Setting framebuffer console refresh rate on Slackware 12.1/GeForce 8
I've recently decided to use framebuffer (i.e. non-text-based) console on slackware 12.1 and I'd like to set refresh rate to something different than 60hz (i'd like to use 1024x768 85 hz).
1) Slackware 12.1
3) 2.6.25-7 kernel, custom built.
CONFIG_FB, CONFIG_FB_VESA is "y"
CONFIG_FB_UVESA is not set,
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is "m".
4) in /etc/lilo.conf vga line is "vga=773", which sets 1024x768 256colors mode, but (unfortunately) with 60hz refresh rate.
5) 32bit system.
6) NVIDIA_linux-173.14.09 proprietary driver.
What I've tried:
1) tried to use fbset and searched for some kind of howto for this problem, looked for nvidia-related info in HOWTO-framebuffer.
1) 1024x768-85 mode is not described in /etc/fb.modes (could be fixed by videogen, I suppose?)
2) fbset -a 1024x768-70 (should be better than 60 hz, anyway, and this mode is described in fb.modules) doesn't do anything - console video mode doesn't change. Doesn't print error messages either.
3) There doesn't seem to be any framebuffer related ("lsmod |grep fb") kernel modules loaded.
4) there is nvidiafb module available, but it isn't possible to load it (fails with "unknown symbol" error message). It is said that this module conflicts with proprietary drivers.
5) HOWTO-framebuffer doesn't mention anything about nvidia.
How do I set 1024x768-85 module? Using quick google search ("fbset GeForce 8", etc) I haven't found some kind of howto for my videocard and fbset.