SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I've downloaded the Slack 9.1 install CDs and have installed them on two different machines. Both are using relatively stock configurations; nothing wacky during the initial install process. On both, LILO doesn't seem to have installed correctly. I used the default LILO installation location, and the partitions were marked as bootable. One of them (a stock Dell Poweredge 350) just blinks a cursor without even reaching LILO, the other one (homebuilt P4/850-based machine) will reach LILO but freezes after running about halfway through the initial string of periods following "loading Linux....." Both machines have valid /etc/lilo.conf files as well.
Both machines run when booted from the slack install CD, I just type in the "bare.i root=/dev/hda1 noinitrd ro" string.
Anyone got similar experiences to report, or possible fixes?
A secondary note: MySQL doesn't run correctly when set to run at startup. something in the config, mebbe? ran fine for me when I specified the socket IIRC...
I'm having the same problem. I installed Slackware 9 on one of my machines (my first Slackware install ) and everything was great. I swapped in a larger hard drive and went to install on that one, and got the problem mentioned above. No LILO, just a blinking cursor.
i attempted installing slackware 9.0 on my friend's computer and all went well until it came time to install lilo. when i tried to do this, i first tried the superblock (no dice, gave an error), and then i tried the MBR, but it also gave an error. when i booted the system after an otherwise completely successful install, it gave me the old MANDRAKE 9.1 lilo that he had from an earlier install. for whatever reason, the MBR would not purge.
i don't know of a way to purge the MBR under linux, so i may suggest getting a MSDOS bootdisk and putting the fixmbr command on it, then wiping the MBR. try to reinstall lilo over that.