slackpkg upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 and now LILO can't find my HD
I used slackpkg to upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 (update, install-new, upgrade-all, clean-system), which I've done before for previous upgrades and everything seemed to go ok this time until I tried rebooting.
Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/sda")
I answered 'yes' to the 'do you want to run LILO' question after it installed the new kernel.
e2fsck complains about a bad superblock saying it's either the wrong filesystem or that it's corrupt.
It lets me boot into single-user mode and I tried fdisk and cfdisk and I can't find the hard drive at all.
My lilo.conf and fstab are the same as they've always been as far as I can tell.
I wouldn't think that upgrading versions would corrupt my hard drive.
And no, I have no backups, unfortunately, since there's nothing of great importance on this machine. It's more something for me to tinker with and learn Linux, so if I have to reinstall, it's not the end of the world, but I'd like to be able to fix it if possible.
Any help would be much appreciated--thanks in advance.
Probably you need to either boot with the hugesmp kernel or create a new initrd.
Boot from a 12.2 install disk (or usbboot image) and see if your raid partitions and data are still intact.
I have the same problem, and I have noticed that just before the fault, it complains about a udev failure.
I didn't have time to try it, but I think I know the solution: when you upgrade, there are new config files that are not activated.
Boot from a Slackware bootdisk and mount your partition; eg.
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
now go to /mnt/etc and search for the new config files:
find . -name "*.new"
There will be probably some new scripts in rc.d: check the diferences with the old ones, modify whatever you need and remove the .new extension.
It should work fine after reboot.
I'll try it this evening.
I booted the with my old slackware 12.1 and then mounted my partition:
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
I went to my rc.d directory: cd /mnt/etc/rc.d
And then, I renamed the file rc.udev.new to rc.udev.
After that, I was able to boot from my hard disk again.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.|