slackpkg md5sum errors with two different motherboards
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
slackpkg md5sum errors with two different motherboards
When using slackpkg (or any other method of downloading via the console like links and wget), I get several md5sum errors. When upgrading from 12.1 to 12.2 rc1, about 25% of the packages failed with md5sum errors. If I re-run slackpkg upgrade-all, almost all of them fail again, but a few will install successfully. But the thing is, I can download the entire slackware dvd and get the right md5sum. If I try to download the nvidia drivers via links, it works about half the time, and I get checksum errors the other half. I know there's nothing wrong with my network or router. I installed 12.1 on my laptop then upgraded to current via slackpkg and had no issues at all.
I was also having some video card issues and getting the dreaded nvidia Xid errors, so I thought maybe the PCIE bus on my board was dying. But then again I could reboot to xp and play games for hours with no issues. So I tried a new board, and I still have both problems.
I thought TCP retransmits any packets with a bad CRC, so I don't see how I could get this many corrupted downloads.
I've done extensive memory testing and found nothing wrong there. I've also tried a different network cable and different ports on my router, and it didn't help.
I've ruled out the network hardware, motherboard, and memory. It has to be a software issue since it only happens with console based downloads. But then again, my laptop worked fine with all the same packages. I really don't know what to try next... any ideas?
I just solved my video card problem by changing my memory into a single channel configuration. I also noticed that if I boot into runlevel 3 and use slackpkg without starting X, all packages download and install with no issues. It seems to only happen while X is running, so I'm wondering if it's related to my X server/video card problem. Although it's still happening even though my video card issue seems to be fixed.
I just don't know how the X server or nvidia driver could be causing corrupted downloads.
I guess I spoke too soon. It still does happen when the server isn't running... it just takes longer before they start getting corrupted.
There are no bad blocks on the hard drive, and it happens when I download the file to either of two drives.
Also, slackpkg can't find any packages named gpg.
I noticed that my network card is sharing an IRQ with my sound card, I wonder if that could be causing it? I haven't seen IRQ issues in years, but I guess it's possible. I'll try getting the network card on its own IRQ and see if that helps.
Whoops, didn't notice that. I just tried "slackpkg update gpg" though and I'm still getting md5sum errors.
I'm going to remove 2gb of memory and see if that helps anything. Since changing the memory to single channel mode fixed my video driver, I'm wondering if maybe there are some issues using 4gb on a 32bit kernel.
I did have md5sum errors before that were caused by bad memory, but that was different. If I ran md5sum on the same file twice in a row, I would get two different md5sums. But I replaced the memory, and I don't have that problem anymore. I also reformatted and reinstalled slack 12.1 after replacing the memory.
I just tried downloading the new Slackware 12.2 DVD from the slackware.cs.utah.edu mirror via firefox. The checksum didn't match up, so apparently the problem is not just limited to wget or console downloads. However, I never have any issues browsing the web, using remote desktop or ssh with X11 forwarding.
I just did a data integrity check on the ISO in ktorrent and it found 27 corrupted chunks out of about 2000, so about 1% of the file is corrupted. I'm finishing the download via ktorrent to make sure the md5sum matches up, then I'm going to try reinstalling all of my packages from the disc.
It turned out to be the memory afterall. When I got my new replacement memory, I ran memtest86+ and windows memory diagnostics for a few hours with no errors and assumed the memory was good. However, I decided to re-test it since I couldn't find anything else wrong. I booted up with one stick and all downloads were corrupted. Then I booted up with the other stick and had no problems.
Luckily it's OCZ so I can get it replaced again without much hassle.