SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I upgraded KDE to 3.2 and the kernel to 2.6.4 only to find that I got a "CPU Overload - Aborting" error. I switched the sound hardware to alsa from autodetect and now I got no error but still no system sounds, however xmms and xine as well as other programs worked fine, so I told KDE to use an external player, this was supposed to be temporary. I was told that installing alsa drivers, oss, utils, and libs would fix this, so i installed them. It appears that they installed properly, but now I cannot uncheck "Use external player" in the sound options. How can I switch back to using the default player. I have already tried make uninstalling alsa, but that did not help.
command in konsole as root (alsconf)and follow the instractions.did not help then uninstall alsa and related packages then reinstall all,don't forget what you uninstall,because you will reinstall,tehn reboot your computer and in konsole command again (alsaconf)follow instarctions.
I had this same problem, just fixed it today. In my case it had to do with aRts...probably because I had two different versions of it running. I uninstalled the previous versions and installed the latest build and then KDE loaded extremely fast and without errors. I don't know if this will really help in any way, but that's just what worked for me.
After many hours of research and trail-sniffing I finally found what was causing my system sounds problem. Artsshell was wanting libesd.so.0 which is part of the esound package. I suspect esound had been pillaged when I uninstalled Dropline Gnome (see this thread http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=112865). Once I realized that esound was on the Slackware CD, I reinstalled it and now the system sound works normally. However, now xmms doesn't work. Back to the drawing board.