LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware 14 with KDE minimal install (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-14-with-kde-minimal-install-4175457523/)

bagginmtdoom 04-09-2013 02:12 PM

Slackware 14 with KDE minimal install
 
Wassup People?

For the past while I have been distro hopping to get a nice bare system. And I have stumbled on Slackware which I pretty much very like. However I can not just get KDE with out all of the unneeded dependencies. I have looked online to find minimal install guides and they also end with the system unable to boot into KDE saying something about a missing dependency. I know that happens when you start to take stuff away and stuff, but I really just want X wifi KDE and what ever Slackware needs to run - no VI, CUPS, or another thing that is unneeded. Just what is needed.

Anyone think that they can help me out?

Woodsman 04-09-2013 02:35 PM

Regarding KDE, there are couple of current threads that might help.

No bells or whistles default KDE profile

Minimal/Base KDE (4.10) Install

Compiling a Minimal KDE4

Can't compile Qt4 when using QT_NO_TOOLTIP

bagginmtdoom 04-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsman (Post 4928359)

Cool, thanks for that. Kde is very heavy on RAM usage, its using around 1.5 Gigs idiling on Chakra Linux and Manjaro.

wildwizard 04-10-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagginmtdoom (Post 4928543)
Cool, thanks for that. Kde is very heavy on RAM usage, its using around 1.5 Gigs idiling on Chakra Linux and Manjaro.

Well that is not Slackware.

Here on slackware64-current with KDE running without apps I get a total system usage of 676MB of RAM.
That includes all the crap that everyone hates (namely akonadi) and I also have named and apcupsd running which not everyone else would have.

bagginmtdoom 04-10-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwizard (Post 4928812)
Well that is not Slackware.

Here on slackware64-current with KDE running without apps I get a total system usage of 676MB of RAM.
That includes all the crap that everyone hates (namely akonadi) and I also have named and apcupsd running which not everyone else would have.

Is that with a full install with all 7+ GB of stuff that it wants to install minus the extra WM'S and KDE apps? If it runs that good I suppose I can run a somewhat bloated Slackware.

The reason I wanted it to be a very basic install was because I only have an old 40GB hard drive laying around, and I do a lot of office work with it, so I don't want to run out of space - I also like minimal RAM usage, hence my tries with Arch and now Slackware.

psionl0 04-10-2013 10:10 AM

With a HD that size you probably don't want KDE. Xfce or Fluxbox would probably be better (but not as fancy). A Slackware installation with everything except KDE and KDEi installed occupies 13GB on my system.

ETA This includes a large number of SlackBuild packages like LibreOffice.

JWJones 04-10-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagginmtdoom (Post 4928543)
Cool, thanks for that. Kde is very heavy on RAM usage, its using around 1.5 Gigs idiling on Chakra Linux and Manjaro.

Holy crap! My 64-bit Slackware (current) KDE 4.10 install, with effects on, but with akonadi off, idled at around 300MB RAM, which was pretty astounding to me. But then, that's one of the many reasons why I like Slackware.

bagginmtdoom 04-10-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 4928978)
With a HD that size you probably don't want KDE. Xfce or Fluxbox would probably be better (but not as fancy). A Slackware installation with everything except KDE and KDEi installed occupies 13GB on my system.

ETA This includes a large number of SlackBuild packages like LibreOffice.

I could use Openbox, it looks decent. I like KDE though because its German :P And the Germans make some very nice stuff.

bagginmtdoom 04-10-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeofliberty (Post 4929006)
Holy crap! My 64-bit Slackware (current) KDE 4.10 install, with effects on, but with akonadi off, idled at around 300MB RAM, which was pretty astounding to me. But then, that's one of the many reasons why I like Slackware.

You must have a beast of a computer. That's without swap?

JWJones 04-11-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagginmtdoom (Post 4929458)
You must have a beast of a computer. That's without swap?

No, a mere ThinkPad T61, no swap. Along with akonadi and nepomuk being turned off, many unnecessary services, too.

psionl0 04-11-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagginmtdoom (Post 4929439)
I could use Openbox, it looks decent.

My experience with openbox was that it didn't handle wbar, conky and fbsetbg together as well as fluxbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagginmtdoom (Post 4929439)
I like KDE though because its German :P And the Germans make some very nice stuff.

"Likes" are for people with sufficient hardware. ;)

bormant 04-11-2013 04:02 PM

Another attempt to slim down KDE: https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...kbench%3Aklyde

Woodsman 04-11-2013 04:32 PM

Yes, we first discussed that effort here.

There is an update about the project here.

bagginmtdoom 04-11-2013 06:31 PM

Just found this, has this worked for anyone? Gonna try it on Sunday

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...inimal_Install

bagginmtdoom 04-11-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bormant (Post 4929945)

I'm going to have to try that once Slackware is installed, seems like a great mod of the DE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.