LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware64 and Kpackage (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware64-and-kpackage-729813/)

InF3sted 06-01-2009 06:43 AM

Slackware64 and Kpackage
 
I have installed Slackware 64, installation was smooth,but Kpackage is not working,first i tried to execute it but it said it needs SMART package installed in order to run,then i downloaded SMART and installed in ,and then i tried again to execute Kpackage,but now it said that i don't have Python RPM module...Any solution for this?

bgeddy 06-01-2009 07:12 AM

Personally I would not recommend using KDE's package management tools on Slackware anyway. Use pkgtools/slackpkg/sbopkg from the cli for reliable results.

cwizardone 06-02-2009 04:00 PM

Kpackage shows a list of all installed packages, a brief description of each package, the file list, and a tree showing where each file is installed.
Can be duplicated with any of the command line tools?
Thanks.

General Failure 06-02-2009 04:28 PM

Not easily. You can get a list from pkgtool, but also from ls /var/log/packages. The files in there also contain the packages file list if I remember correctly, but oh, I just made dolphin crash three times trying to open one of them.

This is 'broken' since 12.2. I also liked kpackage a lot, but well, why else would you want something like smart in slackware? I will not install it just for kpackage. And if I had something like the pkgtools, I wouldn't include it in my distribution, either ;)

allend 06-02-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Kpackage shows a list of all installed packages, a brief description of each package, the file list, and a tree showing where each file is installed.
Can be duplicated with any of the command line tools?
This can be done with Midnight Commander, started from the command line with 'mc'. Change directory to /var/log/packages and the directory listing shows all the installed packges. Select an individual package and choose View (F3) to view the description and file list.

kingbeowulf 06-02-2009 11:47 PM

Also, in KDE, Ark will show the package tree when you open the tgz archive. Also, the same could be done in Konqueror file manager by clicking (or double clicking as the case my be) to expand the package tree. For that new fangled format Slackware is adopting, the appropriate archive tools/plugins will need installing. I found this path easier, especialy since I build a lot of my own packages, than fighting kpackage. I could never get that puppy to work reliably since Slackware 11.

C-Sniper 06-03-2009 12:00 AM

Isn't this a component of KDE that can be removed?

kingbeowulf 06-03-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Isn't this a component of KDE that can be removed?
I'm just too lazy to bother. Not like hard drive space is at a premium - well except some 10 year old laptops I'm donated soon to Free Geek. With hard drive prices these days I just "install all" - 2 weeks ago I picked up a WD 500 GB SATA for $64US.

cwizardone 06-03-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allend (Post 3560949)
This can be done with Midnight Commander, started from the command line with 'mc'. Change directory to /var/log/packages and the directory listing shows all the installed packges. Select an individual package and choose View (F3) to view the description and file list.

That seems to be the long way around, but thanks for the information.
:)

C-Sniper 06-03-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf999 (Post 3561138)
I'm just too lazy to bother. Not like hard drive space is at a premium - well except some 10 year old laptops I'm donated soon to Free Geek. With hard drive prices these days I just "install all" - 2 weeks ago I picked up a WD 500 GB SATA for $64US.

It was more as a *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* to the developers.

mattydee 06-10-2009 11:42 AM

rpm has now been upgraded:
June 6 - ap/rpm-4.7.0-i486-2.txz: Recompiled to add python bindings.

kpackage now "works" with smart installed.
However
1. For some reason, I can't get the file list feature to work.
2. You can only search by package name only (no suffix), so something useful like search "SBo" no longer works.

bgeddy 06-10-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

kpackage now "works" with smart installed.
However
1. For some reason, I can't get the file list feature to work.
2. You can only search by package name only (no suffix), so something useful like search "SBo" no longer works
Yes - I've noticed this behavoir..

You can display the files included in a package from the KDE gui with smart by running "smart --gui" and selecting the "content" tab.

Hopefully this is and on-going WIP and will be fixed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.