LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Screenblanker (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/screenblanker-4175466877/)

JackHair 06-21-2013 09:54 AM

Screenblanker
 
Hello,

The last week I've been trying to disable the screen going blank. I've found several suggestions via google, but none seem to work.
What I've tried:
Disabled KDE screensaver.
added consoleblank=0 kernel option to lilo.conf
Change rc.M to: setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0 &
Added a script to kde-startup with:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
xset -dpms &
xset s noblank &
xset s off &

Tried both at boot and pre-boot.

But my screen keeps going blank when I watch something on Youtube, or while having a skype call.
How do I disable this?!

zakame 06-21-2013 10:02 AM

What Slackware/KDE version are you using? If it is 14.0 or later you should disable power management (e.g. by unchecking the checkbox in the KDE Battery Monitor dialog.)

JackHair 06-21-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakame (Post 4976058)
What Slackware/KDE version are you using? If it is 14.0 or later you should disable power management (e.g. by unchecking the checkbox in the KDE Battery Monitor dialog.)

Sorry, I'm on Slackware64 14.0 with kde 4.10.4.

Omg, thanks. I been looking at the wrong place. I didn't look at power management. I just turned of the screensaver at the Display&monitor settings. I hope I can do my stuff now without the screen blanking on me!

zakame 06-21-2013 10:13 AM

Hehe, no worries. I was puzzling that too for some time before it dawned on me that KDE is doing screensaving as part of its power management.

digger95 06-21-2013 10:14 AM

I had the same issue and it drove me bonkers because it prevented me from watching Netflix. Turning power management off didn't solve my issue for whatever reason. I ended up turning power management 'on' then changing 'dim display' and 'switch off display' to their maximum settings of 360 minutes.

mrclisdue 06-21-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackHair (Post 4976052)
Code:

#!/bin/sh
xset -dpms &
xset s noblank &
xset s off &


Tho' the issue is solved, there is another setting (affecting the screensaver) that *finally* worked for me in the past:

Code:

xset s noexpose
from 'man xset'

Quote:

The 'expose' flag sets the preference to allow window
exposures (the server can freely discard window contents),
while 'noexpose' sets the preference to disable screen saver
unless the server can regenerate the screens without causing
exposure events.
cheers,

JackHair 06-21-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger95 (Post 4976071)
I had the same issue and it drove me bonkers because it prevented me from watching Netflix. Turning power management off didn't solve my issue for whatever reason. I ended up turning power management 'on' then changing 'dim display' and 'switch off display' to their maximum settings of 360 minutes.

It drove me nuts too. How not looking at the right place can affect us lol. It does work for me though to turn power management off, gladly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrclisdue (Post 4976086)
Tho' the issue is solved, there is another setting (affecting the screensaver) that *finally* worked for me in the past:

Code:

xset s noexpose
from 'man xset'

cheers,

Thanks for the tip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.