LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65

Quite a few years ago I somehow decided to look at encryption of volumes/disks (I was using SuSE). I've been going ape-crazy trying to remember what it was and finally did today...ScramDisk http://sd4l.sourceforge.net/

At the time I was looking at it, it was working wonderfully for kernel 2.x and my SuSE. There still seems to be a 'little' bit of work on it according to a post or two on the sourceforge page and one of the devs had uploaded a couple of patches to try and get it working on 3.x kernels.

QWithout the patch, the build gets stuck much earlier than after the patch is applied. After applying the patch, the build gets stuck at:

Code:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/build/ScramDisk-2.1/utils'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/me/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG
- -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/lib/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I.
- -I/usr/lib/qt/include/QtCore -I/usr/lib/qt/include/QtGui -I/usr/lib/qt/include
- -I../crypto -I../driver -I../utils -I. -o scramdisk.o scramdisk.cpp
scramdisk.cpp:292:24: fatal error: qhgroupbox.h: No such file or directory
#include <qhgroupbox.h> ^ compilation terminated. make[1]: *** [scramdisk.o]
Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
make: *** [all] Error 1
I've joined the users mailing list and sent that in, but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully if more people can get interested in it again it will let the devs know we miss it and need it (especially *IF* this truecrypt thing turns out to be real).
 
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #32
dunric
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 54
Not personally using but by the error message you would probably need qt3 installed, for latest release available here at SlackBuilds.org.
Or try to compile without Qt GUI if there is such option.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #33
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunric View Post
Not personally using but by the error message you would probably need qt3 installed, for latest release available here at SlackBuilds.org.
Or try to compile without Qt GUI if there is such option.
Thanks for that tip, dunric.

Unfortunately I just can't seem to get the makefile and the Scrqamdisk.pro fixed up right to start 'make'

Not being a programmer, I can sometimes muddle my way through these things just barely enough to make them work. This time though is one of those times that even after 8+ hours I just can't seem to get it right.

Maybe one day someone who understands this stuff will look at it. I'm pretty sure someone who programs, even a beginner, could fix it correctly...I'm just not even a 'beginner', no programming skills, I just 'look' at things and add this or delete that and keep trying (if that makes sense).

Anyway, I appreciate the tip as it's qt3 that this app is wanting to use to build it.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #34
ml4711
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ryomgård, Danmark
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 37
just make sure that it is qt3 qmake that is used:

I use qt3 from slackbuilds.org

Code:
export PATH=/opt/lib64/qt3/bin:$PATH

cd ScramDisk-2.1/gui

qmake
make
Have build on slackware64 14.0 with kernel 3.10.32

had to patch with ScramDisk-2.1.patch
from http://ehc.ac/p/sd4l/bugs/27/

and further patch sddriver.c in 3 places to build kernel module

(from ScramDisk-2.1.patch.for.linux.3.14)
 
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #35
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml4711 View Post
just make sure that it is qt3 qmake that is used:

I use qt3 from slackbuilds.org

Code:
export PATH=/opt/lib64/qt3/bin:$PATH

cd ScramDisk-2.1/gui

qmake
make
Have build on slackware64 14.0 with kernel 3.10.32

had to patch with ScramDisk-2.1.patch
from http://ehc.ac/p/sd4l/bugs/27/

and further patch sddriver.c in 3 places to build kernel module

(from ScramDisk-2.1.patch.for.linux.3.14)
Okay...I applied both patches, exported (but my PATH is /opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/bin), then did what you showed above by cd'ing into ScramDisk-2.1/gui

I then (in that directory) did qmake, but when I went to do 'make', I get bash: make: command not found

Am I supposed to be 'making' as root or user?

It also seems my bash is now borked. No commands I enter are recognized, not 'patch', not even 'ls'. What have I done wrong now?

UPDATE: Okay, I sorta figured out how to get my bash working again (I copied the PATH from profile in /etc and just 'export' that to get back to working normal).

So here's what I've been doing to try and build this:

I tried patching with *both* patches. The first time I did 'make', it stopped at the error of the sddriver.

Deleted that directory and extracted a new one from the tarball.

Patched with just the one (*not* the kernel 3.14) patch.

Entered ScramDisk-2.1

Entered ScramDisk-2.1/gui and did the 'export' to my qt3

Did 'qmake' and since 'make' doesn't work after this, I 'export' back to my normal bash.

I then cd back to ScramDisk-2.1 and do 'make'.

It is working longer than it ever has, but it again stops at:

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/john/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/lib/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/lib/qt/include/QtCore -I/usr/lib/qt/include/QtGui -I/usr/lib/qt/include -I../crypto -I../driver -I../utils -I. -o scramdisk.o scramdisk.cpp
scramdisk.cpp:292:24: fatal error: qhgroupbox.h: No such file or directory
 #include <qhgroupbox.h>
                        ^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [scramdisk.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
make: *** [all] Error 1
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or anything?

I'd really, really like to try and get this working so I can test it out on my Slackware 14.1 (32bit) and if it works, then maybe try to get a couple of people to help me make it into a Slackbuild.

Last edited by irgunII; 05-31-2014 at 12:14 PM.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #36
ml4711
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ryomgård, Danmark
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 37
Maybe you did not keep your original PATH

you need:

Code:
export PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/bin:$PATH

remember this one ______________________^^^^^^^
The search parth is now first /opt/kde3.. and then what you had before!

supposed to'make' as user
and 'make install' as root

Just close the terminal window you are in,
and open a new one, and you have your original PATH

Do not apply the full ScramDisk-2.1.patch.for.linux.3.14 patch,
just 3 places are needed

Last edited by ml4711; 05-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #37
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml4711 View Post
Maybe you did not keep your original PATH

you need:

Code:
export PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/bin:$PATH

remember this one ______________________^^^^^^^
The search parth is now first /opt/kde3.. and then what you had before!

supposed to'make' as user
and 'make install' as root

Just close the terminal window you are in,
and open a new one, and you have your original PATH

Do not apply the full ScramDisk-2.1.patch.for.linux.3.14 patch,
just 3 places are needed
Okay, got it all straightened out, but no matter what I do, I either come to the error of my original post of

Code:
scramdisk.cpp:292:24: fatal error: qhgroupbox.h: No such file or directory
 #include <qhgroupbox.h>
                        ^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [scramdisk.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
make: *** [all] Error 1
--OR--

I come to a similar error but one that complains about

Code:
scramdisk.cpp:285:19: fatal error: qrect.h: No such file or directory
 #include <qrect.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [scramdisk.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/build/ScramDisk-2.1/gui'
make: *** [all] Error 1
Seems I can't even win at losing, lol.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #38
dunric
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 54
@irgunII If you've managed to install qt3, C++ compiler tells you it can't just find qt3 header file(s). You'd need to set correct paths for include and library files, either in Makefile or in an environment. Compiler recognizes C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH where searches header files and LIBRARY_PATH for library files. Multiple paths are colon-separated.
 
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #39
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunric View Post
@irgunII If you've managed to install qt3,
This I got done but wasn't as easy as just getting it off Slackbuilds.org, took a little more but not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunric View Post
C++ compiler tells you it can't just find qt3 header file(s). You'd need to set correct paths for include and library files, either in Makefile or in an environment. Compiler recognizes C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH where searches header files and LIBRARY_PATH for library files. Multiple paths are colon-separated.
Believe it or not, as I (tried to) explained in another post in this thread, I was actually sort of getting there by over and over doing different things to the 'Makefiles' *and* Scramdisk.pro (found out that one was really messing my saves up after about 6 hours, heh). Something though just never seems to quite get it right and it always fails at one or the other above errors. Since I have no clue what I'm really doing, I'm just bumbling along and hoping for the best when I'm doing this kind of thing (again, I'm no programmer and can't even write a bash script).

It still doesn't explain why it worked for ml4711 with what he did and it doesn't do it for me (or more than likely I just simply don't understand something somewhere and am missing it completely).

Anyway, been going at it for at least a full 16 hours now and since I haven't the skills to figure out anything more than what I've already tried on my own and it doesn't seem like too much other interest has picked up for this, it's probably best I just let it gather dust and forget it. Kind of a bummer though since I believe it could be another good disk encryption app to have around so that the linux world isn't so sparse and running around with its head cut off trying to find a replacement. Thanks though for the help, it's honestly appreciated.
 
Old 06-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #40
jrosco
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaschima View Post
A fork is likely:
These guys are having a go http://truecrypt.ch/

source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTcwNTc
 
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #41
ml4711
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ryomgård, Danmark
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 37
It seems Your qt3 install is not complete,
maybe You are missing "/etc/profile.d/qt.sh"
which set up needed environment variables for You.
The needed ones to set are: QTDIR and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

Or you do not have the qt3 include files in the right place.

I did try to compile without those two variables set, and got the same errors as You get.

Actually you don't need to call qmake yourself, as it is called from the Makefile.

So the full command set to compile should be:

Code:
cd ScramDisk-2.1

export PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/bin:$PATH
export QTDIR=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

make
Enjoy
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #42
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosco View Post
Yeah, I read that the other day. Doesn't cancel my statement though about having more than just one or two apps that do this kind of thing around for us linux users.
 
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #43
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml4711 View Post
It seems Your qt3 install is not complete,
maybe You are missing "/etc/profile.d/qt.sh"
which set up needed environment variables for You.
The needed ones to set are: QTDIR and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

Or you do not have the qt3 include files in the right place.

I did try to compile without those two variables set, and got the same errors as You get.

Actually you don't need to call qmake yourself, as it is called from the Makefile.

So the full command set to compile should be:

Code:
cd ScramDisk-2.1

export PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/bin:$PATH
export QTDIR=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/kde3/lib/qt3-3.3.8b/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

make
Enjoy
AHA!! That code is what worked! I didn't need anything in /etc/profile.d though.

When I was trying over and over to re-write the Makefile and .pro file and then doing 'make', even though I'd *thought* I'd found everything I could possibly find to do with 'includes' *and* QTDIR's, it would always give the errors I was telling about *and* would rewrite itself back to the stock Makefile (that one *really* was getting me PO'd, lol).

Anyway, it's now installed on my system and I'm going to wipe my spare hdd of any files and give this ScramDisk a try and see if it's working well enough and if it is, I'll try and figure out how to make all this into a Slackbuild for the community (and of course I'll more than likely be back here begging for help with *that too, heh).

I'm very, very grateful for all your help, ml4711, and glad you had the patience to stick with me with all my idiocy.

I also appreciate everyone else who helped. Thanks to all.

JB
 
Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #44
ml4711
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ryomgård, Danmark
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
AHA!! That code is what worked! I didn't need anything in /etc/profile.d though.
Well - actually You do :-)

That little script
- qt.sh would have set QTDIR and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH for You,
so the only thing You had to do was an export of the PATH variable

Just get it from slackbuilds.org,
adjust the path in the script if needed and put it in place.

The qt3.SlackBuild also creates links to the qt3 executables from /opt/bin
so if you have these links, export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH should also have worked!

Very good it worked for You - have a nice Sunday Evening!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #45
irgunII
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Distribution: Slackware. There's something else?
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml4711 View Post
Well - actually You do :-)

That little script
- qt.sh would have set QTDIR and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH for You,
so the only thing You had to do was an export of the PATH variable

Just get it from slackbuilds.org,
adjust the path in the script if needed and put it in place.

The qt3.SlackBuild also creates links to the qt3 executables from /opt/bin
so if you have these links, export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH should also have worked!

Very good it worked for You - have a nice Sunday Evening!
I just took a look and it seems I do have a qt.sh. I can't be absolutely sure that what's in it is what I need when/if doing anything with qt3 ever again, but I *think* it has everything you were saying it *should* have, yes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qt-sh.jpg (68.3 KB, 12 views)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac4Lin Project on Sourceforge.net infra_red_dude Linux - News 51 09-12-2010 03:24 PM
Wassup w/ this sourceforge project...? Alexvader Linux - General 2 04-08-2010 03:14 PM
Sourceforge.net project confusion montylee Programming 15 10-22-2007 08:01 AM
LXer: Rosegarden is SourceForge Project of the Month LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-19-2007 11:12 PM
Upload webpages/project to SourceForge Genjix General 4 03-21-2004 09:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration