LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
kryptobs2000
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 306

Rep: Reputation: 30
Slackware 10.1 sata.i dosn't support my sata controller


I'm using the DFI 250gb Lanparty UT and I'm using the Silicon Image Sil 3114 sata controller because the Nvidia sata controller has issues with overclocking. I heard that slackware 10.1 dosn't support this controller, how do I get it installed.

Also, if I boot from the cd as if doing a normal install, and I run cfdisk it detects something. It's about 658mb or something like that, and it says there is no write support, what is this???
 
Old 02-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
onelung02
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: utah
Distribution: Slackware 10.0, Gentoo 2006.0
Posts: 289

Rep: Reputation: 30
Probably the cd that you are booting from, considering the size and no w permission.

I believe when you run the command cfdisk you have to specicy a device, are you sure that you aren't pointing it to your cdrom?

-onelung
 
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
WMD
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 484

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Also, if I boot from the cd as if doing a normal install, and I run cfdisk it detects something. It's about 658mb or something like that, and it says there is no write support, what is this???
...your CD drive?

As for the controller, there is a driver called "Silicon Image SATA", but I don't know what it is. Are your drives really not found? Check for them...I think SATA usually comes up as /dev/hde.
 
Old 02-27-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
kryptobs2000
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
hmm... very good point about the cdrom lol, can't believe I didn't think of that myself. I will try pointing to the drive itself, I never had to do that with my old ide drive though. Thanks for the suggestion. Where would the sata drive be? /dev/hde? so I'd just put "cfdisk /dev/hde"?

edit: well cfdisk /dev/hda did not work, it said it failed to open the device.

edit2: figured it out /dev/sda, and it works fine Thanks alot guys

Last edited by kryptobs2000; 02-27-2005 at 07:22 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Keth-Andril
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm having a similar problem to kryptobs2000. I'm trying to boot slackware 12.0 from a dvd onto a SATA WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA or an IDE WDC WD400BB-00CLB0. When I run 'fdisk,' I can't seem to find either of these drives with /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX. /hdc detects my dvd drive. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Last edited by Keth-Andril; 12-02-2007 at 06:50 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,173

Rep: Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptobs2000 View Post
I'm using the DFI 250gb Lanparty UT and I'm using the Silicon Image Sil 3114 sata controller because the Nvidia sata controller has issues with overclocking. I heard that slackware 10.1 dosn't support this controller, how do I get it installed.

Also, if I boot from the cd as if doing a normal install, and I run cfdisk it detects something. It's about 658mb or something like that, and it says there is no write support, what is this???
Glad you figured it out. Slackware 10.1 is a bit outdated now. Is there any particular reason you don't want to run 12.0?
 
Old 12-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Alien_Hominid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Lithuania
Distribution: Hybrid
Posts: 2,247

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth-Andril View Post
I'm having a similar problem to kryptobs2000. I'm trying to boot slackware 12.0 from a dvd onto a SATA WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA or an IDE WDC WD400BB-00CLB0. When I run 'fdisk,' I can't seem to find either of these drives with /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX. /hdc detects my dvd drive. Is there something I can do to fix this?
Which kernel? Try hugesmp kernel and I believe there is SATA kernel choice too.
 
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Keth-Andril
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I figured it out. I was trying to boot from Windows instead of the Slackware DVD. got it figured out though
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mandrake 10.1 ALi PCI SATA Controller support? Isaacariah Linux - Hardware 1 09-15-2005 11:03 PM
Linux support for maxtor SATA 150 controller? Synesthesia Linux - Hardware 3 07-28-2005 11:10 AM
Linux support for maxtor SATA 150 controller? Synesthesia Linux - General 1 06-25-2005 05:35 PM
SATA Controller with good Linux support ganja_guru Linux - Hardware 7 06-16-2005 10:21 AM
rebuilding kernel to support 3112 sata controller... Jestrik Linux - Hardware 3 04-20-2004 08:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration