LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware cfdisk question (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-cfdisk-question-886188/)

xspartan 06-14-2011 02:06 AM

Slackware cfdisk question
 
Although i use Slackware for many years i never understood something. During the creation of partitions, using cfdisk, there are 2 choices. "Beginning" and "End". What's the difference between these two choices? Does this have to do with older Lilo versions?

george-lappies 06-14-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspartan (Post 4384883)
Although i use Slackware for many years i never understood something. During the creation of partitions, using cfdisk, there are 2 choices. "Beginning" and "End". What's the difference between these two choices? Does this have to do with older Lilo versions?

I think it creates the new partition specified at the end or the start of the open space...

xspartan 06-14-2011 08:13 AM

What will happen if i create the new partition at the end of the open space? Am i going to have problems?

catkin 06-14-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspartan (Post 4385224)
What will happen if i create the new partition at the end of the open space? Am i going to have problems?

No. The relevant considerations are whether you may want to enlarge an adjacent partition and putting heavily accessed file systems near the middle of the drive to minimise head movements.

ahmadj 06-14-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 4385233)
No. The relevant considerations are whether you may want to enlarge an adjacent partition and putting heavily accessed file systems near the middle of the drive to minimise head movements.

And putting your swap partition at the beginning (ie. outside of disk) for faster read/write speeds.

xspartan 06-15-2011 04:31 AM

Thank you all. Marking this as solved.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.