LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #406
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,808

Rep: Reputation: 234Reputation: 234Reputation: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
hehe. If you think this is backward you should check out JCL condition code logic sometime.
No thanks. I'm still trying to get my head around woman logic after 10 years marriage. The last thing I need is another challenge like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
If you think of the runlevel directory as a list of things to stop(if started), and things to start(if stopped), in order to achieve that runlevel then it doesn't seem quite so crazy. The idea just takes a little getting used to.
But what if the new runlevel doesn't have a 'kill' link for a service which doesn't need to be running in that level? E.g. What if you went from runlevel 4 to runlevel 1? Surely, runlevel 1 doesn't need a 'kill' link for every service on the machine?

From this angle, I'm happier with the Slackware way...

Last edited by rkelsen; 06-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #407
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,298

Rep: Reputation: 722Reputation: 722Reputation: 722Reputation: 722Reputation: 722Reputation: 722Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Straw man. Nice.
Either you don't know what that means, or you have failed to produce a strong argument and want to divert the conversation. Read ReaperX7's post and look at the part I quoted in my original post, then read my reply. That sentence is obviously about the requirement of knowing dependencies in SysV init and not about whether or not Slackware can run SysV-style init scripts. Your post was the straw man argument, not mine -- you replied to a point that I had not made. Additionally, I defended every angle of my point, both covering your assumption of its meaning and its intended meaning, and still showed my point's correctness (even from your misinterpretation). That is most certainly not a straw man argument. I will repeat myself here...and this of course hilights your straw man argument, not mine. "Anyway, this is all overblown, because good reading comprehension would have indicated that the focus of that sentence was on the requirement of knowing startup dependencies with SysV init, and that this is not unique with systemd." What I said was still absolutely correct (as shown by the "Slackware-style" adjective) even when you are making your straw man argument, and since that sentence was not meant to evoke discussion about Slackware's support for SysV init style scripts but was VERY CLEARLY about needing to know startup dependencies in both SysV init and systemd systems, it makes you look even more foolish.

If you wanted to intelligently argue against that point (which you absolutely have not done), you could say that, while you do, to a degree, need to know startup dependencies using SysV init systems (specifically in Slackware), the depth of knowledge required for adding third-party software is lower, because most third-party software is just run after the critical systems are already up (whereas in systemd you may have to explicitly specify which critical systems must be up). Thus, using systemd requires a *more thorough* knowledge of startup dependencies, while SysV init requires less (though non-zero) knowledge of those dependencies. I have successfully argued against my own point (though to a lesser degree than your all-nullifying straw man argument -- which was incorrect anyway).

Perhaps if you read my posts without some imagined snarky tone in your head you would see that they are actually factual. There are debatable points, and there are facts; you have chosen to debate facts. That is a fool's errand.
 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #408
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,503

Rep: Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Surely, runlevel 1 doesn't need a 'kill' link for most services on the machine?
No, that's exactly how it's expected to work.
And don't call me Shirley!


I'm just glad slackware uses bsd-style init scripts instead and we don't have to worry about the sysv directories.
 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #409
Loomx
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
When I logged in this morning, the motd was:
Code:
But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the
system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed,
analyzed, and replaced with new weaknesses.
                -- Bruce Leverett, "Register Allocation in Optimizing Compilers
I'm not really opposed to systemd per se, but I'm confident that Slackware won't even consider including it unless the day comes when it has thoroughly proven itself.
Such are the benefits of living under a BDFL
 
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #410
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: LFS-7.6, Slackware 14.1, FreeBSD 10.1
Posts: 3,849
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191
Yes, and be thankful Patrick is in fact Benevolent. At least he listens to the concerns of the users.
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #411
Anonymo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Distribution: Slackware, Archlinux, CentOS
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
Yes, and be thankful Patrick is in fact Benevolent. At least he listens to the concerns of the users.
"That's [Pat]. He fights for the Users."
 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #412
qweasd
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 486

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Move over, "Bob", "Pat"'s in the house!
 
Old 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #413
Anonymo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Distribution: Slackware, Archlinux, CentOS
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweasd View Post
Move over, "Bob", "Pat"'s in the house!
I was thinking TRON
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #414
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: LFS-7.6, Slackware 14.1, FreeBSD 10.1
Posts: 3,849
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191Reputation: 1191
Now all we need is a picture of Pat's head smoking a pipe.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #415
TalonNexaris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD / Windows 7
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
@TalonNexaris: Whilst I agree this thread is way too heated and emotional that sentence could easily be flipped around,

Wait and see how systemd performs in an enterprise environment before praising it and its supporters.
True. I'm just saying that most discussions revolving around systemd that I've seen tend to be emotionally charged rather then technical.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #416
astrogeek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]X{.0|.1|.2|-current} ::X>=12<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1}
Posts: 2,188

Rep: Reputation: 862Reputation: 862Reputation: 862Reputation: 862Reputation: 862Reputation: 862Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonNexaris View Post
True. I'm just saying that most discussions revolving around systemd that I've seen tend to be emotionally charged rather then technical.
Which implies that "technical" arguments are the only "valid" arguments in some sense, and that other arguments, emptional as they may seem, are not valid.

But our computers, being at the core of our knowledge, information, entertainment, interests and jobs, and liberties, are inherently more personal than many other technical subjects. So it is natural that these discussions include non-technical aspects. But to characterize every non-tecnical argument as being "emotionally charged" is really disingenuous.

And it really is ambiguous what a purely "technical" argument is anyway - can you defne that for us?

Similarly, that is in fact one very important reason that M$ vs Linux discussions usually become emotionally charged, and why the marketing interests always try to derail the very valid non-technical arguments onto the technical side track. Once there, a conclusion can never be arrived at simply because there is really no definitive technical right and wrong in many cases, so market speak can then previail.

For example, I myself reject any M$ product because they are harmful to my liberty, no "technical" argument can enter into that for me. But my valid non-technical arguments are summarily dismissed, so I am frequently characterized as "emotional" on the subject - so be it.

I see the same thing happening with systemd - the marketing interests want to have their way, regardless of any other valid, non-technical, so called, arguments by users.

For me, systemd binary logs alone are a deal breaker, they are inherently harmful to my computing uses. Having rejected them on that basis I am simply not interested in hearing so-called technical arguments about their superiority. But those who are convinced by those technical arguments then characterize me as emotional on the subject, but only because they similarly reject my own very valid, "non-technical" arguments.

Let's consider all arguments seriously and not try to reduce it to numerical analysis.

Last edited by astrogeek; 06-08-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Typos..
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #417
TalonNexaris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD / Windows 7
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeek View Post
But to characterize every non-tecnical argument as being "emotionally charged" is really disingenuous.
Just to clarify what I said, when I say "emotionally charged", I'm referring to the outright anger commonly present in any systemd debate. I apologize for any confusion.

Last edited by TalonNexaris; 06-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #418
ottavio
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
What is it that is so fascinating about boot times?
Computers are commodities and need to be sold like bread toasters and washing machines.

To be honest my washing machine's boot time is a bit too long, I might install systemd on it.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #419
bartgymnast
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Distribution: slack 7.1 till latest and -current, LFS
Posts: 272

Rep: Reputation: 93
systemd is still in alpha phase.

as long as for example red hat is not using systemd for RHEL is not even considered stable.
and slackware will not consider using it before RHEL uses it. (look at the consider)

systemd still has a long way to go, lots of problems needs to be fixed, lots of features to be added.
just look at systemd's TODO list. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/TODO

my personal guess is, that it will take 2 years before we can consider in implementing systemd.
systemd is aimed for desktops and not for servers.
for servers systemd is no improvements.
if you look at it from desktop side, than systemd can be a very good init system.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #420
qweasd
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 486

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonNexaris View Post
Just to clarify what I said, when I say "emotionally charged", I'm referring to the outright anger commonly present in any systemd debate. I apologize for any confusion.
Homer's systemd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bHXMogzEm0
 
  


Closed Thread

Tags
cgroups


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Slackware: Is Systemd Inevitable? LXer Syndicated Linux News 5 07-22-2013 05:54 AM
[SOLVED] slackware and systemd fl0 Slackware 512 08-29-2012 12:07 PM
slackware and systemd (OT) eloi Slackware 44 08-24-2012 05:36 PM
[SOLVED] systemd and Slackware's future kikinovak Slackware 95 07-14-2012 12:40 PM
Boot Delay 30min: systemd-analyze blame systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service BGHolmes Fedora 0 07-27-2011 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration