a lot.
Let me know, if you need to know anything, any specific logs, etc.