LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
lolnameless
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahko View Post
While i mostly disagree with CM's comments again, i disagree more strongly that Slackware is a distribution to watch out for in 2013.
While Slackware is the best linux distribution, even today, it is true that is partly stuck in the 90's.
How about backward compatibility up to 90's?
Quote:
It contains many applications, like xxgdb for example which haven't been touched since 1995
Agree, the necessary "bloat" may fool some newbies into using old,unmaintained applications.
However, it should be a corner/minor issue.
To think anyone would eager to touch any application which is far from "modern",
he/she must have some knowledge on behalf.
User-friendliness shouldn't be a problem, it is just marketing fail.
Quote:
, while at the same time lacking some modern applications/features most other distributions have had for years.
Maybe i miss something but tetex->texlive is the only one i can think of.
I guess that the policy(if any) of the official package tree is to add the general purpose applications only.
If you want "modern" but profession-specific tools,
say,if you want CAD,Blender,Sage..etc. These can be done in slackbuilds.org.
The official tree seems to provide something like DE,emacs,*nix-ish tools,
common setup of mail/http/ftp server and such,that is,general purpose.
On software development,it shouldn't be lacking.
First of all,it is the most friendly source distro you can have.
Secondly,cant we see the trend today?
python->pip, ruby->gems, Common lisp->quicklisp, Haskell->Cabal, Emacs lisp->ELPA ...etc.
Jeez,doesn't a package manager become far more friendly for rigorous development/testing if it is more "barebone"?
At the end of the day, Slackware maybe a perfect solution for modern development.
Package manager like Nix, the complete opposite, while trying hard on consistency,
not only complicate the management even further, but may also show add more constraint or unnecessity.

Yet, cant agree more with that,
On the marketing point of view, completeness is crucial.
Quote:
IMO this is the most important fact that prevents Slackware from reaching a wider user base which would lead to much better and more frequent press coverage.
It is a fact that Slackware today is a follower of every innovation or advancement that comes out of linux. While most things that happen today are leading towards Windows or Mac behaviour emulation, Slackware is eventually forced to incorporate some of them. Due to the fact that Slackware is diverging more and more from every other linux distribution, it makes it harder and harder to maintain, not to mention its slowly but gradually moving away from its roots, goals and philosophy, without it being entirely its fault.
That's why Slackware as it is now is not 'watch out' material, but the exact opposite.
Regardless, it is so uncool to keep bringing up this matter...
Squeezing out as much good,slackware-ish applications as we can, seems to be the best strategy?

Edit: grammar

Last edited by lolnameless; 01-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,453

Rep: Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
You can't blame her for that thread. Slackers went into meltdown for nothing over that. It was quite entertaining to watch actually.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
linuxpokernut
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 237
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 59
Haters gonna hate.

So more people installing Ubuntu makes it better than slackware? Cool.

"Distro to watch" is akin to saying one song is better than another because it is higher up on the top 40.

I have no sarcastic 90's meme to close this post, sadly.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
wildwizard
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Oz
Distribution: slackware64-14.0
Posts: 749

Rep: Reputation: 225Reputation: 225Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahko View Post
It contains many applications, like xxgdb for example which haven't been touched since 1995
Just because there is not a release version since 1995 doesn't mean the version you run in Slackware is from 1995, in fact it is patched by patches sourced from other distros. So if other distros have it then shouldn't we have it also?

Quote:
while at the same time lacking some modern applications/features most other distributions have had for years.
Gnome can stay dead, along with anything from Pottering.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Poucket
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
You can't blame her for that thread. Slackers went into meltdown for nothing over that. It was quite entertaining to watch actually.
I have to agree. The over 30 page thread may have some entertainment value.
However, it was also uplifting.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post4692445
 
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Posts: 491

Rep: Reputation: 57
But I liked the 1990s. Well, at least when I was a kid.

With the improvements in auto-detection of hardware and the auto-configuring of X, Slackware really isn't that difficult to use. I remember when I first used it and I had to edit /etc/fstab to mount a USB drive. Nowadays, Slackware with KDE pretty much auto-detects everything.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwizard View Post
Just because there is not a release version since 1995 doesn't mean the version you run in Slackware is from 1995, in fact it is patched by patches sourced from other distros. So if other distros have it then shouldn't we have it also?
The original source is still from 1995 no matter how many patches you apply to it.
Have you tried using xxgdb by any chance? When i execute it, from a terminal because desktop files weren't used back then get an error message about 'no available ptys' or similar.

Your argument is very logical but lets not forget that the other distros you are referring to are offering other options along with xxgdb. In Slackware it is the only one. And its ugly, old and featureless comparing to modern alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwizard View Post
Gnome can stay dead, along with anything from Pottering.
Slackware is missing more than just GNOME.
Come to think of it the most exciting thing that happened during the 13.37 -> 14.0 release cycle was the inclusion of NetworkManager and GTK+3 which are both GNOME technologies, maybe along with the XFCE split.

edit: Talking about press coverage i just bumped into this: http://igurublog.files.wordpress.com.../mag-cover.jpg
, the cover of the next issue of a linux magazine in the UK.
It doesnt even have the Slackware logo on it while theres some derivatives there in those ~30 distributions.

Last edited by sahko; 01-09-2013 at 08:01 PM.
 
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #23
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,238

Rep: Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299
I'm impressed with how well Kikinovac and Caitlyn's discussion is going. Keep it up, both of you.

Last edited by dugan; 01-10-2013 at 01:21 AM.
 
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #24
wildwizard
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Oz
Distribution: slackware64-14.0
Posts: 749

Rep: Reputation: 225Reputation: 225Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
I'm impressed with how well Kikinovac and Caitlyn's discussion is going. Keep it up, both of you.
LOL

More of Kiki delivering well written comments and then been labeled a fanboy because the other side disagrees.

This isn't the first time such a discussion between those two has gone down this path, I'm surprised Kiki hasn't given up on her yet.
 
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,410

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwizard View Post
LOL

I'm surprised Kiki hasn't given up on her yet.
I give up. Lesson learned.
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #26
fogpipe
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Distribution: Slackware 64 Current
Posts: 313

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyTrotter View Post
I will immediately
su -
rm -rf
apt get install ubuntu
or maybe click the mouse 1000 times to install win8
This nearly 65 year old TRS-80 user certainly does not want to be stuck in the 90's


john
im almost 60 and i love slackware. As far as being stuck in the 90's it was a good decade for linux, lots of possibilities and tools that allowed you to use linux the way you wanted to and to build it into something personal that fit your needs. And slackware still has that, along with the latest and greatest available in the linux world. I guess all that flexibility just confuses some of these younguns.
Imo slackware needs more cartoony icons as an aid to youngsters with limited attention spans.

EDIT: geez, thinking about it, maybe slackware is the codger distro, maybe i should switch to ubuntu and start lying about my age.

Last edited by fogpipe; 01-11-2013 at 04:48 AM.
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Beelzebud
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Arch & Slackware
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 22
Meanwhile Slackware quietly sits at the #10 spot on distrowatch.

It's not scientific, but it's also not meaningless. There is a reason it's sitting up there in the top 10.
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
jmccue
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: US
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahko View Post
Have you tried using xxgdb by any chance? When i execute it, from a terminal because desktop files weren't used back then get an error message about 'no available ptys' or similar.

Your argument is very logical but lets not forget that the other distros you are referring to are offering other options along with xxgdb. In Slackware it is the only one. And its ugly, old and featureless comparing to modern alternatives.
There is a patch (blogspot.com) to correct the issue. Anyway I think it is a nice decent small X front end to gdb for c programing
Not sure how good it is for other languages though.

John
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #29
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@kikinovak: Is the illustration on the cover of "Linux aux petits oignons" by Ayo73? He has pretty recognizable style. I used to use his wallpapers extensively in 2005/2006.

@all: sorry for offtopic.
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
linuxpokernut
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 237
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogpipe View Post
im almost 60 and i love slackware. As far as being stuck in the 90's it was a good decade for linux, lots of possibilities and tools that allowed you to use linux the way you wanted to and to build it into something personal that fit your needs. And slackware still has that, along with the latest and greatest available in the linux world. I guess all that flexibility just confuses some of these younguns.
Imo slackware needs more cartoony icons as an aid to youngsters with limited attention spans.

EDIT: geez, thinking about it, maybe slackware is the codger distro, maybe i should switch to ubuntu and start lying about my age.
No, it has KDE.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux thinstation bootable cd problem stuck at "Booting the Kernel" Catfishpony Linux - Newbie 1 01-14-2011 03:23 PM
Crashing "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 11s" DavidDiggs Linux - Server 2 06-05-2009 12:43 AM
Stuck on "GRUB_" Screen - Will boot from Live CD "Boot from first hard disk" option Snowman11 Linux - Newbie 10 02-01-2009 06:52 PM
Debian Boot Up Problem - stuck at "BR" & "I" jc70417 Debian 2 08-30-2005 04:36 PM
ReiserFS stuck at "Checking transaction log" after power loss zaufe Linux - Hardware 2 06-25-2004 08:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration