LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware 13.37 Packages on Slackware Current (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-37-packages-on-slackware-current-4175426374/)

Dornith 09-09-2012 11:08 AM

Slackware 13.37 Packages on Slackware Current
 
I just found Inkscape on pkgs.org and remembered that was on my list of things to install. But, I'm currently using Slackware 14, which they don't have a section for. So how different are the packages for 13.37 and 14? Could I just use the 13.37 package on this system, or can I change the Slackbuild to make it work?

hitest 09-09-2012 11:14 AM

Many times older packages will work on Slackware 14.0. Try it it out and see what happens. Yes. You can modify a Slackbuild to make it work. Sometimes, however, you will need to compile/install a newer package.

Dornith 09-09-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitest (Post 4776181)
Many times older packages will work on Slackware 14.0. Try it it out and see what happens. Yes. You can modify a Slackbuild to make it work. Sometimes, however, you will need to compile/install a newer package.

Okay, I installed the package and it went with no errors, but then when I opened it, it just loaded for a while and then stopped.

hitest 09-09-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dornith (Post 4776182)
Okay, I installed the package and it went with no errors, but then when I opened it, it just loaded for a while and then stopped.

I had a similar experience with claws-mail. I had a claws-mail-3.8.0 package that I attempted to install on Slackware 14.0; it behaved as you describe. I had to compile the newer claws-mail-3.8.1. Perhaps try a newer package. It sounds as if your package is not compatible with 14.0 (there may also be dependency issues).

Franklin 09-09-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dornith (Post 4776182)
Okay, I installed the package and it went with no errors, but then when I opened it, it just loaded for a while and then stopped.

It's possible you're missing a dependency. Packages compiled by others on non-clean systems may have dependencies that are missing from your system.

Run the following command to get the path

Code:

which inkscape
then

Code:

ldd /path/to/inkscape
to list required libraries. Anything missing will be listed as such. You could also run inkscape from the command line, but I believe this will only list the first missing library as the error, and there might be more than one.

Hope this helps.

Dornith 09-09-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 4776206)
It's possible you're missing a dependency. Packages compiled by others on non-clean systems may have dependencies that are missing from your system.

Run the following command to get the path

Code:

which inkscape
then

Code:

ldd /path/to/inkscape
to list required libraries. Anything missing will be listed as such. You could also run inkscape from the command line, but I believe this will only list the first missing library as the error, and there might be more than one.

Hope this helps.

Okay, I ran it and found these 'Not Found':
Code:

libgtkmm-2.4.so.1
libatkmm-1.6.so.1
libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
libgiomm-2.4.so.1
libpangomm-1.4.so.1
libglibmm-2.4.so.1
libcairomm-1.0.so.1
libsigc-2.0.so.0
libgsl.so.0
libgslcblas.so.0

It seems like a lot of these have almost identical names so I'm guessing I only need a few things, but does anyone know where I can find them?

Franklin 09-09-2012 12:32 PM

I use slackbuilds.org and build them myself.

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...hics/inkscape/

Quote:

Inkscape requires gc, gsl, and gtkmm
Note that these also have dependencies. Looks like you're missing gtkmm (and it's several dependencies) as well as gsl.
You might look in the same place you got inkscape for these additional packages.

I would strongly suggest learning how to use slackbuilds.org and sbopkg.

Dornith 09-09-2012 12:58 PM

Okay, since all the dependencies seem to be a giant pain to try and install, I think I'll hold on adding Inkscape for now. But thanks for answering my original question.

Franklin 09-09-2012 02:32 PM

Probably just as well. Tried to build glibmm on -current just now using the 13.37 slackbuild.org script and it failed. Once 14 is released, the slackbuilds.org scripts will get updated by their maintainers - a process that is likely taking place as we speak.

glorsplitz 09-09-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 4776284)
Probably just as well. Tried to build glibmm on -current just now using the 13.37 slackbuild.org script and it failed. Once 14 is released, the slackbuilds.org scripts will get updated by their maintainers - a process that is likely taking place as we speak.

That's good to hear that the slackbuilds will be updated.

I just fought with mysql-workbench-gpl, glibmm was one of the dependencies I got from Alien Bob's slackbuilds couple others too, most were from plain old slackbuilds.

I did mysql-workbench-gpl working after a little of this and that.

Looking forward to next Slackware release!

cheers!

hitest 09-09-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glorsplitz (Post 4776353)
Looking forward to next Slackware release!

Amen to that. :)

Didier Spaier 09-09-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dornith (Post 4776245)
Okay, since all the dependencies seem to be a giant pain to try and install, I think I'll hold on adding Inkscape for now. But thanks for answering my original question.

In such a case, I use sbopkg plus queue files to take care of the dependencies see http://sbopkg.org. To install inkscape in Slackare-13.37 for instance just did this:
Code:

sbopkg -i -k inkscape
and when asked, chose to use the queue, so that its dependencies be built and installed before inkscape.

ihermit 01-25-2013 06:48 PM

First off, I know this post says solved, but here's a complete run down for the public domain. It took me about 4 hours to do, but I did it. Now I’m going to try and remember how I did it so hopefully it wont take you 4 hours. Or me the next time I install Inkscape.

Inkscape has one of the largest dependencies I’ve ever seen. You’re main dependencies are : gc, gsl, gtkmm. lxml and numpy are optional, but so easy to install, you might as well just for the extra functionality.

Install in this order, via sbopkg:
1.) gc -- “select the package that says: development/gc”
2.) gsl

Next see if you have pangomm installed by cd’ing into the /usr/lib directory and running:
Code:

find pango
If nothing shows up then we need to install it. And it has a few dependencies as well. Install packages in this order from sbopkg:
3.) libsigc++
4.) glibmm -- takes care of goimm-2.4
5.) cairomm
6.) pangomm

Now install the optional packages:
7.) lxml
8.) numpy

The next one is where everybody seems to be tripping up. Myself included: ‘gtkmm’. sbopkg has the packages, *but* the two gtkmm packages it has are wrong. One is gtkmm-2.1 and the other is gtkmm-3.0. Inkscape needs between gtkmm-2.4 and gtkmm-2.10. It kinda’ makes you feel like Goldie Locks. The good news is SlackBuilds.org has the package here: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/libraries/gtkmm/. You’re going to need to install it as you would any other slackbuild. But first, it has a dependency as well that you can get from sbopkg:
9.)atkmm

Howto Build SlackBuild Package:
Code:

wget http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/gtkmm/2.24/gtkmm-2.24.2.tar.bz2
wget http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.0/libraries/gtkmm.tar.gz
tar -zxvf  gtkmm.tar.gz
chmod +x gtkmm.SlackBuild
./gtkmm.SlackBuild
su -c “installpkg /tmp/whereEver/it_says/at/the_end”

Once gtkmm-2.4 is installed, go back to sbopkg and install inkscape. It’s going to take awhile, so as Gn’R says, “need a lil’ patience”.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.