LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #46
Maligree
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Distribution: Gentoo, CentOS, Fedora, Arch
Posts: 231
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 42

You'll get used to it. Next time it changes you'll be like "why change, the previous one was way better".
 
Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #47
samac
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Westray, Orkney
Distribution: Linux Mint 17.1
Posts: 1,424

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
Slackware's philosophy is K.I.S.S. and that logo is about the most complicated, difficult to read, and frankly hard on the eyes, logo that I have ever seen.

I don't think that it will enhance the Slackware Brand, and that is what logos and marketing are all about. I see it going one of two ways:

1: People will look at it and think Slackware is complicated and hard to understand. This will drive away potential new users.

or

2: People will look at the logo because their friend has jovially asked them to look at the "new, awful Slackware logo", and they will be left with the overall impression that Slackware is nothing but a joke. This will again drive away potential converts.

Either way I do not see the benefit.

However that is merely my tuppence worth.

samac
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #48
/dev/me
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 116

Rep: Reputation: 20
It's not that bad the fourth time I look at it ;-) It sorta grows on you...


But, one thing, Slackware's site never changed in ... ehm ... I dunno? It's still that spartanic black&white plain text site. I always felt that was a clever way to scare off people who have no business running Slack. You know, the type that bases their choice of OS on screenshots of the default wallpaper. But now I hear terms I never associated with Slackware before... terms like 'marketing', 'appeal to users', 'new users'.

What is this? Next time I visit slackware.com I see pictures of smiling people with their laptop in the park? Happy colors? Flash animation (omg no I didn't say that!) where will it end is what I want to know :s

I always took it people who visit slackware.com already know what it is, hence there is no effort made to appeal to 'new' visitors.
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #49
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackb0t View Post
why would xavierp or whatever.. close the poll i started in a different thread... this one is opinion.. but most don't want to write anything but they would select a box for a poll... restore my post!!! or are you scared of the results?? ... hmm... exactly.
Two reasons: it didn't have a discussion attached (you didn't even post your opinion, so why should anyone else?) and it didn't cover anything that this thread doesn't.

And read this thread, I've put up my opinion of the logo. Can you say the same?
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #50
rkrishna
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: chennai(madras), India
Distribution: slackware ofcourse
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
?Daerht siht gnidaer si taP fi rednow i .Llop a dah evah dluohs ew .Ti rof naht ti tsniaga eb ot mees elpoep erom
nice reply to the logo or to pat.

if no other way, we will get used to it.
the same thing happened to gnome, pat removed it with reasons, many supported and now we are used to it, we dont even know the current available version of gnome.

here in this case, most of us are not supporting the new logo.
and it will be there unless pat decided to change it.
most of us are using slackware only because of this forum.
i hope pat will be reading this thread (as brianL said)

the logo is not well done, it is flippy, and withought any doubt, it will not readable because the flipping (upside down) of 'S' should give 'e' and the otherway too..

XavierP : the poll would have been a more easy way to understand he numbers.

regards
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #51
rkrishna
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: chennai(madras), India
Distribution: slackware ofcourse
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 32
We also miss the linux part of the logo

i hope it was Slackware+linux
 
Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #52
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,145
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Slackware Logo Ambigram Creates Konfusion We Are Really Exasperated
 
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #53
Rupa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, NetBSD
Posts: 80

Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
It's there and it stays there - why do you all think it will suddenly go away if you complain loud enough?
Hm, let's see... maybe because we're the customers? It can be very hard for a company if the customers don't want to identify with their product any longer...
 
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #54
b0uncer
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: CentOS, OS X
Posts: 5,131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just noticed the new logo after opening this thread..and I don't like it either, compared to the old one. It seems they just fixed a working thing and here's the result then but as long as the distribution remains as good as it is now, I don't think a logo matters.

EDIT: now that I look at it, it resembles "slackwars"..oh well

Last edited by b0uncer; 08-17-2008 at 09:33 AM.
 
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #55
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,808

Rep: Reputation: 234Reputation: 234Reputation: 234
I can't believe that people can take this sort of thing so personally. Changing distro because of the logo? Give us a break...

Personally, I like the new logo. Have done since I first saw it. It's witty, simple and long overdue!

My only complaint is that they're not selling baseball caps with this logo yet. I'd buy one if they did...
 
Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #56
Okie
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 966

Rep: Reputation: 34
I like the new logo just fine...
 
Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #57
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 288Reputation: 288Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/me View Post
But, one thing, Slackware's site never changed in ... ehm ... I dunno? It's still that spartanic black&white plain text site. I always felt that was a clever way to scare off people who have no business running Slack.
You may have a point there.I have seen people complaining about the the fact that the Slackware site is so plain looking on the Ubuntu forums.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=slackware

To be honest, I did not even notice the new logo until I saw this thread. I always liked the fact that the Slackware site was so simple (as in KISS), and that it was one of the few constants left in an ever changing world. Guess it will take some getting used to.
 
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #58
bashyow
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: uk
Distribution: Slackware 12.1, AND IM LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT, JERRY! :D
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
on my reckoning (in this thread and the other 'New logo and KDE' thread)

FOR = 19
AGAINST = 27
INDIFFERENT = 7

Last edited by bashyow; 08-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.
 
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #59
skog
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: TX
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 301

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrishna View Post
nice reply to the logo or to pat.

if no other way, we will get used to it.
the same thing happened to gnome, pat removed it with reasons, many supported and now we are used to it, we dont even know the current available version of gnome.

here in this case, most of us are not supporting the new logo.
and it will be there unless pat decided to change it.
most of us are using slackware only because of this forum.
i hope pat will be reading this thread (as brianL said)

the logo is not well done, it is flippy, and withought any doubt, it will not readable because the flipping (upside down) of 'S' should give 'e' and the otherway too..

XavierP : the poll would have been a more easy way to understand he numbers.

regards

supporting the new logo? Does it go down, haha yea it does and backwards too!

i don't use slackware because of this forum. I use this forum because of slackware. haha more flippy! (* no insult to LQ intended of course *)

Last edited by skog; 08-17-2008 at 12:15 PM.
 
Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #60
Oliver_H
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupa View Post
Hm, let's see... maybe because we're the customers? It can be very hard for a company if the customers don't want to identify with their product any longer...
You're a customer of Slackware? Why? Because you're buying sometimes a CD set? I bought my first Slack CD set (Walnut Greek) back in the early 90s, but I don't feel like a customer. I feel like some user who admires Pats work, not to forget the work of his co-workers.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware Logo Font!?? FreakboY Slackware 6 11-18-2011 06:49 PM
How to replace the Penguin with the Slackware logo jayhel Slackware - Installation 4 11-30-2006 01:23 PM
How to replace the Penguin with the Slackware logo jayhel Slackware 4 11-30-2006 01:51 AM
Change Suse Logo to KDE Logo little_penguin Suse/Novell 2 04-05-2005 06:35 PM
Slackware Logo Icon Obelus Slackware 3 01-15-2004 01:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration