LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
dr.s
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 134

Rep: Reputation: 20
Question Slackpkg install-new question


Machine is running Slackware 14, many unused packages have been removed. When running "slackpkg install-new", it displays the following (see attachement):
  • bluedevil-1.2.3-i486-1.txz
  • calligra-2.4.3-i486-4.txz
  • wicd-kde-0.3.0_bcf27d8-i486-1.txz
  • quanta-29a3f8e_20111223git-i486-1.txz
In a Slack 14 VM, I tested this again and removed the whole kde series and some non-kde packages as well. "slackpkg install-new" listed only the kde packages to be installed. If i understood the slackpkg man page correctly, this shouldn't happen as this is not an upgrade to a new version and I'm not running current.
Code:
install-new
            This  action installs any new packages that are added to the offi-
            cial Slackware package set.  Run this if you  are  upgrading  your
            system to another Slackware version or if you are using -current.
Why does slackpkg only suggest the removed kde packages but not others? thunderbird and seamonkey were also removed for instance but the install-new option does not list them. In other words, it seems that only the kde series is treated as new.
Attached Images
File Type: png snapshot1.png (12.4 KB, 19 views)
 
Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,412

Rep: Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122
Here new means "recently added among the official packages", according to the Changelog (looking for the 'added' word in it). It won't propose you already shipped packages you uninstalled or didn't install.
 
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
beder
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Here new means "recently added among the official packages", according to the Changelog (looking for the 'added' word in it). It won't propose you already shipped packages you uninstalled or didn't install.
And that's why it says "Run this if you are upgrading your
system to another Slackware version or if you are using -current."

It's not designed to reinstall packages that ship in a FULL install that you might have uninstalled; for that you have run "install packagename" for each one of them
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
STDOUBT
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Stumptown
Distribution: Slackware 14.0/32bit + Xmonad
Posts: 265

Rep: Reputation: 62
If I might interject here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beder View Post
And that's why it says "Run this if you are upgrading your
system to another Slackware version or if you are using -current."

It's not designed to reinstall packages that ship in a FULL install that you might have uninstalled; for that you have run "install packagename" for each one of them
That's interesting. Beginning with 13.1 I've been using "install-new" as part of my regular updating:
# slackpkg update
# slackpkg install-new
# slackpkg upgrade-all

Not sure where I got the idea that this was the correct way to maintain a discrete Slackware version.

In the past, and on my other machine running 13.37, "install-new" has pulled in single packages which are indeed new to the running Slackware version.
So would I be correct in stating that during the lifetime of a specific Slackware version it is not to be expected that official packages be added?

I'm asking because I removed all of KDE (slackpkg remove kde), and can't run "install-new" without slackpkg wanting to re-install a big bunch of what I just removed.

Last edited by STDOUBT; 11-01-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: completeness
 
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,412

Rep: Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
So would I be correct in stating that during the lifetime of a specific Slackware version it is not to be expected that official packages be added?

I'm asking because I removed all of KDE (slackpkg remove kde), and can't run "install-new" without slackpkg wanting to re-install a big bunch of what I just removed.
Usually we don't see that much added packages in a stable version, but nobody can prevent PV to do that if so inclined as he is our BDFL

About slackpkg what it does when invoked with the --install-new option is scanning the Changelog with following regular expression (quoted from /usr/libexec/slackpkg/install-new.awk on Slackware 13.37):
Code:
/^(a|ap|d|e|f|k|kde|kdei|l|mac|n|t|tcl|x|xap|y)\/([a-zA-Z0-9_\+.\-]+):.* ([Aa]dded|[Ss]plit|[Rr]enamed|[Mm]oved|[Nn]ame [Cc]hange|NAME CHANGE|[Ss]witched).*/
This catches not only "added" or "Added" but for instance "Name Change", "Renamed" or "Moved" as well.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 11-02-2012 at 12:21 PM.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,315

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Usually we don't see that much added packages in a stable version, but nobody can prevent PV to do that if so inclined as he is our BDFL

About slackpkg what it does when invoked with the --install-new option is scanning the Changelog with following regular expression (quoted from /usr/libexec/slackpkg/install-new.awk on Slackware 13.37):
Code:
/^(a|ap|d|e|f|k|kde|kdei|l|mac|n|t|tcl|x|xap|y)\/([a-zA-Z0-9_\+.\-]+):.* ([Aa]dded|[Ss]plit|[Rr]enamed|[Mm]oved|[Nn]ame [Cc]hange|NAME CHANGE|[Ss]witched).*/
This catches not only "added or Added" but for instance "Name Change", "Renamed" or "Moved" as well.
New packages are not being added to stable releases of Slackware.
There has been one exception to this rule when Pat added a kernel package to the patches of Slackware 13.0 to resolve a local root exploit that was getting much attention.
The ChangeLog will never have attributes of "Name Change", "Renamed" or "Moved" so there is no point in adding a check for this in slackpkg.

Eric
 
Old 11-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,412

Rep: Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The ChangeLog will never have attributes of "Name Change", "Renamed" or "Moved" so there is no point in adding a check for this in slackpkg
I didn't express an opinion on the relevance of these checks, just wanted to inform accurately STDOUBT how slackpkg works in that case.

EDIT And 'grep Moved Changelog.txt' (Slackware 13.37) do output some results.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: EDIT added.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,315

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah you are right, I mis-read your post.

Eroc
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackpkg question . . . lmitcham Linux - Newbie 5 01-16-2012 03:14 PM
[SOLVED] Slackpkg question.... linus72 Slackware 11 08-11-2010 07:13 AM
slackpkg question Akheron Linux - Newbie 3 06-07-2009 01:20 PM
Slackpkg upgrade question chocloman Slackware 5 05-01-2007 01:28 PM
slackpkg question ralvy Slackware 2 11-19-2004 04:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration