LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-37-k3b-can-not-find-cdrecord-4175423943/)

zeelog 08-25-2012 09:05 AM

Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord
 
I'm trying to burn a dvd using k3b in Slackware 13.37
k3b give me an error message:
Unable to find cdrecord executable. k3b uses cdrecord to
actually write CDs.
Solution: Install the cdrtools package which contains
cdrecord.

I found under ap in the Slackware 13.37 DVD
slackware64/ap/cdrtools-3.01a02-x86_64-1.txz
But there should be no need to installpkg this file
because cdrecord is already in /usr/bin
It acts weird though:
bash-4.1# cd /usr/bin
bash-4.1# ls -l cdrecord
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 470552 Dec 21 2010 cdrecord
bash-4.1# cdrecord -version
bash: /usr/bin/cdrecord: cannot execute binary file
bash-4.1# cdrecord -help
bash: /usr/bin/cdrecord: cannot execute binary file
bash-4.1#
It wont give its version number and wont give
me any help. Maybe that's why k3b can not "find" it ?
Should I write over it with installpkg or zap it first
with removepkg ? Or is there a simpler, less risky
method of getting /usr/bin/cdrecord to work with k3b ?

414N 08-25-2012 09:15 AM

Code:

slackpkg reinstall cdrecord
takes out the installpkg/removepkg burden ;)

T3slider 08-25-2012 12:11 PM

Did you install a 64-bit package in 32-bit Slackware (or vice versa)?

zeelog 09-03-2012 10:18 AM

Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord
 
I'm getting no where with this problem.
root@ed:/usr/sbin# slackpkg upgrade cdrecord

Checking local integrity... DONE
Looking for cdrecord in package list. Please wait... DONE

No packages match the pattern for upgrade. Try:

/usr/sbin/slackpkg install|reinstall


root@ed:/usr/sbin# slackpkg install cdrecord

Looking for cdrecord in package list. Please wait... DONE

No packages match the pattern for install. Try:

/usr/sbin/slackpkg reinstall|upgrade

So much for slackpkg
I ran upgradepkg cdrtools-3.01a02-x86_64-1.txz
It looked good. No error messages.
bash-4.1# cd /usr/bin
bash-4.1# ls -l cdrecord
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 470552 Dec 21 2010 cdrecord
bash-4.1# cdrecord -v
bash: /usr/bin/cdrecord: cannot execute binary file
bash-4.1# whoami
root
bash-4.1#
But even as root I can't get cdrecord to tell it's version.
k3b still can not "find" cdrecord, so it can't do anything useful.
So, what can I do when the package tools don't seem to do anything ?
I am running 64 bit Slackware 13.37 and the cdrtools package is from
the Slackware 46 bit 13.37 DVD. So everything should be 64 bit.
Doesn't help much.
Anybody got any ideas ?

414N 09-03-2012 10:25 AM

Code:

uname -a
?

BCarey 09-04-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeelog (Post 4771506)
I'm getting no where with this problem.
root@ed:/usr/sbin# slackpkg upgrade cdrecord

Checking local integrity... DONE
Looking for cdrecord in package list. Please wait... DONE

No packages match the pattern for upgrade. Try:

/usr/sbin/slackpkg install|reinstall


root@ed:/usr/sbin# slackpkg install cdrecord

Looking for cdrecord in package list. Please wait... DONE

No packages match the pattern for install. Try:

/usr/sbin/slackpkg reinstall|upgrade

So much for slackpkg
I ran upgradepkg cdrtools-3.01a02-x86_64-1.txz
It looked good. No error messages.
bash-4.1# cd /usr/bin
bash-4.1# ls -l cdrecord
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 470552 Dec 21 2010 cdrecord
bash-4.1# cdrecord -v
bash: /usr/bin/cdrecord: cannot execute binary file
bash-4.1# whoami
root
bash-4.1#
But even as root I can't get cdrecord to tell it's version.
k3b still can not "find" cdrecord, so it can't do anything useful.
So, what can I do when the package tools don't seem to do anything ?
I am running 64 bit Slackware 13.37 and the cdrtools package is from
the Slackware 46 bit 13.37 DVD. So everything should be 64 bit.
Doesn't help much.
Anybody got any ideas ?

Slackpkg does not help because you are trying to install a package called cdrecord which does not exist. The package you should reinstall is cdrtools. You should reinstall it, not install or upgrade.

Brian

zeelog 09-06-2012 10:29 AM

Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord
 
Well, things just keep getting better...
I suspected my original k3b installation might have been flawed somehow,
so I removed it; removepkg k3b-2.0.2-x86_64-2.txz
That worked. Then I downloaded a copy of k3b from the Slackware site.
It installed just fine, but won't start from KDE-MULTIMEDIA
I couldn't figure out why and somebody suggested I was using a 32-bit OS
and k3b-2.0.2-x86_64-2.txz is a 64-bit app. Well, maybe ? Maybe not ?
So I decided to remove k3b and install a 32-bit version, just to see
if it would work. But now I got this:
bash-4.1# removepkg -warn k3b-2.0.2-x86_64-2.txz
Only warning... not actually removing any files.
Here's what would be removed (and left behind) if you
removed the package(s):

ls: cannot access /var/log/packages/k3b-2.0.2-x86_64-2**: No such file or directory
No such package: /var/log/packages/k3b-2.0.2-x86_64-2*. Can't remove.
bash-4.1#
bash-4.1# uname -a
Linux ed 2.6.37.6-smp #2 SMP Sat Apr 9 23:39:07 CDT 2011 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
bash-4.1#
Duh...Doesn't look good does it.

414N 09-06-2012 10:39 AM

This confirms you're running a 32 bit kernel, so every 64-bit program you'll try to run won't work.
Make sure your mirror in /etc/slackpkg/mirrors points to a 32 bit Slackware mirror (no Slackware64 in URL) and try reinstalling k3b and cdrtools with slackpkg:
Code:

slackpkg update
slackpkg reinstall k3b cdrtools

To check if you've installed other 64 bit packages, you can use
Code:

ls /var/log/packages/*x86_64*
I guess it would be better if you reinstall all those packages too with slackpkg or from the Slackware (32 bit) DVD...

comet.berkeley 09-06-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T3slider (Post 4764036)
Did you install a 64-bit package in 32-bit Slackware?

T3slider hit the problem on the nose.

Unfortunately the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Slackware do not readily mix. (Though Alien Bob has figured out a way to mix them...)

To quickly fix the problem and stabilize the system then follow the advice from 414N and make sure that all packages are 32 bit in /var/log/packages. 32 bit packages have "i486" in their names.

But the CPU certainly could run Slackware64 the 64-bit version:

http://ark.intel.com/products/36547/...333-MHz-FSB%29

zeelog 09-07-2012 09:31 AM

Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord
 
bash-4.1# ls /var/log/packages/*x86_64*
/var/log/packages/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/aubio-devel-0.3.2-9.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/boost-devel-1.44.0-8.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/cdrtools-3.01a02-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/jack-audio-connection-kit-devel-1.9.7-2.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libgnomecanvas-devel-2.30.2-1.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/liblrdf-devel-0.4.0-16.fc12.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libsamplerate-devel-0.1.7-2.fc12.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libsndfile-1.0.24-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/libusb-devel-0.1.12-23.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libxslt-devel-1.1.26-3.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/slv2-devel-0.6.6-5.fc14.x86_64
bash-4.1#
It's good to know what the problem is. Thanks for figuring it out.
But I've no idea how, by downloading a 4.3 Gig file called
slackware64-13.37-install-dvd.iso from a mirror,
And installing this file, I ended up with a 32-bit OS.
I've look into the DVD and all the apps claim to be 64-bit.
I don't understand this at all. There is only one kernel on it,
the huge.s, so how could the "wrong" kernel have been installed ?
Weird.
Anyway, I'll replace the above files with 32-bit from the internet.
and see what happens. Thanks again for your help !

414N 09-07-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeelog (Post 4775014)
Code:

bash-4.1# ls /var/log/packages/*x86_64*
/var/log/packages/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/aubio-devel-0.3.2-9.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/boost-devel-1.44.0-8.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/cdrtools-3.01a02-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/jack-audio-connection-kit-devel-1.9.7-2.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libgnomecanvas-devel-2.30.2-1.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/liblrdf-devel-0.4.0-16.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libsamplerate-devel-0.1.7-2.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libsndfile-1.0.24-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/libusb-devel-0.1.12-23.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/libxslt-devel-1.1.26-3.fc14.x86_64
/var/log/packages/slv2-devel-0.6.6-5.fc14.x86_64
bash-4.1#


I smell something even fishier going on here...
Have you converted some 64 bit fedora core packages to tgz/txz and installed them, too?
Slackware has no -dev or -devel packages because header files are not removed from packages.
Are you, perhaps, dual booting with some fedora version?

onebuck 09-07-2012 11:52 AM

Member Response
 
Hi,

Below are links to torrent downloads for Slackware 13.37 x86_32 & Slackware 13.37 x86_64;
Slackware 13.37 x86 DVD ISO <- (everything)]

Slackware 13.37 x86_64 DVD ISO <- (everything)

Please pick the one for your system. Be sure to burn the ISO image!

zeelog 09-09-2012 02:56 PM

Slackware 13.37 k3b can not find cdrecord
 
k3b now works fine. burn an audio and an iso file. Both turned out fine.
So the problem is solved, but it was bad news hearing I have a 32-bit OS.
Don't have time to do anything about it for a month or more.
Thank you all for your help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.