LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware hangs after fresh install (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-hangs-after-fresh-install-545273/)

z31200n3 04-11-2007 06:17 PM

Slackware hangs after fresh install
 
Hello All,

I'm more or less a newb to linux (As of two weeks ago, I officially threw in the towel for M$.....too much frustration and pain for too much money....). Been a Mac user (Im a graphic/web designer) for about three years, and have been wanting to build a file server for my home network. I figured Samba is a good proggy to do such a thing, and downloaded Slackware 11.

I've got a shiny new box. 2.3 ghz Intel processor, 2 gig ram, 250gb western digital SATA drive, cd-rom, dvd-rom....

heres the problem..

I've just done (about 3 times now)a complete install. Im not totaly sure about all the details, but i know i've followed the instructions and each time it seemingly did a succesful install. Exited the installer, removed the cd, Ctrl-alt-del restart, and then right after the BIOS check, it comes up saying:

Quote:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22
and then just hangs.....i have to use the power or reset button on the box to get it do anything (cant 3-key restart).

I've used both the sata.i kernel, and the Huge kernels.....same error....

all of the hardware in this box, with exception to the cd-rom and dvd drives, is brand new from Newegg....

any suggestions?

if you can help me, then the next question I've got will be about networking the whole sh-bang ;-)


thanks in advance,
-John

hitest 04-11-2007 06:23 PM

If your booting a 2.6 kernel ,say huge, you need to install the kernel headers and modules that are located in the /extra directory. The /extra directory will be on the DVD and CD #4 if you're using CDs. Did you install lilo to the MBR?

rkelsen 04-11-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z31200n3
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22

Odd. Slackware doesn't use Grub. Sounds like you didn't install LILO properly.

z31200n3 04-11-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitest
If your booting a 2.6 kernel ,say huge, you need to install the kernel headers and modules that are located in the /extra directory. The /extra directory will be on the DVD and CD #4 if you're using CDs. Did you install lilo to the MBR?

Hello hitest,


No, I did not install lilo to the MBR, and wouldnt you know it....the only cd i dont have is the 4th.....

I'm going to re-download it, and i'll report back when I do.


in the meantime, am I going to need to re-install slack in order to get to the 4th cd? For my install, it just asks for up to the third cd, and doesnt ask for anything else (the install finishes without prompting for the fourth cd). From the sound of it, this cd contains stuff not important for a full install? is this correct?


I dont have a floppy drive hooked up, but I easily could if I need to. Thanks for the quick reply, and I'll let you know when I've got the 4th iso burnt...

-John

z31200n3 04-11-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelsen
Odd. Slackware doesn't use Grub. Sounds like you didn't install LILO properly.


okay...could this be a problem with the way I've got my drive partitioned? i know i've got two partitions, and installed on the smaller of the two.

also, I'm using the reiserFS file-structure....should I use ex2 or 3?

be gentle, I am very wet behind the ears. I ran Mandrake 7 years ago, but I was not nearly into computing as much as I am now, and merely used it to surf the web and listen to music...nothing that even windows cant do a 'decent' job at.....

I had briefly installed SuSe 10.2 before deciding to switch to Slackware, but used Wipe Drive to erase the harddrive, so i'm fairly certain that there is no data on this drive. (Again, I just got the parts in the mail a little over a week ago).

-john

hitest 04-11-2007 06:58 PM

Sorry, my mistake. If you installed 2.6.17.13 the kernel modules are on CD 2 in /extra. The kernel modules for 2.6.18 are on cd 4.

z31200n3 04-11-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitest
Sorry, my mistake. If you installed 2.6.17.13 the kernel modules are on CD 2 in /extra. The kernel modules for 2.6.18 are on cd 4.

well, im downloading the 4th ISO, and im also trying another fresh install. Im going to try using the ext2 file system, with only one partition, and see where that gets me. I'll use the sata.i kernel, and if that doesnt work, i'll try the huge kernel....


let me know if you think of anything else, and I'll report back shortly.....

44 minutes left for the 4th iso....

-john

H_TeXMeX_H 04-11-2007 07:20 PM

If you are dual booting and the grub menu.lst is available for edit, please add an entry for slackware.

If slackware is your only distro, then please install lilo to the MBR.

z31200n3 04-11-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H
If you are dual booting and the grub menu.lst is available for edit, please add an entry for slackware.

If slackware is your only distro, then please install lilo to the MBR.


slackware is the only distro, so on completion of this install, ill put lilo on MBR. In doing so, why should this be put on the MBR? The documentation says 'this is dangerous, dont do this'.


thanks for the suggestions, and I'll report once done


-john

wwpusa 04-11-2007 07:51 PM

I'm not real sure about the dangerous part, never been dangerous to me ... but, if you only have slack installed you need a loader to boot the kernel. It has to be on the MBR.

hitest 04-11-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z31200n3
slackware is the only distro, so on completion of this install, ill put lilo on MBR. In doing so, why should this be put on the MBR? The documentation says 'this is dangerous, dont do this'.


thanks for the suggestions, and I'll report once done


-john

If Slack is the only distro on the system put lilo on the MBR. It isn't dangerous, I've done it may times:-) If lilo is on the MBR your system will boot. Then install kernel headers and modules.

z31200n3 04-11-2007 08:08 PM

success!
 
Ladies and Gentlemen,


It appears that all I had to do was install it to the MBR....viola.....it worked ;-)


thanks so much for the help....its quite possible I'll be asking for more help tonight....gotta setup CUPS, Samba, and get it networked as well......


-John


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.