LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,661
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080Reputation: 1080

Damn it. Just going to work!
 
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #17
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 922

Rep: Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462
Impressive update! I didn't expect last minute support for UEFI in the setup scripts. :-)

Some notes about README_UEFI.txt: Most UEFI machines don't have an "Boot from file" option, they REQUIRE creating a boot menu entry and activating it for booting Slackware, otherwise they just reboot into Windows.

ELILO doesn't have multi-boot options, so I recommend adding http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ to the Slackware directory on the ESP to present the user with a nice menu:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/refind.png

It auto-detects boot loaders from various operating systems, so there is only minimal configuration required. It can chainload ELILO or boot Linux kernels directly.
 
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
Toutatis
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Posts: 64

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
the versions of gnutls are not the same in slackware-current and slackware64-current. is this normal ?
 
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #19
Stuferus
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 144

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
Impressive update! I didn't expect last minute support for UEFI in the setup scripts. :-)

Some notes about README_UEFI.txt: Most UEFI machines don't have an "Boot from file" option, they REQUIRE creating a boot menu entry and activating it for booting Slackware, otherwise they just reboot into Windows.

ELILO doesn't have multi-boot options, so I recommend adding http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ to the Slackware directory on the ESP to present the user with a nice menu:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/refind.png

It auto-detects boot loaders from various operating systems, so there is only minimal configuration required. It can chainload ELILO or boot Linux kernels directly.
or simply dont use that efi stuff and run with legacy bios option..
 
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
lems
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 218

Rep: Reputation: 96
Good news, though with tmux being added, do I need to fear a removal of screen? That would be an inconvenience, as I use it heavily.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #21
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,680

Rep: Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067Reputation: 1067
if can be useful to people starting with tmux now that is included by default, this is the ~/.tmux.conf I'm using here to emulate screen keys ("ctrl-a a" to go at the beginning of the line included)
Code:
set -g prefix C-a
bind a send-prefix
then I have a bunch of other options in the same file
Code:
setw -g mode-keys vi

set -g status-bg black
set -g status-fg yellow
set -g status-left '#[fg=cyan]#H'

set-window-option -g window-status-current-bg red

set -g status-right '#[fg=gray90]#(uptime | cut -d "," -f 1,2,4)'

setw -g monitor-activity on
set -g visual-activity on

set -g utf8 on
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 5,499

Rep: Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530
makebootdisk is still in slackware{,64}-current/source/a/pkgtools. Maybe put it in ../obsolete-scripts alongside setup.90.modem-device?
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS
Posts: 2,414

Rep: Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
makebootdisk is still in slackware{,64}-current/source/a/pkgtools. Maybe put it in ../obsolete-scripts alongside setup.90.modem-device?
Further down in today's ChangeLog:

Code:
a/pkgtools-14.1-noarch-2.tgz:  Rebuilt.
  Removed obsolete makebootdisk script.
  Added an /sbin/makebootstick symlink for making a USB boot stick.
Cheers,

Niki
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
lems
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 218

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
if can be useful to people starting with tmux now that is included by default, this is the ~/.tmux.conf I'm using here to emulate screen keys ("ctrl-a a" to go at the beginning of the line included)
Code:
set -g prefix C-a
bind a send-prefix
then I have a bunch of other options in the same file
Code:
setw -g mode-keys vi

set -g status-bg black
set -g status-fg yellow
set -g status-left '#[fg=cyan]#H'

set-window-option -g window-status-current-bg red

set -g status-right '#[fg=gray90]#(uptime | cut -d "," -f 1,2,4)'

setw -g monitor-activity on
set -g visual-activity on

set -g utf8 on
Thanks, that's useful. I've played with tmux on an OpenBSD system, where it's in base. By the way, for those who don't know, there is also a screen-like config file that comes with tmux, it's /usr/doc/tmux-1.8/examples/screen-keys.conf.

Edit:

Here is my .tmux.conf that is based on Han Boetes’ config from the examples/ directory, it uses ^t, ^tt switches back to the last window. (I needed to set TERM as my tcsh used dumb terminal settings with $TERM being screen.)

Code:
set -g status-bg white
set -g status-fg black
set-window-option -g window-status-current-bg black
set-window-option -g window-status-current-fg white

set -g default-terminal "xterm-color"

unbind C-b
set -g prefix C-t
bind C-t send-prefix
bind t send-prefix

bind ^T last-window

Last edited by lems; 10-16-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added my .tmux.conf
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 5,499

Rep: Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Further down in today's ChangeLog:

Code:
a/pkgtools-14.1-noarch-2.tgz:  Rebuilt.
  Removed obsolete makebootdisk script.
  Added an /sbin/makebootstick symlink for making a USB boot stick.
Yes, Nicolas, but in the SlackBuild we see
Code:
  # Add a link for makebootstick:
  ( cd $PKG/sbin ; ln -sf ../var/log/setup/setup.80.make-bootdisk makebootstick )
Despite its name, setup.80.make-bootdisk makes an USB boot stick (that can now install an elilo bootloader on x86_64), not a boot disk

EDIT Maybe I was not clear enough. I meant that as makebootdisk is not installed anymore, it could be moved in ../obsolete-scripts in the source package.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 10-15-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: EDIT added
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Just upgraded my server (which is also used to build MATE packages) and all is well. I am stoked to see tmux added -- I use it all the time on my OpenBSD machines and love it. Thanks, Patrick and team!
 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
NoStressHQ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Lausanne - Switzerland ( Bordeaux - France / Montreal - QC - Canada)
Distribution: Slackware Leet - 32/64bit
Posts: 351

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuferus View Post
or simply dont use that efi stuff and run with legacy bios option..
Do you know about GPT ? Sometimes there's no "simply"...
 
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 16,511
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStressHQ View Post
Do you know about GPT ? Sometimes there's no "simply"...
Linux can make use of GPT without having to use UEFI. Even Windows (in the server version) can do that .
 
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
e5150
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 84

Rep: Reputation: 50
Looks like iproute2 needs a recompile against the new iptables (/usr/lib64/tc/m_xt.so wants libxtables.so.9, but iptables has /usr/lib64/libxtables.so.10.0.0).
 
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 2,714
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 238Reputation: 238Reputation: 238
package pango-1.34.1-i486-1.txz 14.1 rc and the old link libpangox-1.0.so.0 from pkg pango-1.30.1-i486-1.txz 14.0 missing so many media programs webkit etc will crash. so I had to link libpangox-1.0.so.0 to libpangoxft-1.0.so.0.3400.1
all is well. it is also missing in multilib.
also to build the nvidia proprietary driver must use latest driver.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please test Slackware 14 release candidate 4 Didier Spaier Slackware 1 08-31-2012 02:59 PM
LXer: First release candidate for Slackware 14 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-13-2012 11:10 AM
Slackware 13, Release Candidate 2. cwizardone Slackware 17 08-07-2009 01:33 AM
LXer: Slackware 12.0 release candidate 1 is out. LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-16-2007 11:31 AM
LXer: Slackware 11.0 release candidate 4 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-03-2006 08:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration