Slack64-current: X questions, Ext4 question
This Thread is where I *was* going to post but I decided my post was getting too broad and didn't want to throw that thread out of whack..
While I haven't had *exactly* the same problems as the above posters, I do have an 'issue' or two with X that may warrant a report: There's no transparency available on the desktop, (and RANDR does not work.). Compositing *seems* to work, but I really don't know if it is (how would I know without using eye-candy?)
I am using multiple monitors with Xinerama, so take that into account when considering this, as it is 99% likely that the Xinerama is inhibiting the RANDR though I am not certain, but as for transparency (and composite?), I have always had transparency on the desktop; I use it for Xterm windows.
Till 64-current came out, I've always used Slackware 11 (still am actually much of the time) with the nVidia driver (binary) and KDE and/or XFCE desktop.
Current setup: 64-current, nvidia-185.18.14_x86-64, MSI nVidia motherboard, dual PCI-E cards, dual LCD monitors.
Also note-- I haven't been using Slackpkg to keep this current; instead I am just rsync'ing the latest changes every day or two and manually updating. I haven't noted any problems with leftover files or similar issues with upgrading packages, but then I haven't been closely watching for that either.
1 -- should I have/need/want composite if I don't use any Compiz stuff? How to tell if it's working?
2 -- I'd like RANDR to work if possible; can it be done with Xinerama?
(The xorg log tells me that both the RANDR and Composite extensions are loaded)
3 - it
P.S. - I am still using an xorg.conf file with the server-layout, device, screen sections in it for the multiple monitors to work; without xorg.conf, my mouse/keyboard worked, but the 2 monitors did not. I added a couple lines to xorg.conf to prevent HAL from grabbing my input devices.
3) Ext4 Filesystem: are you using it? Are you finding it slow as hell? Or is it just me/something else making it look slow? Moving files/large blocks of data, and deleting files, seems really slow. I have been toying with the idea of a reinstall onto Ext2 for a comparison. What do you think?
Keep up the good work!
PS - also note, I have not yet rsynced today, so if something has changed that nay affect my post, please let me know. I'll re-sync today.
One question ... did you reinstall the Nvidia driver after upgrading X.Org?
If not, amongst other things, you lose acceleration.
xdpyinfo will let you know if the extensions are loaded
I bought a new laptop a few days ago (Lenovo ThinkPad T61 with a 5400 RPM SATA HDD) and installed slackware64-current onto an ext4 file system. I can't see real difference for now with my old laptop (7200 RPM HDD with Reiserfs file system).
Anyhow to make a comparison I would format a small partition using ext2 (for instance) instead of reinstalling.
Did you try to tune your HDD with hdparm ?
I haven't noticed any speed difference between ext3 and ext4.
Hi, thanks to all who have replied so quick!
Bruce - yes, I reinstall the nvidia driver whenever there's any question, i.e. any upgrade, downgrade, kernel change etc.
Kodon - thank you, I didn't know of that command. I will check and post the output soon.
Didier, Merci -- thanks for your comparison/estimate of your situation. I have HDPARM running for error checking etc., but have not for quite a while actually set anything on any of my drives. I determined a while back that anything I was setting was getting set already automatically by the drive/BIOS/kernel already.
As for formatting a small part of the drive, I find it hard to believe but I am running out of 'spare' room on the drive :P so I was figuring since it's more a 'testing' install anyhow, I may just wipe it and reinstall; this way I don't need another partition (there are already like 12 partitions on this drive).
Brian - thanks to you too for your comparison there.
I just rsynced the latest changes so I will go check/reinstall the nvidia driver and check the output from 'xdpyinfo'
I too am using ext4, and it's working fine. It feels a bit faster but this may be due to the fact that I was using a totally encrypted disk layout before, whereas now I'm encrypting only the /home, swap and /tmp partitions.
OK, below is the output from my current running setup. I added the following to xorg.conf:
(tried) In the server flags section:
Option "xrandr" "true"
and (tried) at the end of the file:
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "Xrandr" "Enable"
But nothing changed. Xdpyinfo shows the exact same thing.
I have another issue too but will start another thread on it.
I just noticed that when I try the 'xrandr' option in the 'Extensions' section at the bottom of the file, the X server hangs and won't start :/
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.|