LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   slackpkg uopgrade-all question so I don't do the wrong thing (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackpkg-uopgrade-all-question-so-i-dont-do-the-wrong-thing-718652/)

joutlancpa 04-12-2009 03:41 PM

slackpkg uopgrade-all question so I don't do the wrong thing
 
yesterday I installed Xfce 4.6.0 from RW's site. Love it. When I go to do upgrade, /var/xxpkg/log was messed up, so I had it remove the reference to Xfce 4.4.3 and left 4.6.0. So now when I do a slackpkg upgrade-all it gives me a ncurses dialog which says select the pkg's to upgrade, and only lists Xfce 4.4.3 and at the bottom says currently installed 4.6.0* I hit cancel. Do I need to set something somewhere? I shouldn't be ugprading old packages should I? Or are these residual packages I still have? thanks for some guidance to a newbie.

john

slackass 04-12-2009 04:01 PM

Try "slackpkg blacklist xfce4"
I think that should do it.

Alien Bob 04-12-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezoid (Post 3506657)
So now when I do a slackpkg upgrade-all it gives me a ncurses dialog which says select the pkg's to upgrade, and only lists Xfce 4.4.3 and at the bottom says currently installed 4.6.0*

You should realize that slackpkg only works with official Slackware packages. So, even though you installed XFCE 4.6.0, the official version is 4.4.3 and that is what "slackpkg upgrade-all" will try to install.

You will have to blacklist xfce so that slackpkg will no longer consider it during upgrades.

In Slackware, upgrading from a higher to a lower version (4.6.0 -> 4.4.3) is allowed by the pkgtools.

Eric

joutlancpa 04-12-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 3506673)
You should realize that slackpkg only works with official Slackware packages. So, even though you installed XFCE 4.6.0, the official version is 4.4.3 and that is what "slackpkg upgrade-all" will try to install.

You will have to blacklist xfce so that slackpkg will no longer consider it during upgrades.

In Slackware, upgrading from a higher to a lower version (4.6.0 -> 4.4.3) is allowed by the pkgtools.

Eric

OK...I understand...so if an Xfce upgrade comes along, I just reinstall from say, RW's site? On this laptop, I really wanted the powermanager...thanks I've blacklisted all Xfce4 pkg's.

joutlancpa 04-12-2009 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...I did the blacklisting, and rebooted....this is what slackpkg upgrade-all gives me: I'm still trying to understand all this...bear with me :D

1337 04-12-2009 05:34 PM

Do you have a mirror set in /etc/mirrors? You should uncomment ONLY ONE mirror.

Also, what is the contents of /etc/slackpkg/blacklist? If the blacklist was successful, you should have an entry for xfce4.

Finally, you need to run slackpkg update before running slackpkg upgrade-all.

Let me know if this helps.

joutlancpa 04-12-2009 05:52 PM

1337....Update was run prior, only ONE mirror is uncommented, and here is my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file contents...I sense something is missing :D thanks:

Code:

# This is a blacklist file. Any packages listed here won't be
# upgraded, removed, or installed by slackpkg.
#
# The correct syntax is:
#
# To blacklist the package xfree86-devel-4.3.0-i386-1 the line will be:
# xfree86-devel
#
# DON'T put any blank line(s) or any space(s) before or after the package name.
# If you do this, the blacklist will NOT work.
#
# Automated upgrade of kernel packages aren't a good idea (and you need to
# run "lilo" after upgrade). If you think the same, uncomment the lines
# below
#
#kernel-ide
#kernel-modules
#kernel-source
#kernel-headers

#
# aaa_elflibs can't be updated.
#
aaa_elflibs

#
# Now we can blacklist whole directories
# The two versions of udev inside that dir conflicts with
# Slackware 11.0's default udev (in /slackware).
/extra/udev-alternate-versions

xfce4-datetime-plugin
xfce4-mount-plugin
xfce4-notes-plugin
xfce4-places-plugin
xfce4-power-manager
xfce4-volstatus-icon


bgeddy 04-12-2009 06:05 PM

I think the command should be :

Code:

slackpkg blacklist xfce
ran as root to create the blacklist.

joutlancpa 04-12-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddy (Post 3506748)
I think the command should be :

Code:

slackpkg blacklist xfce
ran as root to create the blacklist.

that did it...!! thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.