SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
There is less than 12 hours left to vote in the 2015 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards. Click here to go to the polls. Vote now and make sure your voice is heard!
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Just a minor niggle on Slackware-14.0. When I resume from a suspend, firefox menus will not respond correctly to the mouse. I click on Bookmarks, and the menu might appear (1-2 out of 5 times) and if I move the mouse off the word 'Bookmarks,' it's gone. Alt_B opens the bookmarks, return opens a folder of bookmarks, and up/down arrows select fine. So it goes for all menus.
I don't want 'quantum behaviour' in a browser. Closing the browser and reopening solves the issue, so it's a minor irritant. I thought I'd ask in case anyone had this and sorted it.
Thu Oct 11 21:25:20 UTC 2012
This update fixes a security vulnerability that could allow a malicious
site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have
access to the URL or URL parameters.
(* Security fix *)
This release contains security fixes and improvements.
For more information, see: http://www.mozilla.org/security/know...underbird.html
(* Security fix *)
It's percolated. Well, depending on which mirror you use.
It percolated as far as heanet.ie anyhow, and the problem remains :-((. Interestingly, it also affects the NoScript addon (The options thingy at page bottom). And the second browser window trick still works.
I am not having issue with addons. NoScript works fine for me as does Adblock. One thing that I noticed was that if you install Adblock before NoScript then things sometimes happen when detecting conflicts or untrusted content. I just flipped the installs and have not had a problem since.
I expressed myself poorly - NoScript's menu is affected by the suspend/resume menu misbehaviour.
Results are encouraging if I shift away from the browser's virtual display onto another before suspending. In any case, I can simply hit Ctrl_N for a new window which I close on resume, and there is no misbehaviour.
I do feel that this is somehow related to the new version of the Radeon driver & Mesa, which gives significant artifacts despite being faster. Chunks were always misdrawn at times, but now it's worse. The classic being that a line of text vanishes out of a window like this and is replaced by a bit of menu bar or a few red dashes/ Pg-Up & Pg-Down restores sanity. The video is old
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30c2
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 40
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at d0200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
Memory at d0300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities:  Power Management version 2
Capabilities:  MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: radeon
So I'm marking this solved, and thank all contributors for their wise input.