Slackware x86_64 '-current' FireFox & Thunderbird issues with linking
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi, onebuck. I originally gave up on trying to get TB3 to work in Slack13.0. The instructions I had said that it had to be compiled in 13.0; that is what I did & I could never get a link to open in FF, regardless of what I tried. Since then, I, too have installed -current &, when I first clicked a link, it opened a dialog that let me choose the browser to open when a link was clicked. I pointed it at FF & everything has been fine since. I must have held my mouth right, however, 'cause I have no idea why it worked the last time & not the first.
BTW, during my original search for a solution, I found an extension named ThunderBrowse, which opens links in TB on a left click & in FF on a middle click. Really nice for a quick look at a link in an email.
How odd I was sent a link in an email the other day and it opened perfectly. I am running Slackware64-current (multi-lib) 22.214.171.124, Firefox 3.5.7, Thunderbird 3.0 the link I was sent is http://www.anvtech.com/cgi-bin/db.pl
Just a few minutes ago, I clicked a link to an "https" site. The dialog box jumped up again, asking which program TB should send that type of file to. There was also a comment at the bottom of the box to the effect that "This can be changed in TBs preferences." If you go to the preferences menu item, then click on "Attachments", you will find an entire list of files that need to open in other programs & you will have the ability to choose those programs. One could hope that once those are filled in, it will work, but I have no idea why you (& myself the first time) did not get the dialog box.
It worked fine for me.
In one computer I edited the pref.js and in the other when the thunderbird ask me what application I want to use, I choose /usr/bin/firefox and choose to use always that application for that.
That finally got FF to open links from Thunderbird. I had been all over the preferences menu trying to find a solution, and your solution worked perfectly. I had tried all the prefs.js and about:config options, and they were actually already in place in both locations. But going into attachments finally got it right.
I've been fighting with this on & off most of the day. I finally just 'removepkg mozilla-thunderbird-3.0-x86_64-1'. Then removed '~.thunderbird'. Then from the Slackware64 dvd, 'installpkg mozilla-thunderbird-3.0-x86_64-1'.
Of course I had to create my accounts again but at least I can link from within the email again.
I battled with trying to setup 'prefs.js' but decided to try the above. Works for now.