SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've run into a problem with KDE on one of my computers.
Last night I started kbounce and my screen suddenly went nearly blank except for some vertical lines. I could not switch to another virtual terminal and I could not stop X.
Following a hard reboot, KDE started just fine and everything worked well until I tried to run kbounce again. The same lockup happened. This happened two more times. (I was trying to recreate the problem and having spectacular success!)
After that, KDE started not working well. I don't have the exact error messages, but it's not surprising that a couple of hard reboots while KDE is running can cause some problems.
I'd like some advice on how to fix the problems.
My first thought is to reinstall the kde packages from the installation disks using upgradepkg * --reinstall from the /kde and /kdei directories.
I wouldn't necessarily reinstall all of KDE, sounds like a kbounce issue. Try removing the configurations and preferences for the user in their home directory (ex. /home/user/.kde) and see if the problem persists. Try creating another user and see if the same issue comes about when starting kbounce, if so, submit it to the KDE development team.
When KDE exhibits problems after a non-graceful exit, one typical solution is to delete all associated temp files. They are located in $HOME/.kde/cache-boxname, $HOME/.kde/socket-boxname, and $HOME/.kde/tmp-boxname. These directories actually are sym links to /tmp and /var/tmp locations.
Another common startup problem is sessions. Those files are located in $HOME/.kde/share/config/session.
From outside of KDE, remove all files and subdirectories in these locations. Do not remove the parent directories.
Deleting these temporary files requires booting into runlevel 3, or not immediately logging in as the problematic user and then modifying/copying files as root.
Another option is to run problematic KDE apps from Konsole. Then typical stdout and stderr messages will appear in the Konsole window and might provide some clues. This approach can be used with strace too, but filtering through an strace output is a challenge for most non-developer types.
When I experience problems with KDE I first create a copy of my $HOME/.kde directory. Then if things get out of hand, I can restore to a known good point from the backup directory.
Thanks for the troubleshooting tips, guys. KDE is back up and running without problems so far after running jfs_fsck. I have not tried deleting the sessions and other temp files, but I'll do that next. I've still got to see why kbounce suddenly started catastrophically crashing Slackware!