[SOLVED] Slackware 13.1: Firefox 3.6.6 not opening, no terminal info output.
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
shadowsnipes, I've just downgraded to mozilla-firefox-3.6.3-i686-1 and still all the same. I think there's no doubt that the problem is in here, on some point in my install. When I opened firefox script for edition, it just calls run-mozilla.sh to run firefox-bin (a long run, huh?), but when I tried to edit run-mozilla.sh my eyes just got hazed.
I don't know what I'm up against here. So I'll think about it.
Yes. cpio is one I never thought I'd need, until some things stopped working mysteriously... much the same as you're experiencing now.
I don't know what is actually causing your problem, but since the A series contains the base install, I think it's good practise to install everything from that series before trying to debug anything else.
Most of the other software packages rely on stuff in the A series, so I wouldn't go cherry-picking there. I would install the whole lot.
Since storage is cheaper than ever, (like AUD $100 per terabyte), there is no real reason to not run a complete installation of Slackware anyway. I'll guarantee that this problem will stop happening if you do that. You might not want to install all of the KDE language packs, but they don't influence anything else anyway.
To justify some of them: I'm in a Dell Inspiron 1525 (no floppy), and I compile the kernels myself. I have only use for ext4 (since all my partitions are formatted as so). It's a stand alone system, which means I only got one user and direct access to the internet (no LAN). This is a non-raid system, the only 120GiB HDD is partitioned as /, /home and swap. My text editors by choice are ViM and Kwrite, and my only daily-use shell is BASH. I only use Lilo as a boot loader, and I only made use of ACPI, not APM, as suggested.
Hmm... Some time ago, I was playing with the betas of firefox (self-compiled builds from mozilla's hg repository) and there was some similiar problems. The problems are involved with the Cairo and GTK+2 engines. Please, check them out.
Well, all You may do, is to build ff from sources :/ I don't know, what is wrong and I can't help You This is specific to Your system only problem and You need to solve them by Yourself...
Since the existance of this problem, You may use the Opera browser, or Konqueror instead So, You never stay without any browser...
rfernandez, other than KDE you should at least have twm (a very basic wm) which comes with the X package. You can use xwmconfig to choose the default window manager and then do startx from runlevel 3. I suggest that you try this under twm just to make sure that the problem is not caused by some interference from KDE.