LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware 13.0 RC1 unconfirmed bugs (32-bit)? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-0-rc1-unconfirmed-bugs-32-bit-739367/)

Andy Alkaline 07-11-2009 07:16 AM

Slackware 13.0 RC1 unconfirmed bugs (32-bit)?
 
Can anyone confirm if these are bugs or not? I don't know how to report bugs to the Slackware project but I tried the info address on the Slackware.com contact page. All emails bounced back "unknown user"

Quote:

I installed -current on July 3, 2009

Unconfirmed bug?

the module psmouse loaded automatically during boot, but not sermouse (I only had one two-button serial mouse hooked up to com1

mouse cursor/movement on console using gpm, but not X/KDM. There, it only showed the cursor, but couldn't get movement. I changed protocol from Auto to Microsoft but it had no effect.
Quote:

No mouse cursor showing when connecting with krdc to krfb. Buttons would highlight to indicate where the mouse would be if the pointer was visible.

The mouse pointer is visible when connecting with vncviewer to krfb

connecting with krdc from my Slackware 12.2 install to krfb on -current works normally.
Quote:

When starting the xfce4 window manager, the startup tips box is empty.
Quote:

The mkrescue program in the lilo package returns this:

~# mkrescue

Insert a blank floppy into /dev/fd0
All information on this floppy will be destroyed
Press [Enter] to proceed, ^C to abort

Formatting /dev/fd0 with ext2 filesystem...
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 1.47959 s, 0.3 kB/s
done.

Copying files...
`/boot/vmlinuz' -> `/tmp/mkrescue_14511/mkrescue-flp/linux'
cp: writing `/tmp/mkrescue_14511/mkrescue-flp/linux': No space left on device
done.

Running /sbin/lilo ...
map_insert_data: map write: No space left on device
LILO version 22.8 failure.
Quote:

mkrescue with the --iso long options returns this:

mkrescue --iso
2880+0 records in
2880+0 records out
2949120 bytes (2.9 MB) copied, 0.0478443 s, 61.6 MB/s
Making filesystem
mke2fs 1.41.6 (30-May-2009)
/tmp/mkrescue_14646/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
24 inodes, 2880 blocks
144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=3145728
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
24 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 32 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Mounting filesystem
Copying files...
`/boot/vmlinuz' -> `/tmp/mkrescue_14646/mkrescue-flp/linux'
done.

Running /sbin/lilo ...
Warning: Ignoring entry 'boot'
Fatal: '/dev/' is not a whole disk device
LILO version 22.8 failure.

Bruce Hill 07-11-2009 07:43 AM

If you read root's mail you should find Pat's email address.

volkerdi 07-11-2009 01:06 PM

On that first issue, you'll need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to uncomment the line that loads sermouse. There's no way for udev to probe for that device.

No idea about kdrc. Perhaps it is a Qt issue... I'll be updating the qt-copy snapsnot again soon, and maybe it will help.

Making a LILO floppy with mkrescue isn't going to work if the kernel is larger than 1.44MB. Looks like there is probably some issue with the --iso option, too, as glancing at the output you got I can spot it trying to find the mount point for the volume at /tmp/mkrescue_14646/mkrescue-emu (and failing), and then later at /tmp/mkrescue_14646/mkrescue-flp. This latter one would appear to be an upstream bug. For making a rescue boot disc or device, you might have better luck using the /isolinux and /kernels directories from Slackware, and modifying the isolinux.cfg to boot the kernel of your choice (burn instructions are in the README in /isolinux). Alternatively, the usbbot.img could be mounted and modified to boot a custom kernel with your choice of options from a USB stick.

Take care,

Pat

Andy Alkaline 07-11-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 3604471)
On that first issue, you'll need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to uncomment the line that loads sermouse. There's no way for udev to probe for that device.

Okay. And I wasn't clear, but at the time when I couldn't get my pointer to work in X (visible but no movement), I had already manually loaded sermouse.

Apparently though it looks like sermouse isn't required anyway, though I'm sure that's not news to you :) ; I just looked at my 12.2 box that has the serial mouse attached now and see sermouse doesn't show up in the lsmod list. Pointer's working fine on that one.

I've attached my USB optical wheel mouse to my -current system and all is well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 3604471)
...device, you might have better luck using the /isolinux and /kernels directories from Slackware, and modifying the isolinux.cfg to boot the kernel of your choice (burn instructions are in the README in /isolinux).

I like this option, thanks, Pat.

titopoquito 07-11-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Alkaline (Post 3604207)
When starting the xfce4 window manager, the startup tips box is empty.

This can occur for example if you don't have the package "bsd-games" installed. I think this feature uses "fortune".

Andy Alkaline 07-11-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titopoquito (Post 3604707)
This can occur for example if you don't have the package "bsd-games" installed. I think this feature uses "fortune".

I see two options for the startup tips, one to show tips and one for fortunes.

Thanks for pointing out that possibility though; I generally leave all the base packages in place but do usually remove bsdgames, and have already removed it on 13.0RC1

So now I've reinstalled bsd-games and the tips and tricks are showing.

I must be more careful with my "bug" reporting in the future.

Andy Alkaline 07-29-2009 10:08 AM

expect, cryptdir
 
This is regarding the cryptdir program in the expect package.

After the two password prompts, I get the message "segmentation fault" and nothing is encrypted.

Looking through Google I found a forum post from 2007 where someone says that cryptdir hasn't worked on Slackware since 2000. Another user replied that a program called "crypt" is required for cryptdir to work, and noted that it doesn't come with Slackware except for a C language function. The question is then asked, "Is this a case of roll your own or do without?"
Cryptdir doesn't work

shotwellj 07-30-2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titopoquito (Post 3604707)
This can occur for example if you don't have the package "bsd-games" installed. I think this feature uses "fortune".

Fortune is useful? Holy crap.

Andy Alkaline 08-27-2009 04:15 PM

sshd, wicd startup order
 
I'm updated to -current as of writing this:

In my sshd_config, I have sshd bound to my LAN IP, but since sshd tries to start before I have that LAN IP (i.e., by default, wicd starts after sshd), the ssh daemon simply exits and leaves no sshd processes running.

rworkman 08-27-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Alkaline (Post 3624328)
This is regarding the cryptdir program in the expect package.

After the two password prompts, I get the message "segmentation fault" and nothing is encrypted.

Looking through Google I found a forum post from 2007 where someone says that cryptdir hasn't worked on Slackware since 2000. Another user replied that a program called "crypt" is required for cryptdir to work, and noted that it doesn't come with Slackware except for a C language function. The question is then asked, "Is this a case of roll your own or do without?"
Cryptdir doesn't work

Ping me about this after 13.0 releases and I'll make a note to see what it would take to fix up.

rworkman 08-27-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Alkaline (Post 3659997)
I'm updated to -current as of writing this:

In my sshd_config, I have sshd bound to my LAN IP, but since sshd tries to start before I have that LAN IP (i.e., by default, wicd starts after sshd), the ssh daemon simply exits and leaves no sshd processes running.

Yeah, that's an issue for sure. So long as you don't have /usr mounted on a network partition (and you almost surely don't, based on this post), you can move the wicd startup to an earlier point in boot. That's on my "sooner or later" TODO-I_HOPE list :)

allend 08-28-2009 12:44 AM

An alternative would be to use a post connection script in wicd to restart sshd once a connection is established. ( I already do this to rerun my firewall script).

ozeax 09-28-2009 07:46 AM

One solution...
 
Hi,

About serial mouse, see one solution in http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...are-13-757321/

Cya,

ozeax


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.