LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
spevack
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
slave-device-name usage warning when running xterm


Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum, but I've been a slackware user for several years now.

I just upgraded from an 8.1 installation to 9.1. Everything is working fine, but whenever I run an xterm, the following pops up:

Usage: -a <slave-device-name> <host>
-d <slave-device-name>


The xterm window appears, and everything works fine, but this warning is odd and confusing to me. I can't figure out if it's being generated by xterm itself, or by something that runs during xterm's startup.

A little more info:

1. It happens both as root and normal user.
2. It happens in Gnome, as well as when using eXceed on a windows box.
3. The upgrade added the new packages, and also upgraded my kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.22.

I've searched Google, but I'm not finding any answers. Thought I'd ask if anyone here had some ideas of what this might be caused by.

Thank you.
 
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
slackwarefan
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
Looks like it might be talking about your X server, (e.x. slave-device = your computer, host = X server host)

seems like nothing to get worried about though, also does it happen with other X based terminals, like aterm or eterm?
 
Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
spevack
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Wanted to let you all know that I resolved the issue and I thought I'd post the response.

I spoke to a linux guru at my office, and he suggested that I run strace to get the output of xterm.

Examining this output, it was clear that the error message was being generated by a call to utempter.

Checking /var/log/packages, I noticed that two versions were installed.

I did a removepkg on both versions of utempter, and then used swaret to get the latest.

All is well!

Thanks!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slave can't bind with running NIS server rclancy Linux - Networking 0 02-23-2005 06:48 PM
running Xterm JohnD Linux - Newbie 0 02-08-2005 01:47 PM
ext3-fs warning device ext3_clear_journal sKiZZiT Red Hat 3 10-31-2004 03:26 PM
running xprop in an xterm paledread Linux - Newbie 2 02-06-2004 12:55 AM
lilo:***warning :device exceed 1024*** niton Linux - Newbie 2 07-17-2002 10:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration