LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware-13.37 vs Slackware-14 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-37-vs-slackware-14-a-4175467574/)

rng 06-27-2013 07:13 AM

Slackware-13.37 vs Slackware-14
 
I recently installed slackware-14 and it is working very well. However, on searching for applications in pkgs.org, I find that there are many more applications for slackware-13.37. The install dvd of 13.37 is also larger than that of slackware-14 (approx. 4.2 vs 2.4 gb). Will it be easier to use slackware-13.37 for the sake of availability of applications? Are there any major disadvantages of slackware-13.37 at this time?

WhiteWolf1776 06-27-2013 07:33 AM

I didn't really notice slackware 14 missing any apps when I upgraded from 13.37... The biggest thing to remember is slackbuilds.org only makes scripts for the latest release of slackware... so new software like libreoffice, etc... you need 14 unless you want to just hack the scripts yourself.

hitest 06-27-2013 07:50 AM

I did not notice a difference in package availability between 13.37 and 14.0. The slackbuilds.org site is excellent for packages as are Robby and Eric's sites (linked in my signature). Both 13.37 and 14.0 will be supported with security updates for a good while. Use the release that meets your needs. I am looking forward to the release of 14.1. Slackware-current is amazing right now. :)

rng 06-27-2013 08:15 AM

The binary packages are probably less with version 14. The site http://pkgs.org/ finds following packages only in slackware-13.37 and not in slackware-14 :

alien
slapt-get
gslapt
abiword
libreoffice

Slackpkg on slackware-14 installation also does not find them on 'search' command.
All of them, I think, would be available in slackbuilds.org

Edit: slapt-get and gslapt are not available even on slackbuilds.org for slackware-14

kikinovak 06-27-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf1776 (Post 4979553)
The biggest thing to remember is slackbuilds.org only makes scripts for the latest release of slackware...

Return to SlackBuilds.org and notice the little dropdown menu in the Search field for past Slackware versions.

On the other hand, latest scripts are only for latest Slackware.

WhiteWolf1776 06-27-2013 08:26 AM

libreoffice has never been part of official slackware... but is avaliable from alienBob's repo's and slackbuilds.org.

I can't speak for slapt-get, etc as I switched to slackpkg (included in stock slackware) and the sbo tools some time back.

Alien Bob 06-27-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rng (Post 4979576)
The binary packages are probably less with version 14.

Code:

$ find slackware-13.37/slackware -type f -name "*.t?z" | wc -l
1018
$ find slackware-14.0/slackware -type f -name "*.t?z" | wc -l
1151

How is 1151 less than 1018 ???

Quote:

The site http://pkgs.org/ finds following packages only in slackware-13.37 and not in slackware-14 :
alien
slapt-get
gslapt
abiword
libreoffice
That web site sucks. It is not related to or affiliated with Slackware. It should fix its database of Slackware packages. Perhaps http://slackfind.net/en/ will work better for you.

Quote:

Slackpkg on slackware-14 installation also does not find them on 'search' command.
All of them, I think, would be available in slackbuilds.org
Slackpkg tool works only for the official Slackware packages. It will not find packages in any of those other repositories. And slackbuilds.org does not host packages at all.

Quote:

Edit: slapt-get and gslapt are not available even on slackbuilds.org for slackware-14
Get the package from the developer himself: http://software.jaos.org/ ... you will not find sbopkg on slackbuilds.org either - get that one from de developer too: http://sbopkg.org/ . The slackbuilds.org site only offers build scripts, not packages.

Eric

rng 06-27-2013 09:17 AM

@Alien Bob: Many thanks for your detailed explanation. I want to use Slackware-14 more but I want to install binary packages and I want to get dependencies to be resolved quickly. As you say, http://slackfind.net/en/ is better site to find them. Can I point slackpkg to this site? (Apologies if this is a stupid question). I want to use 'slackpkg search' command to find which packages have dependencies which I may need.

willysr 06-27-2013 09:22 AM

slackpkg only works for official repository

kikinovak 06-27-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 4979610)
slackpkg only works for official repository

http://www.slakfinder.org/slackpkg+.html

I'm using it for managing my own MLED and MLES repositories. Works great.

kikinovak 06-27-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rng (Post 4979605)
@Alien Bob: Many thanks for your detailed explanation. I want to use Slackware-14 more but I want to install binary packages and I want to get dependencies to be resolved quickly. As you say, http://slackfind.net/en/ is better site to find them. Can I point slackpkg to this site? (Apologies if this is a stupid question). I want to use 'slackpkg search' command to find which packages have dependencies which I may need.

Not that I want to drive you away, but you may want to give Salix a spin. This Slackware spin-off describes itself as "Slackware for the lazy Slacker" and probably offers all you need, even automagic dependency resolution.

Alternatively, you may want to try my own add-on project:

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/

Philip Lacroix 06-27-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rng (Post 4979605)
As you say, http://slackfind.net/en/ is better site to find them. Can I point slackpkg to this site? (Apologies if this is a stupid question). I want to use 'slackpkg search' command to find which packages have dependencies which I may need.

As others wrote, slackpkg works with the official Slackware repositories only. However, like kikinovak I'm using the slackpkg+ plugin, a great project: this is a non-invasive software which allows you to handle third-party repositories the slack way, using slackpkg (no dependency management, complete control). If you are not comfortable with the Slackware approach and are looking for automatic dependency resolution you might want to consider some derivative project, however I wouldn't give up too quickly: in fact, once you have figured out how to manage dependencies yourself (this is not that difficult) you'll appreciate the freedom this gives you, allowing to follow your own path when needed.

Regarding 'slackpkg search <pattern>', this will show you if matching packages are available and if they are installed. It will not show you dependencies (see 'man slackpkg').

Philip

rng 06-27-2013 11:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I tried salixos but had 2 problems. It would occassionally hang, which is now unacceptable. Also, there was a problem in having write access to ntfs partitions.

Regarding 'slackpkg search <pattern>', I can get missing libraries using ldd command and then use 'slackpkg search lib-file-name' for packages having these files so that I can install those packages. I believe slackpkg searches for *FILES* in packages.

I am reading about other approaches mentioned above. I really wish there was an LXDE version of Slackware-14.

DrCube 06-27-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rng (Post 4979686)
I really wish there was an LXDE version of Slackware-14.

There is: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...p/lxde-common/

As far as searching for packages, and hunting down dependencies, I use sbopkg.

http://sbopkg.org/

Philip Lacroix 06-27-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rng (Post 4979686)
Regarding 'slackpkg search <pattern>', I can get missing libraries using ldd command and then use 'slackpkg search lib-file-name' for packages having these files so that I can install those packages. I believe slackpkg searches for *FILES* in packages.

Code:

slackpkg file-search filename


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.