I am currently running Redhat 7.3 on my Dell Inspiron 8000. By this point I do just about all my configurations by hand, and the RPM packaging is really starting to get to me (I'd much rather compile source at this point).
So I am looking to switch to Slackware 8.1, but am just concerned about getting all the hardware running as Redhat has done a pretty good job configuring it all.
My major area's of concern are:
- My modular drives- I have a modular DVD and floppy drive - back in the day when I used mandrake I was never quite able to get it to read my modular drives
- Sound - I've heard getting sound configured has always been a bit tricky
- Video - not too concerned here, I figure the same alterations I had to make to my XF86Config-4 file in Redhat & Mandrake should work for slack as well
- PCMIA - I don't really have any PCMIA cards, but in the event I do I'd like to have it work
- And all the other little laptop things, like my battery, the fixed cd-rw, and my NIC combo card (which I never got the modem working in any distro anyway)
I am just a little bit hesitant to switch for the reason that I haven't gotten any pointers for getting everything to work right with Slack - I couldn't find any real documentation with Slack on my laptop. Any advise is appreciated.