LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   slackware server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-server-653391/)

eddygrinder 07-03-2008 01:12 PM

slackware server
 
Hi!

I'm a teacher in a school and i have some ideas to make a transition to open source.

The task is huge, very huge indeed... I think!

Actual situation:
a) 1 library - all pc's with wi***s XP (no server);
b) 1 room for class director - 3 pc's with wi***s XP connected to the administrative server.
c) 1 teachers room with 4 pc's - 2 wi***s XP + 2 with ubuntu (no server)

My idea:

All the workstation with slackware and kde3.5 configured correctly for teachers and students (basically: office, internet, pdf, e-mail account, and of course easy of use of pen drivers)

Server: Slackware

Situation 1 (ideal):
- 1 server to a) and c), teachers and students have their own login and password with a disk quota.

Situation 2:
- 1 server to a) and c), teachers and students have one general login and password.

b) has to authenticate to a windows server.

Need some advice!
Is there any other choice?

Thx a lot

DotHQ 07-03-2008 01:21 PM

Situation 1 is the way to go.
Once the systems are set up you really want separate accounts as much as possible.
Keep in mind that each server would have separate logins and ID's. joe on server1 would not be the same as joe on server2 each could have a separate password. If joe changed his password on server1 he would still have the old password on server2, unless he visited each server and changed the password manually. That is unless you run a kerberos server. Kerberos would allow all to authenticate to one server and have the same password on all servers.
Running servers with multiple people using the same login would be a nightmare. No one could save a file and be sure someone else didn't come along and modify the file etc. Individual logins are the way to go.

Alien Bob 07-03-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotHQ (Post 3203178)
Keep in mind that each server would have separate logins and ID's.

You would not need Kerberos per se. Using LDAP for the account back-end database will allow you to have user accounts that are the same on all PC's you logon to. And with a Samba server using that LDAP database, your Windows computers will be able to use the Samba server as a Domain Controller and your students/teachers would be able to use their private account to logon to any of the computers in the network. When you add network profiles, they will even be able to get their own desktop back on every PC they login to.
The CUPS program will integrate with Samba to give everyone access to printer queues, and you can even enable automatic printer driver download from the Samba server (including pre-defined printer preferences) the moment a Windows client connects to the printer.

Then, install an IMAP mailserver that is able to use the same LDAP accounts and give everyone a mailbox too. An IMAP Server like Cyrus-IMAP knows the concept of shared mailboxes with access control, so you can create departmental mailboxes, bulletinboard-style mailboxes etc...

Eric

eddygrinder 07-07-2008 08:15 AM

Hello, thx for the info!

So, is there any gui no configure LDAP? Or i have to do all the work in command line?

For now, i don't need a mail server, only disk quotas - LDAP, a samba!

Thx
EddY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 3203202)
You would not need Kerberos per se. Using LDAP for the account back-end database will allow you to have user accounts that are the same on all PC's you logon to. And with a Samba server using that LDAP database, your Windows computers will be able to use the Samba server as a Domain Controller and your students/teachers would be able to use their private account to logon to any of the computers in the network. When you add network profiles, they will even be able to get their own desktop back on every PC they login to.
The CUPS program will integrate with Samba to give everyone access to printer queues, and you can even enable automatic printer driver download from the Samba server (including pre-defined printer preferences) the moment a Windows client connects to the printer.

Then, install an IMAP mailserver that is able to use the same LDAP accounts and give everyone a mailbox too. An IMAP Server like Cyrus-IMAP knows the concept of shared mailboxes with access control, so you can create departmental mailboxes, bulletinboard-style mailboxes etc...

Eric


msantinho 07-07-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddygrinder (Post 3206598)
So, is there any gui no configure LDAP? Or i have to do all the work in command line?

Try these:
- phpldapadmin
- GtkOL LDAP

Alien Bob 07-07-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantinho (Post 3206648)
Try these:
- phpldapadmin
- GtkOL LDAP

Also, check LDAP Account Manager (LAM)

Eric

eddygrinder 07-12-2008 02:17 PM

Hi!
Well... I'm a bit lost!

So:
1) I must configure LDAP and LAM for the user accounts, right?
2) Install samba to share files and printers between wi**ows users;
3) Install and configure DHCP server

What should i use to enable disk quotas? Could my hard drive be formated with reiserFS filesystem?

Is that all? Is is the order that i must follow?
Damn it... So much thing to learn and i don't know where to start!!!

Thx
EddY


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.