LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
eloi
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 195

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
@eloi: your posts come out looking horrible and unreadable on many small devices. Let the browser decide the wrapping that is appropriate for the device (or screen). Don't try to decide these things for me by forcing hard wrapping that happens to suit you.
In which way I am forcing you?

It is not about what your browser decides. Like I
explained it is the bad designed interface of the
forum what forces you and me.

Now new small devices will force Unix users
to change good habits of decades! Another example
of I what said to varishankar.

Besides, I recieve by email linuxquestions updates
that I read using Mutt. They are unreadable for
me but I will not accuse you to forcing me.

By the way, is this a linux forum?

Last edited by eloi; 08-23-2012 at 07:21 AM.
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,508

Rep: Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
In which way I am forcing you?

It is not about what your browser decides. Like I
explained it is the bad designed interface of the
forum what forces you and me.
If you use Mutt, then use it with Vim as an editor. And avoid forced linebreaks with the tw (textwidth) option like this:

Code:
:set tw=0
Formatting your messages in a way that everybody can read them correctly in their browser is a basic courtesy.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #33
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,003
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763
OK, could y'all please now get this thread back on topic?
TIA.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
eloi
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 195

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
If you use Mutt, then use it with Vim as an editor. And avoid forced linebreaks with the tw (textwidth) option like this:

Code:
:set tw=0
Formatting your messages in a way that everybody can read them correctly in their browser is a basic courtesy.
I've designed sites with php. You must do what I
explained above (in case you know what a regex is).
It is not the user who must change its text editor
habits to workaround a bad web site design.

I will not use top posting or soft wrapping just
because most users out there uses Windows Messenger
(or windows like interfaces running on linux like
KDE) and, what is more important, because it is an
idiot practice. Sorry.

And again, while square minded people could think that
this is off topic I insist that this is the real cause
behind issues like systemd. In the FreeBSD forum
happened to me the same, I was forced to use a soft
wrapped text edition. This should not happen in a
FreeBSD forum or in "the more Unix like linux distro"
forum. I would ask what some guys here thinks KISS
means but I already wasted a lot of time explaining
myself, giving examples of real life, for nothing.

This is another symptom of what I said in my second
post of this thread. And to close my whole idea of
all my posts in this forum this is the point I don't
agree with Stallman: the taste of the masses is the
real dictator. Like I said, "the unbeatable enemy".

From now I will use mailing lists exclusively. I
leave this forum permanently.

If the moderators here think that my "distorted"
english don't feet the level of this forum, that I am
a troll, a drugs addict, that I use a "cryptic"
language, I lack of courtesy, between other
qualifications people here gave me in change feel free
of removing all of my comments.

By

Walter
 
Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,003
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763
//Pruned most OT-ness from this thread to keep things on topic.

@eloi: I don't care if you use Pendactyl, Benzedrine, Florida Snow or California Cornflakes but you do not keep dragging a thread OT after moderators warned 3 times.
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #36
eloi
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 195

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
//Pruned most OT-ness from this thread to keep things on topic.

@eloi: I don't care if you use Pendactyl, Benzedrine, Florida Snow or California Cornflakes but you do not keep dragging a thread OT after moderators warned 3 times.
So you consider OT all that put in evidence the forum
interface bad code. Please, yesterday I've unchecked
in my user preferences the option to receive your messages
in my email, but I've received them anyway, could you
please fix that bug too?

What you've said about pentadactyl is insulting and ignorant
is somebody here to moderate you?
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #37
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
So you consider OT all that put in evidence the forum
interface bad code. Please, yesterday I've unchecked
in my user preferences the option to receive your messages
in my email, but I've received them anyway, could you
please fix that bug too?

What you've said about pentadactyl is insulting and ignorant
is somebody here to moderate you?
this guy is a waste of text.
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #38
dfwrider
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: 17
I don't have a thing for green apples. But I do have a thing for habaneros, seranos and red bell peppers that weren't a product of highly engineered pesticides and fertilizers.

And yes, I have noticed that supply and demand have made it impossible to obtain the wholesome variety without paying obscene prices for them.

So I grow my own. Of the people in my social sphere, that I see on a regular basis, I'm probably the only one that is dinking around in the dirt on any given day, to prepare for my next planting.

If given the opportunity, one of them would be happy to tell me about how much time I'm wasting, and how I'm against progress.

I think I understand perfectly, why someone would build and maintain Slackware. I also understand perfectly why people, maybe not "everyone", but plenty enough, would seek it out, and use it.

d

Last edited by dfwrider; 08-24-2012 at 01:36 AM.
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #39
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,806

Rep: Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
So you consider OT all that put in evidence the forum interface bad code.
In a thread that was supposed to be about systemd, yes that is obviously off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
It is not the user who must change its text editor habits to workaround a bad web site design.
If you think the forum should change or convert your hard wrapped lines for you, or you have other complaints or suggestions about how it should work, why don't you start a thread in LQ Suggestions & Feedback?

In the mean time, would please be so kind as respect the conventions of the forum as they stand today, whether you like them or not. As you can clearly see, the rest of us are not hard wrapping our lines. Since you are in a minority of one, it is up to you to adjust, not us. It is called being polite. The problems of hard wrapping on this forum have already been explained to you and until such a time (if ever) that LQ supports your requested automatic conversion, it is up to you to do it before submitting your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
From now I will use mailing lists exclusively. I leave this forum permanently.
Alternatively, yes, this is the other option.

Last edited by ruario; 08-24-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added more quoting (I missed some of eloi's comments because his posts are so annoying to read.)
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #40
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Distribution: LFS-SVN, Slackware-14.1, PCBSD-10.0
Posts: 2,900
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 745Reputation: 745Reputation: 745Reputation: 745Reputation: 745Reputation: 745Reputation: 745
We really need a subforum called "The SoapBox" where anything goes and can be kept away from the normal chatter. users can only post, no editing or deleting. Once you've said you're peace, that's it.
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #41
TracyTiger
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: California, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 59
The gospel according to ...

From kikinovak
Quote:
And I tell you, you are Patrick, and on this rock-solid distro I will build my desktop,
and Bill Gates of Windows shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18, first draft)
I see you've already numerically structured one namespace (Matthew) on slackdocs. Can we expect a similar structure from other apostles?
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #42
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,141

Rep: Reputation: 523Reputation: 523Reputation: 523Reputation: 523Reputation: 523Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
So you consider OT all that put in evidence the forum
interface bad code. Please, yesterday I've unchecked
in my user preferences the option to receive your messages
in my email, but I've received them anyway, could you
please fix that bug too?

What you've said about pentadactyl is insulting and ignorant
is somebody here to moderate you?
I suggest that you listen to unSpawn. This post is not a smart move in my opinion.
 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #43
eloi
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 195

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 50
Dear @dfwrider

Yes, you got me just in part. I am happy (sincerely)
that you found a place where to do your planting. But
did you see what happened here? Honestly it hurt me
and depress me at the same time.

The desktop computers like you know will disappear (or
will be too expensive). More or late Linux will stop
supporting them in favor of tablets. Everybody is
using now the stupid Apple tablets and movil phones
(or its imitation that run Android). This guys
complaining to me here use them because is what
"everybody does". If you explain them that (following
the KISS principle) it would be better to use the
phone to make calls (do one thing and do it right) and
to sit in front of a desktop machine with the
appropriate screen and a real keyboard at time to read
and post in a forum they will not hear your reasons.
Even after see that doing so my hard wrapped text is
"by far" more readable than the rest in a normal
screen.

You can lose hours giving them one hundred of worthy
of consideration reasons, explaining them why it is
better doing this instead of that. They don't know
about reasons, they don't have a criterion, they don't
have a philosophy, at time to choose they just do what
"everybody does". They could be going in the opposite
direction to what they proclaim to defend but, doing
it all together, they are right :-). Some of them can
say you, "See I am a rebel, I don't use Windows, I
use Slackware", just a black sheep. Even if you, good
intentioned, politely explain them that in that
direction they will be shorn, they will still reproach
you "meeeee meeeee, why aren't you doing the same of
all of us?, meeee meeeee". And, believe me, they will
not forgive you to do something different, they assume
that is your duty do the same. Are they all smoking?,
why aren't you smoking? You are not normal! If they
are crying out "Viva Perón" or "Heil Hittler" or "Hail
Hail Rock and Roll" and see you silent they will
meeeee meeeee forcing you to do the same.

At some point when two or three are "meeeing" the
shepherd appear. The shepherd has no interest in your
reasons neither, his business are the sheep. His job
is to maintain the sheep calm and doing all the same
and going in the same direction. Two thousand years
fable; they are experts in managing the sheep. He
doesn't care if Pentadactil or Orange Juice, if what
you do or say is against the forum popularity you are
OT. The sheep that assume you will be afraid like
them of the shepherd start to "meeee" more loudly
reproaching you "What do you think you are?"

Look, I see you are a bit more optimistic (or less
pessimistic) than me. Enjoy the last years of the
real Unix experience. One day, you will not have
space for your orchard. All will be covered by
cement.

--
Dear @hitest

Thanks for your advice. But, see, I really don't care
about doing a smart move. I am unable to do business
with shepherds or sheep. It's against my nature.
 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
Dear @dfwrider

Yes, you got me just in part. I am happy (sincerely)
that you found a place where to do your planting. But
did you see what happened here? Honestly it hurt me
and depress me at the same time.

The desktop computers like you know will disappear (or
will be too expensive). More or late Linux will stop
supporting them in favor of tablets. Everybody is
using now the stupid Apple tablets and movil phones
(or its imitation that run Android). This guys
complaining to me here use them because is what
"everybody does". If you explain them that (following
the KISS principle) it would be better to use the
phone to make calls (do one thing and do it right) and
to sit in front of a desktop machine with the
appropriate screen and a real keyboard at time to read
and post in a forum they will not hear your reasons.
Even after see that doing so my hard wrapped text is
"by far" more readable than the rest in a normal
screen.

You can lose hours giving them one hundred of worthy
of consideration reasons, explaining them why it is
better doing this instead of that. They don't know
about reasons, they don't have a criterion, they don't
have a philosophy, at time to choose they just do what
"everybody does". They could be going in the opposite
direction to what they proclaim to defend but, doing
it all together, they are right :-). Some of them can
say you, "See I am a rebel, I don't use Windows, I
use Slackware", just a black sheep. Even if you, good
intentioned, politely explain them that in that
direction they will be shorn, they will still reproach
you "meeeee meeeee, why aren't you doing the same of
all of us?, meeee meeeee". And, believe me, they will
not forgive you to do something different, they assume
that is your duty do the same. Are they all smoking?,
why aren't you smoking? You are not normal! If they
are crying out "Viva Perón" or "Heil Hittler" or "Hail
Hail Rock and Roll" and see you silent they will
meeeee meeeee forcing you to do the same.

At some point when two or three are "meeeing" the
shepherd appear. The shepherd has no interest in your
reasons neither, his business are the sheep. His job
is to maintain the sheep calm and doing all the same
and going in the same direction. Two thousand years
fable; they are experts in managing the sheep. He
doesn't care if Pentadactil or Orange Juice, if what
you do or say is against the forum popularity you are
OT. The sheep that assume you will be afraid like
them of the shepherd start to "meeee" more loudly
reproaching you "What do you think you are?"

Look, I see you are a bit more optimistic (or less
pessimistic) than me. Enjoy the last years of the
real Unix experience. One day, you will not have
space for your orchard. All will be covered by
cement.

--
Dear @hitest

Thanks for your advice. But, see, I really don't care
about doing a smart move. I am unable to do business
with shepherds or sheep. It's against my nature.
#rm -rf *eloi*
 
Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,003
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
So you consider OT all that put in evidence the forum interface bad code.
No, we generally consider excursions that do not contribute to, distract from or otherwise derail the main topic as off-topic. This should be obvious from the fact that about 60 per cent of your last posts were moved to this thread. Apart from my warning I hope the fact that only 30 per cent of your last posts remained in the original thread serves as impulse for you to question if you should continue to post in an off-topic thread. I suggest you use your web log instead and to facilitate that I'm closing this thread which no longer serves any true purpose anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
Please, yesterday I've unchecked in my user preferences the option to receive your messages in my email, but I've received them anyway, could you please fix that bug too?
Receiving email from me means it is about the relationship between you and the LQ Community. And you should choose not to shirk addressing that responsibility.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
What you've said about pentadactyl is insulting and ignorant is somebody here to moderate you?
Not exactly "moderate" but yes, Jeremy rulez. It shouldn't detract from you addressing the main issue though.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] slackware and systemd fl0 Slackware 512 08-29-2012 11:07 AM
[SOLVED] systemd and Slackware's future kikinovak Slackware 95 07-14-2012 11:40 AM
Systemd custangro Fedora 2 08-01-2011 07:54 AM
Boot Delay 30min: systemd-analyze blame systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service BGHolmes Fedora 0 07-27-2011 09:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration