LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #136
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1, Slackware 14.1
Posts: 501

Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebud View Post
Anyone else having any issues with TF2 and an AMD graphics card?
I've been gaming on various platforms for decades, and I gotta say, I never liked ATI cards. Sure, at various times they have the performance crown, but the drivers for both linux and Windows were always crap. ATI/AMD just does not put the effort into product support - esp. on Linux - and they drop older cards like a hot rock. Gaming has also been very bumpy on the OSS ati driver. Dump it and go with an Nvidia GTX 550/560 Ti or GTX 560/650 Ti as good bang for the buck (1). Heck, even my GT430 bitch slaps your HD5770 since it just plain works in Steam/TF2

As for you issue, a possible investigative route is to see what patches Ubuntu added to te ATI driver. They fiddle with so much its hard to keep track. That is, on Slackware, you might NOT be running the same driver. Did you look into ../testing/ for the ati and drm stuff? Also, slackware32 or slackware64? Did you double check compat32 files?

Edit:
(1) assuming its not a laptop with the mobility version.

Last edited by kingbeowulf; 12-21-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
 
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #137
NyteOwl
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, others periodically
Posts: 512

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebud View Post
I have an issue with TF2 and I've been trying to track down the cause of this with no luck on Valve's forum.

When I launch TF2 I get this error:

Code:
Could not find required OpenGL entry point 'glColorMaskIndexedEXT'! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated.
glColorMaskIndexedEXT is in GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 which according to your error list the system doesn't support. It isn't an AMD issue as people have gotten the same error on nVidia cards.

You might want toi have a read here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...6056532198187/
 
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #138
Beelzebud
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Arch & Slackware
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbeowulf View Post
I've been gaming on various platforms for decades, and I gotta say, I never liked ATI cards. Sure, at various times they have the performance crown, but the drivers for both linux and Windows were always crap. ATI/AMD just does not put the effort into product support - esp. on Linux - and they drop older cards like a hot rock. Gaming has also been very bumpy on the OSS ati driver. Dump it and go with an Nvidia GTX 550/560 Ti or GTX 560/650 Ti as good bang for the buck (1). Heck, even my GT430 bitch slaps your HD5770 since it just plain works in Steam/TF2

As for you issue, a possible investigative route is to see what patches Ubuntu added to te ATI driver. They fiddle with so much its hard to keep track. That is, on Slackware, you might NOT be running the same driver. Did you look into ../testing/ for the ati and drm stuff? Also, slackware32 or slackware64? Did you double check compat32 files?

Edit:
(1) assuming its not a laptop with the mobility version.
Desktop machine, slackware64 with multilibs, no money to upgrade graphics atm. I didn't think about any possible Ubuntu patches. I'll have to check in to that.

Haven't had any issues with AMD drivers in windows at all with this card, but Linux is another story. I don't think they put the proper amount of time and testing in to their Linux stuff.

Last edited by Beelzebud; 12-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
 
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #139
tallship
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern San Clemente, California USA
Distribution: Slackware - duh!
Posts: 520
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Steam = Stupid terrible egregious antisocial malware

IMHO of course
Oh kewl!,

And YAS can mean Yet Another Steam


 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #140
mlangdn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,371

Rep: Reputation: 163Reputation: 163
Upgraded Steam and downloading TF2. All seems well so far. I'm glad they opened up the beta to all. That seems to me to be an indication of the response from Linux Gamers.
 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #141
Geremia
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 5
I encountered this steamui.so problem, too. I ran this
Code:
ldd ~/.steam/bin/steamui.so | grep "not found"
and discovered I have some missing libraries:
Code:
        libnss3.so => not found
        libnssutil3.so => not found
        libsmime3.so => not found
        libplc4.so => not found
        libnspr4.so => not found
These appear to be part of the OpenSSL library. I'll probably have to install the 32 bit SSL. I also updated my multilibs, too.
 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #142
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Those are part of the seamonkey-solibs package (multilib version is what Steam needs) which you probably already have installed. My steamclient package has a modified /ysr/bin/steam startup script which adds "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/seamonkey" thereby making these "missing" libraries found by Steam.
Running ldd against that steam library will show those as "missing" until you run "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/seamonkey" in your terminal.

Eric
 
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #143
Geremia
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The pulseaudio connect error may be caused by the fact that you have not started the rc.pulseaudio which was installed along with the pulseaudio package.
I thought your page said to chmod -x that.
 
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #144
Geremia
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Those are part of the seamonkey-solibs package (multilib version is what Steam needs) which you probably already have installed.
Yes, I have that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
My steamclient package has a modified /ysr/bin/steam startup script which adds "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/seamonkey" thereby making these "missing" libraries found by Steam.
My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is:
Code:
"/usr/lib/":${HOME}/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/:/usr/lib/seamonkey
, so ldd now reports I don't have any missing libraries, but now I get the following errors and warning:
Code:
[1222/200033:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
Code:
[1222/200033:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Code:
PulseAudio connect failed (used only for Mic Volume Control) with error: Access denied
And tons of these:
Code:
GLError: 1280
Thanks
 
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #145
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The "GLErrors" are the real errors which you have to solve, the other messages are probably harmless. I have them too, except the NetworManager message which I never saw. Are you running this as root?

Eric
 
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #146
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,353
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978
I had the NetworkManager errors also, the simple solution was to start NetworkManager.
 
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #147
digitalFX
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
To those of you getting the line 287 segfaults, make sure your video driver has 32 bit compatibility. I had to reinstall the nvidia driver with "COMPAT32="yes"".
 
Old 12-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #148
Geremia
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalFX View Post
To those of you getting the line 287 segfaults, make sure your video driver has 32 bit compatibility. I had to reinstall the nvidia driver with "COMPAT32="yes"".
My driver is Intel i915, so I'm not sure if it has 32-bit compatibility nor do I know if there's a compat32 version… I'll check. Thanks

---------- Post added 12-23-12 at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The "GLErrors" are the real errors which you have to solve, the other messages are probably harmless. I have them too, except the NetworManager message which I never saw. Are you running this as root?
I get the same GLErrors as root, too.
 
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #149
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 799

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Intel GPUs need Mesa 9.0, otherwise Steam will crash.
 
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #150
buradd
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
i see the package you built alienbob, thanks!

Last edited by buradd; 12-27-2012 at 12:48 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Steam Linux Beta Build Surfaces In Steam’s Database LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-06-2012 04:00 PM
Steam jrduffis Ubuntu 6 08-08-2012 07:01 PM
Steam on Wine, cannot login,"Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers" cantab Linux - Games 1 06-19-2010 06:32 AM
Steam. meisbob Linux - Games 8 08-19-2006 08:28 PM
Slackware 10 and WineX/Cedega + Steam php Linux - Games 4 07-24-2004 05:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration