LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #16
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,589

Rep: Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842

I generated a new Cinnamon ISO last night on a virtual machine using this command:
Code:
./make_slackware_live.sh -d CINNAMON -s /mnt/auto/sox/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware
The directory "/mnt/auto/sox/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/" contains the "slackware64-current" subdirectory with a full Slackware mirror, created using my mirror script.
The liveslak scripts were cloned using the command:
Code:
git clone git://bear.alienbase.nl/liveslak.git ; cd liveslak
The process went flawlessly.
 
Old 04-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #17
ansisys
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2015
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@AlienBob

So you have been able to create Cinnamon flavor of the SlackwareLive. That's a good news. Can you then provide step by step instructions, please?

Last edited by ansisys; 04-21-2017 at 06:45 AM.
 
Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #18
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 3,632

Rep: Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952Reputation: 952
I think he already gives instructions on top of your posting
 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
ansisys
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2015
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysr View Post
I think he already gives instructions on top of your posting
I agree it is some sort of instruction, but not a step by step one.The reason for asking for step-by-step instruction is the fact, that I tired to create "CINNAMON" version so many times and every time there was something missing on my end My question is just sort of result of growing frustration due to my own inability to complete such a simple task successfully
Nevertheless I'll do give it a shot once again and will report back if all finished as expected. ps. Wish me luck.
 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #20
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,589

Rep: Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansisys View Post
I agree it is some sort of instruction, but not a step by step one.The reason for asking for step-by-step instruction is the fact, that I tired to create "CINNAMON" version so many times and every time there was something missing on my end My question is just sort of result of growing frustration due to my own inability to complete such a simple task successfully
Nevertheless I'll do give it a shot once again and will report back if all finished as expected. ps. Wish me luck.
Try my instructions again from post #16, and this time do not download any Slackware package in advance. I have updated liveslak (it's now at version 1.1.7) so that it will download the Slackware packages all by itself instead of aborting with an error. That way, I can be certain that a full Slackware repository is available locally. According to the error you posted, your locally mirrored Slackware repository was most likely missing the ./isolinux directory, which happens if you only download the package directory (./slackware64)
 
Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
ansisys
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2015
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you message, but personal matters were hindering me from doing anything in regard to Slackware. It ought to be better now.

As for the task as per topic, the creation of the unfortunate Cinnamon live iso didn't go quite well. There was another "unusual" error comming up this time.

Code:
Updating the package lists...
        Downloading...
                Saving ChangeLog.txt from repository slackpkgplus ...

                Repository restricted has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository alienbob has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository ktown has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository mate has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository studioware has no ChangeLog.txt.


                        !!! F A T A L !!!
    Repository 'studioware' FAILS the CHECKSUMS.md5 download
    The repository may be invalid and will be SKIPPED.

Files /var/lib/slackpkg/ChangeLog.txt and /tmp/slackpkg.PWzalb/ChangeLog.txt differ

                List of all files
                Checksums
                Package List
                Package descriptions
        Formatting lists to slackpkg style...
                Package List: using CHECKSUMS.md5 as source
                Package descriptions


==============================================================================
  WARNING! One or more errors occurred while slackpkg was running
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
studioware: SKIPPING Invalid repository (fails to download CHECKSUMS.md5)
    ( http://slackware.uk/studioware/current/CHECKSUMS.md5 )

138608 blocks
patching file /mnt/slackwarelive/sbin/liloconfig
patching file /mnt/slackwarelive/usr/sbin/eliloconfig
Hunk #2 FAILED at 90.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /mnt/slackwarelive/usr/sbin/eliloconfig.rej
*** ./make_slackware_live.sh FAILED at line 1425 ***
--- Cleaning up the staging area...
These are the steps that I've executed:

1. git clone git://bear.alienbase.nl/liveslak.git ; cd liveslak
2. root@slackvm:~/liveslak# ./make_slackware_live.sh -d CINNAMON -O cinnamon.iso

Should I maybe first get one of your liveslaks, make it installed on hdd (virtualmaschine or not) and then execute steps 1 and 2? At the moment I'm doing it on previously installed slackware on vm. It was installed from mini.iso. I guess it shouldn't be an issue, should it?

ps. Eric, I appreciate your time spent on this. We are definitely a bit closer to the solution, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Try my instructions again from post #16, and this time do not download any Slackware package in advance. I have updated liveslak (it's now at version 1.1.7) so that it will download the Slackware packages all by itself instead of aborting with an error. That way, I can be certain that a full Slackware repository is available locally. According to the error you posted, your locally mirrored Slackware repository was most likely missing the ./isolinux directory, which happens if you only download the package directory (./slackware64)
 
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #22
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,589

Rep: Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842Reputation: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansisys View Post
I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you message, but personal matters were hindering me from doing anything in regard to Slackware. It ought to be better now.

As for the task as per topic, the creation of the unfortunate Cinnamon live iso didn't go quite well. There was another "unusual" error comming up this time.

Code:
Updating the package lists...
        Downloading...
                Saving ChangeLog.txt from repository slackpkgplus ...

                Repository restricted has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository alienbob has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository ktown has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository mate has no ChangeLog.txt.

                Repository studioware has no ChangeLog.txt.


                        !!! F A T A L !!!
    Repository 'studioware' FAILS the CHECKSUMS.md5 download
    The repository may be invalid and will be SKIPPED.

Files /var/lib/slackpkg/ChangeLog.txt and /tmp/slackpkg.PWzalb/ChangeLog.txt differ

                List of all files
                Checksums
                Package List
                Package descriptions
        Formatting lists to slackpkg style...
                Package List: using CHECKSUMS.md5 as source
                Package descriptions


==============================================================================
  WARNING! One or more errors occurred while slackpkg was running
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
studioware: SKIPPING Invalid repository (fails to download CHECKSUMS.md5)
    ( http://slackware.uk/studioware/current/CHECKSUMS.md5 )
This is the result of the fact that the Studioware team still has to get used to creating a proper repository. The repository can be commented out for now and the error will be gone.
Quote:
Code:
138608 blocks
patching file /mnt/slackwarelive/sbin/liloconfig
patching file /mnt/slackwarelive/usr/sbin/eliloconfig
Hunk #2 FAILED at 90.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /mnt/slackwarelive/usr/sbin/eliloconfig.rej
*** ./make_slackware_live.sh FAILED at line 1425 ***
--- Cleaning up the staging area...
This is the result of a modification of Slackware's eliloconfig script (to properly handle NVMe devices) which causes my patch to no longer apply.

Quote:
These are the steps that I've executed:

1. git clone git://bear.alienbase.nl/liveslak.git ; cd liveslak
2. root@slackvm:~/liveslak# ./make_slackware_live.sh -d CINNAMON -O cinnamon.iso

Should I maybe first get one of your liveslaks, make it installed on hdd (virtualmaschine or not) and then execute steps 1 and 2? At the moment I'm doing it on previously installed slackware on vm. It was installed from mini.iso. I guess it shouldn't be an issue, should it?

ps. Eric, I appreciate your time spent on this. We are definitely a bit closer to the solution, I guess
If you wait for new commits in the repository, I will have fixed the eliloconfig patch, and disabled the studioware repo. I am re-spinning a Live ISO now to see if my liveslak updates have been done correctly.
 
Old 05-10-2017, 02:22 AM   #23
ansisys
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2015
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
This is the result of the fact that the Studioware team still has to get used to creating a proper repository. The repository can be commented out for now and the error will be gone.

This is the result of a modification of Slackware's eliloconfig script (to properly handle NVMe devices) which causes my patch to no longer apply.



If you wait for new commits in the repository, I will have fixed the eliloconfig patch, and disabled the studioware repo. I am re-spinning a Live ISO now to see if my liveslak updates have been done correctly.
I think a week or two shouldn't make to much of a difference for me. It's quite some time now since I started creating this Cinnamon thing and despite all the efforts of the living and the dead preventing me from doing so I still haven't lost hope
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] List non-mandatory leaf packages [CentOS 5.4] carbonfiber Red Hat 2 02-21-2010 03:39 AM
list installed package files and how to know which package a file belongs bujecas Slackware 3 01-09-2010 03:14 PM
Do you know something about mandatory PYTHON package?? madani Linux - Software 1 03-13-2009 08:24 AM
Get rpm package file list and config informations tobiasw Linux - Newbie 1 10-22-2006 05:39 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration