LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware-current is looking good (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-current-is-looking-good-4175455395/)

mlpa 03-24-2013 03:46 PM

Slackware-current is looking good
 
MySQL was removed and substituted with MariaDB.
Upgraded version of network manager, version 0.9.8 support bridge interfaces.
A minor upgrade to xfce.
And the addition of elilo.

I am expecting a impressive Slackware.
I just want to thanks all the Slackware team for their effort.

hitest 03-24-2013 04:26 PM

Agreed! Slackware-current is looking very good indeed! :)
I am thinking that Slackware 14.1 will be another amazing release.

frankbell 03-24-2013 09:48 PM

I saw the mariadb when I updated one of my Slack boxes today (I'll do the other tomorrow).

Mariadb now has the PV seal of approval. Who could ask for more?

JWJones 03-24-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlpa (Post 4917903)
I am expecting a impressive Slackware.

Is there anything else?

comet.berkeley 03-25-2013 01:05 AM

I keep wondering what the final kernel version will be.

The latest "longterm" kernels are from the 3.4 series.

https://www.kernel.org/

3.7 is at End of Life (EOL) and 3.8 is destined to end once 3.9 is released.

http://www.kroah.com/log/

If Slackware is to be released soon, should it use a longterm 3.4 kernel instead of an EOL 3.7 kernel?

D1ver 03-25-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comet.berkeley (Post 4918118)
I keep wondering what the final kernel version will be.

The latest "longterm" kernels are from the 3.4 series.

https://www.kernel.org/

3.7 is at End of Life (EOL) and 3.8 is destined to end once 3.9 is released.

http://www.kroah.com/log/

If Slackware is to be released soon, should it use a longterm 3.4 kernel instead of an EOL 3.7 kernel?

Since there are not any updates to the kernel once a slackware version is marked stable, is having an EOL kernel an issue?

comet.berkeley 03-25-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1ver (Post 4918130)
Since there are not any updates to the kernel once a slackware version is marked stable, is having an EOL kernel an issue?

I think it is a question of "how stable is it?" to be on an EOL kernel.

Frequently a kernel needs to be replaced because of newer hardware compatibility or for security reasons.

For example, my current hardware cannot run X using the Slackware 14.0 kernel 3.2.29.

So I had to upgrade my kernel to a later one.

To keep a "stable" system the logical thing to do is upgrade to the latest 3.2 kernel, which today is 3.2.41

A jump staying on the same 3.2 level is usually fairly easy as the kernel configuration does not change very much at all.

If kernel 3.2.29 were EOL then I would be forced to go to 3.4 or higher in order to make the system work.

The kernel jump from 3.2 to 3.4 introduces changes to the configuration for which there are no easy answers.

Try configuring a 3.4 kernel starting with a config file from kernel 3.2.29.
Then use "make oldconfig" and you will see all the questions that need to be answered...

So a kernel jump to a new level introduces instability because there are more changes than simply upgrading a kernel on the same level.

kooru 03-25-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlpa (Post 4917903)
MySQL was removed and substituted with MariaDB.

Yeaaaahhhhhh :)

D1ver 03-25-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comet.berkeley (Post 4918168)
I think it is a question of "how stable is it?" to be on an EOL kernel.

Frequently a kernel needs to be replaced because of newer hardware compatibility or for security reasons.

For example, my current hardware cannot run X using the Slackware 14.0 kernel 3.2.29.

So I had to upgrade my kernel to a later one.

To keep a "stable" system the logical thing to do is upgrade to the latest 3.2 kernel, which today is 3.2.41

A jump staying on the same 3.2 level is usually fairly easy as the kernel configuration does not change very much at all.

If kernel 3.2.29 were EOL then I would be forced to go to 3.4 or higher in order to make the system work.

The kernel jump from 3.2 to 3.4 introduces changes to the configuration for which there are no easy answers.

Try configuring a 3.4 kernel starting with a config file from kernel 3.2.29.
Then use "make oldconfig" and you will see all the questions that need to be answered...

So a kernel jump to a new level introduces instability because there are more changes than simply upgrading a kernel on the same level.

Fair enough :) Usually Pat's pretty good about providing different .configs for kernel branches, for example there's a 3.5 and 3.6 .config in /testing and a 3.7 in -current. I do understand what you are saying though, I'd prefer to see a LTS kernel used for the next stable.

I tried to jump from 3.2.29 to 3.2.40 and experienced a couple of hard system lockups this week, so I'm not sure jumping between LTS releases is completely safe, but it's probably safer than jumping between minor number releases.

I'd wager -current will release with the next branch marked LTS, but time will tell!

comet.berkeley 03-25-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comet.berkeley (Post 4918168)
...
For example, my current hardware cannot run X using the Slackware 14.0 kernel 3.2.29.
So I had to upgrade my kernel to a later one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1ver (Post 4918198)
...
I tried to jump from 3.2.29 to 3.2.40 and experienced a couple of hard system lockups this week...

LOL. It seems there is no one "best" version of the 3.2 kernel.

Being able to change kernels easily is one of the reasons I chose Slackware over Debian.

I hope that 3.9 becomes the next Long Term Stable (LTS) branch.

And I'm running 3.9-rc4 right now with no problems.

GazL 03-25-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comet.berkeley (Post 4918597)
I hope that 3.9 becomes the next Long Term Stable (LTS) branch.

Unlikely, 3.4 isn't even a year old yet. If I had to guess I'd probably say 3.10 or 3.11.

colorpurple21859 03-25-2013 03:56 PM

yeah I'm also running a more current kernel, the 3.8.4 kernel due to heating problems with my amd hd6700m hybrid graphics caused by the 3.7.10 kernel.

onebuck 03-25-2013 08:55 PM

Member Response
 
Hi,

I think PV has already stated the '3.7.1' will eventually be the kernel of choice.

Just upgraded my Slackware64 14.0 to '3.7.10' to get the Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 working properly after my Laptop motherboard and wireless daughter-board were replaced by Dell. They still need to replace the USB daughter-board that is still erratic.

PV provides everything at http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/sla...ent/source/k/;README.TXT;
Quote:

Untar Linus' source in /usr/src. Make all files owned by root:root with reasonable perms. Install a suitable .config, or use make menuconfig, etc. An example would be to use one of the config files here:
# cat config-generic-3.7.10 > /usr/src/linux-3.7.10/.config

Then run the build programs:
make oldconfig
make bzImage
make clean
make prepare
rm .version

That's it! You now have a clean Slackware-configured Linux source tree. The kernel in Slackware supports SMP. With as common as multicore CPUs and SMP boards have become, this seemed like the obvious choice. The kernels are probably better for single CPU machines, too, if they will run them. At this point if you are running huge.s or generic.s, you should have no problems building kernel modules. Have fun! :-) Pat
No problems to date while running '3.7.10'.

GazL 03-26-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebuck (Post 4918848)
Hi,

I think PV has already stated the '3.7.1' will eventually be the kernel of choice.

I think you meant 3.7.10 not .1, but what he actually said was:
Quote:

Here we go with some more updates... a few notes on them are in order.
For this kernel update I decided to go with 3.7.10. Yeah, the 3.7 series
is EOL, but I've heard about some broken drivers in 3.8.x that make me
hesitate to push forward. Another option might be to move to 3.4.x, which
is working on my machine finally (a clocksource bug was crashing it with
earlier versions).
"For this kernel update". It doesn't necessarily mean he intends to ship with it when the time comes. Maybe the issues in 3.8 that he's trying to avoid will have been resolved by upstream before current hits RC1.

chrisretusn 03-26-2013 07:30 AM

I was a bit worried with this "drop in" MariaDB replacement for MySQL, but all is well. Not one glitch so far with any of my databases. Phew that's a relief.. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.