LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
GrapefruiTgirl
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Slack64-current - CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE doesn't kill X


I remember reading somewhere amongst the changelog that X or part thereof was being (re)built to continue offering the X-killing keystroke, but it doesn't work for me.
I'd like it to work though, if possible.

I tried disabling 'DontZap' in xorg.conf but no difference.

Anyone else find they can't kill X like this? Or did someone's mind change and the zapper is now NOT enabled?

Thanks.
Sasha
 
Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It works here. I just checked. I don't have DontZap or anything in my xorg.conf.
I noticed that the new 1.6.2 xorg-server doesnt have a patch to get back the default Ctrl-Alt-Backspace behaviour like the 1.6.1 did.
I don't know if they reverted that change from upstream. But like i said it works.
 
Old 07-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
veeall
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Estonia
Distribution: Slackware 12.1, slackware64-current
Posts: 252

Rep: Reputation: 43
But Alt+PrintScr+k should do the same as i have found out from the internet. And it does on my slack64 box.
 
Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
GrapefruiTgirl
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
But Alt+PrintScr+k should do the same as i have found out from the internet. And it does on my slack64 box.
Thank you but I'd rather not need to resort to SysRq magic to kill X when the usual method should work.

I probably have a wrong version of X installed; will need to investigate again.

Thanks!

Sasha
 
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
grissiom
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: China, Beijing
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 45
In the ChangeLog:
Code:
Wed Jun 10 13:23:30 CDT 2009
This batch of updates includes a major overhaul of X.Org -- thanks to Robby
Workman for doing a huge amount of work updating the build scripts and testing
everything.  A large number of packages were recompiled or upgraded to drop
references to the now-obsolete libxcb-xlib and libXaw8 libraries.  We have
workarounds in place for old binaries so it wasn't strictly required, but
recompiling anyway gives a cleaner system.  Enjoy!
...
l/hal-0.5.11-x86_64-5.txz:  Rebuilt.  Patched 10-keymap.fdi to allow the
  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to continue to "zap" the X server as
  the default has been for decades.  Thanks to Robby Workman.
...
And hal never get update since then. So I think it should work... (At least on my box it works
 
Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
GrapefruiTgirl
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
AHA -- there's the part I neglected to remember/note! Thank you grissiom;

I have yet to 'deal with' anything HAL-related. HAL is entirely new to me, and since things are 'mostly' working as yet, I have not taken the time to do any research or configuration on HAL.

(This is assuming I actually have to put the key-combination into the HAL file; if I do not because it's already there, then it's still not working but if I actually need to add it myself, this thread can be considered [solved] until I learn otherwise.)

I do have the same HAL package as the changelog mentions, and Xorg-server is 1.6.2-build-1, so I'm ----


EDIT: OK, I have options in my xorg.conf which cause HAL to skip my input devices, and I think this is why it is ignoring my CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I put the options so I wouldn't have to deal with HAL yet and lo and behold I've snaggled myself as a result!
The option(s) I am using are the bold ones(s):

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
#    Option         "AutoAddDevices" "False"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection
Looks like I will need to deal with HAL after all.
 
Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,383

Rep: Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post

EDIT: OK, I have options in my xorg.conf which cause HAL to skip my input devices, and I think this is why it is ignoring my CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I put the options so I wouldn't have to deal with HAL yet and lo and behold I've snaggled myself as a result!
The option(s) I am using are the bold ones(s):

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
#    Option         "AutoAddDevices" "False"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection
Looks like I will need to deal with HAL after all.
Damn. That was exactly the approach I was planning to take as well. It looks like I'm gonna have to do some reading on the HAL/X.org interaction. I really hope that configuration statements aren't going to be spread all over the place.
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by grissiom View Post
In the ChangeLog:
Code:
Wed Jun 10 13:23:30 CDT 2009
This batch of updates includes a major overhaul of X.Org -- thanks to Robby
Workman for doing a huge amount of work updating the build scripts and testing
everything.  A large number of packages were recompiled or upgraded to drop
references to the now-obsolete libxcb-xlib and libXaw8 libraries.  We have
workarounds in place for old binaries so it wasn't strictly required, but
recompiling anyway gives a cleaner system.  Enjoy!
...
l/hal-0.5.11-x86_64-5.txz:  Rebuilt.  Patched 10-keymap.fdi to allow the
  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to continue to "zap" the X server as
  the default has been for decades.  Thanks to Robby Workman.
...
And hal never get update since then. So I think it should work... (At least on my box it works
Oh right, the patch was in HAL, not the server itself.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
BGSLC
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
using ctrl-alt-backspace when keyboard layouts enabled in kde

in this case, the sequence ctrl-alt-backspace was not working until selected in the advanced tab of keyboard layout control module in kde.
took me a lot of time to discover this one!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dark screen when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace or Ctrl + Alt F1-F6 in Gnome or KDE trinoo Slackware 5 01-28-2005 08:13 AM
ctrl-alt-backspace does a hard kill on comp peeples Linux - Hardware 1 03-07-2004 09:17 AM
CTRL-ALT-Backspace won't kill X. zzzt Linux - General 4 01-08-2004 08:39 PM
Cannot use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill X tmorton Linux - Laptop and Netbook 3 11-11-2003 06:25 PM
Can't kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace anymore! Mega Man X Linux - General 2 07-25-2003 03:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration